FiiO X1 II (2nd Gen) w/ Bluetooth!
Mar 16, 2017 at 7:32 AM Post #2,252 of 3,121
  To tell you the truth the interface speed doesn't bother me... it DID bother me with earlier firmware versions when it took a couple of seconds to switch tracks.

It is better than it was with the early firmware for sure and it's quite usable but I'd still like to see it a bit faster. It doesn't bother me as much either but if they can get it to respond quicker then I'd be happier if they could.

Mar 16, 2017 at 7:44 AM Post #2,253 of 3,121
  To tell you the truth the interface speed doesn't bother me... it DID bother me with earlier firmware versions when it took a couple of seconds to switch tracks.

Sorry but on the latest firmware it still takes up to 5 seconds for me to switch tracks.

Mar 16, 2017 at 8:54 AM Post #2,255 of 3,121
  Sorry but on the latest firmware it still takes up to 5 seconds for me to switch tracks.

About a full second for me, maybe just over.  A shade over 6500 tracks ion the card.

Mar 16, 2017 at 10:35 AM Post #2,256 of 3,121

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't sceptical over those statements.
Thankfully, unlike other members here, I don't see gapless as essential.... It'd be nice to have though.

Yeah, I'm skeptical also. And I could care less about gapless (and audiobooks) on the player. I want the lag fixed, as well as the artifacting when returning to the front of a track. And ReplayGain, definitely.

It's a lossless music player and half the "fixes" they are working on are to satisfy a bunch of people who are complaining about their low-res audiobooks.

Oh well, the Cayin N3 cometh soon...

Mar 17, 2017 at 2:47 AM Post #2,258 of 3,121
Yeah, I'm skeptical also. And I could care less about gapless (and audiobooks) on the player. I want the lag fixed, as well as the artifacting when returning to the front of a track. And ReplayGain, definitely.

It's a lossless music player and half the "fixes" they are working on are to satisfy a bunch of people who are complaining about their low-res audiobooks.

Oh well, the Cayin N3 cometh soon...

You must realize that a majority of the users here see the x1 as a toss away rig for usage outside their main ones. I uae my x1 as a player mainly to output burn in tracks to run my new phones in, because hell no am I using my 380CU or 1Z for that.

If you sincerely want a player that has perfect sq and features, the x1,ad you have surmised, isn't the player for you. It's simply a cheap and disposable alternative for circumstances not worth risking your main rigs.

Mar 17, 2017 at 2:55 AM Post #2,259 of 3,121
You must realize that a majority of the users here see the x1 as a toss away rig for usage outside their main ones. I uae my x1 as a player mainly to output burn in tracks to run my new phones in, because hell no am I using my 380CU or 1Z for that.

If you sincerely want a player that has perfect sq and features, the x1,ad you have surmised, isn't the player for you. It's simply a cheap and disposable alternative for circumstances not worth risking your main rigs.

No. For many users it's a significant expenditure. Ain't solipsism grand...

Mar 17, 2017 at 3:47 AM Post #2,260 of 3,121

No. For many users it's a significant expenditure. Ain't solipsism grand...

I think the X1 is a good starting point for people wanting to try out hi-res dedicated DAP but don't want to commit too much in the beginning because they are not sure if its right for them and should they stick to their mobile phones. Also, their knowledge on DAP/DAC/AMP might be limited and X1 is a good point to start into the world of hi-res music.

I started with a 1st gen X1 almost 3 years ago with an A3/ATH-IM02 and 6 months later, i wanted to upgrade. But there were too many models and not enough budget.

When X5iii was unveiled, I had my eyes set on it, but the country I work in have limited access to such tech, hence gotten a DX80 demo set a few weeks back, something no frills, just pure music playing, just like the X1, but higher specs all round. I don't really care about blue tooth/WiFi and I am a wired guy, so I am more than happy with it.

Hence, the X1 is more than a disposable DAP, maybe the M3 is one, but to each its own. For me, the X1 opened up a whole new world to experience portable music. :)

Mar 17, 2017 at 3:59 AM Post #2,261 of 3,121

Who said that I was expecting the X1-II to be the perfect player with SQ and features? It's a cheap throwaway player for me too, but still ain't nice when you get your ears blown out because of large difference in audio levels. Yup, it's disposable, so when you drop it in a lake you don't care...

The point is that it's a music player, not an audiobook player. Gapless is nice when listening to a Pink Floyd album straight through, but when you're hiking through the woods on random, isn't as important as RG. 

As far as those audiobooks people, there's much easier ways for 128K audio - their phones. 

Either way, the important bit is that Fiio has been saying they're working on all of the above for the last month and nothing has been done. Even with the gapless, it used to be "in a few weeks" and now it's "next month" (again).

So yeah, the cheap Cayin N3 will probably be the replacement as long as it lives up to their advertising.

Mar 17, 2017 at 4:26 AM Post #2,262 of 3,121
I think people here are being overly snooty over this DAP.
This was the DAP I could afford. I don't have high end equipment, not because I don't want to or because I don't appreciate good quality gear, but because I have much higher priorities, like keeping my kids clothed, fed and with a roof over my head
The X1ii gives me amazing sound for the price. Far better than my Samsung phone or even my old 4GB Walkman. I listen to it with my ATH-IM70 IEMs and I treasure them both.
So no. It's not a disposable DAP to me.

Mar 17, 2017 at 9:08 AM Post #2,263 of 3,121
Well, I certainly did not wish to imply elitism when I decreed my little X1 II as “disposable.”  I love this DAP’s touch wheel and sound, but I was more reacting to all brickbats thrown at it due to being a work in progress as far as firmware updates.  I’ve read a few posts where people rail against this player as if it’s conspired to ruin their lives.  I’m glad many people are enjoying it.  I certainly agree that FiiO’s previous X1 and this serve as wonderful envoys for the uninitiated to move away from listening to music on iPods and phones.

Mar 17, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #2,264 of 3,121
  Well, I certainly did not wish to imply elitism when I decreed my little X1 II as “disposable.”  I love this DAP’s touch wheel and sound, but I was more reacting to all brickbats thrown at it due to being a work in progress as far as firmware updates.  I’ve read a few posts where people rail against this player as if it’s conspired to ruin their lives.  I’m glad many people are enjoying it.  I certainly agree that FiiO’s previous X1 and this serve as wonderful envoys for the uninitiated to move away from listening to music on iPods and phones.

It's fantastic compared to an iPod, I'm very glad I made the switch. My only 2 issues I have with it are that scrolling through the SD card's info when the X1II is plugged into via USB to my car's receiver is very slow. I dunno how to fix that though. The second is as people say, the UI is a bit sluggish and doesn't really work as smoothly as expected. For me, I wish I bit the bullet and got the X3II because of this, had I known it was such an issue. But many said it was fine, so I went with it. If FiiO can at least improve on the UI, then I'd be happy with my purchase. It's not a bad player by any means, anything beats Apple. I think it's a matter that it wasn't hitting expectations in certain ways (And to some, gapless is very important)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back