Fiio X1+ E11 or Fiio X3
Sep 14, 2014 at 1:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

mdh994

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys just wondering what would be better
I only want to spend like 250 bucks max on a music player
so I was thinking getting the Fiio X1 with the E11 Amp
or getting the Fiio x3 and just use my E6 Amp that I already own.
I am heading more toward the X3 because of optical outs and better looking UI
but i like the look of the X1 more.

Sep 14, 2014 at 6:57 AM Post #2 of 20
Definitely go for the fiio x3 without the e6. 

The x3 uses the same amp as the e17 which is way better than the e6.

I don't know about the x1, it hasn't even come out yet but I'm pretty sure the amp section will be equivalent if not better than the e11. 

In a nut shell, almost all current dap will have a better amp section than the e6. 

Hope this helps.

Sep 14, 2014 at 7:09 AM Post #3 of 20
Definitely go for the fiio x3 without the e6. 

I don't know about the x1, it hasn't even come out yet but I'm pretty sure the amp section will be equivalent if not better than the e11. 

In a nut shell, almost all current dap will have a better amp section than the e6. 

Hope this helps.

Cheers this helps alot, I suppose all those amps and dacs are for equiptment like phones and stuff. Hopefully my shure se215 and m50xs will sound awesome in the x3. :)

Sep 14, 2014 at 7:34 AM Post #4 of 20

I think you mean E6? In terms of output power alone, the X1 seems to be on par (or a little bit weaker) than the E6. FiiO's specification page for the E6 states that its output power is 100 mW @ 32 ohms while the X1 info page here at head-fi (http://www.head-fi.org/t/691332/fiio-x1-the-first-high-res-dap-for-the-young) it mentions that the output of the X1 is only 70 mW @ 32 ohms. The new E11K outputs 270 mW @ 32 ohms.

@mdh994: The X3 has a USB dac feature, which the X1 doesn't, and won't be as bulky as an X1/E11 stack. On paper the X1/E11 doesn't seem like it has any real advantages over the X3, but since you said "250 bucks max", why not step it up and get an E12 instead of the E11? That way you'd only pay a little over the X3's price and still be able to drive headphones the X3 can't :p

Sep 14, 2014 at 7:48 AM Post #5 of 20
@mdh994: The X3 has a USB dac feature, which the X1 doesn't, and won't be as bulky as an X1/E11 stack. On paper the X1/E11 doesn't seem like it has any real advantages over the X3, but since you said "250 bucks max", why not step it up and get an E12 instead of the E11? That way you'd only pay a little over the X3's price and still be able to drive headphones the X3 can't :p

That makes alot of sense, what would you think of getting the x1 with the e17 which is an amp dac combo, would that be better then the x3 by itself?

Sep 14, 2014 at 8:08 AM Post #6 of 20
That makes alot of sense, what would you think of getting the x1 with the e17 which is an amp dac combo, would that be better then the x3 by itself?

Depends on how you'd be using the E17. The X3 pretty much has the same hardware as the E17 BUT the E17 is more versatile as it has coaxial and optical inputs (so you can hook up a game console to it and use the E17's dac instead of the console's), but if you'll only be using the E17 as an amp and USB dac, then you'd be better off getting the X3 and using the rest of the money on a micro sd card for it. Do keep in mind that the X1 won't have any internal memory so you'll really need to spend some extra money for the external memory too

From most expensive to least expensive:
X1 + E17 + sd card (with this setup you get the coaxial and optical inputs, though you can't bypass the X1s dac chip)
X1 + E12 + sd card (you get a more powerful amp from this, 880 mW @ 32 ohms vs the E11K's 270 mW @ 32 ohms)
X3 + sd card (with X3 you at least get most features the E17 has, and it'll have a better dac chip than the X1)
X1 + E11K + sd card (E11K should be at least on par or better than the X3s amp)

Sep 14, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #7 of 20
Depends on how you'd be using the E17. The X3 pretty much has the same hardware as the E17 BUT the E17 is more versatile as it has coaxial and optical inputs (so you can hook up a game console to it and use the E17's dac instead of the console's), but if you'll only be using the E17 as an amp and USB dac, then you'd be better off getting the X3 and using the rest of the money on a micro sd card for it. Do keep in mind that the X1 won't have any internal memory so you'll really need to spend some extra money for the external memory too

From most expensive to least expensive:
X1 + E17 + sd card (with this setup you get the coaxial and optical inputs, though you can't bypass the X1s dac chip)
X1 + E12 + sd card (you get a more powerful amp from this, 880 mW @ 32 ohms vs the E11K's 270 mW @ 32 ohms)
X3 + sd card (with X3 you at least get most features the E17 has, and it'll have a better dac chip than the X1)
X1 + E11K + sd card (E11K should be at least on par or better than the X3s amp)

Well that clears everything up I reckon I will go for the x3 and spend the rest on a micro sd card, all my gaming consoles have there own 5.1 av reciever and i dont listen to music on them so it wont benifit me much.
Thanks for all your help, greatly appreciated. :)

Sep 14, 2014 at 9:17 AM Post #8 of 20
BelialSeraph
Would ibasso dx50 be better then a fiio
x3? There are a couple cheap ones going in the buy and sell section.

Sep 14, 2014 at 9:27 AM Post #9 of 20

The fiio e11 alone will sound better.

X3 has a superior dac and uses the e17 for the amp. 

And as mentioned, the x3 can be used as dac/amp with a computer. 

Sep 14, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #11 of 20
@BelialSeraph
Would ibasso dx50 be better then a fiio
x3? There are a couple cheap ones going in the buy and sell section.

I'm really interested in both DAPs but I think you'd be best asking those with hands on experience for that question cause I've never tried the DX50. The two have the same dac chip if i remember correctly (not sure about the amp) and I think it mainly comes down to the useability of the UI and reliability of the devices. That being said, the DX50 does have replaceable batteries (takes the same batteries found on the SIII), which is why I'm interested in that player

Well that clears everything up I reckon I will go for the x3 and spend the rest on a micro sd card, all my gaming consoles have there own 5.1 av reciever and i dont listen to music on them so it wont benifit me much.
Thanks for all your help, greatly appreciated.
smily_headphones1.gif

You're welcome, I'm glad I could help \m/

Sep 14, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #12 of 20
I'm really interested in both DAPs but I think you'd be best asking those with hands on experience for that question cause I've never tried the DX50. The two have the same dac chip if i remember correctly (not sure about the amp) and I think it mainly comes down to the useability of the UI and reliability of the devices. That being said, the DX50 does have replaceable batteries (takes the same batteries found on the SIII), which is why I'm interested in that player

I read a couple of reviews and comparisons last night and apparrently the ui is buggy on the dx50 with the touch screen,(not sure how old that review was) and the dx50 has more of a lighter sound while the fiio has more of a warm sound and more bass. So i think i might still go with the fiio seeing as more bass and warmer sounds suit me more. :)

Sep 14, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #13 of 20
I read a couple of reviews and comparisons last night and apparrently the ui is buggy on the dx50 with the touch screen,(not sure how old that review was) and the dx50 has more of a lighter sound while the fiio has more of a warm sound and more bass. So i think i might still go with the fiio seeing as more bass and warmer sounds suit me more.
smily_headphones1.gif

All those review you read are based on early firmwares. All the latest fw for both ibasso and fiio has dramatically improved, not just stability but also in in sound and feature.

For example, the most resent firmware for fiio x3 now supports apple lossless files and dac functionality. 

Sep 14, 2014 at 8:59 PM Post #14 of 20
  All those review you read are based on early firmwares. All the latest fw for both ibasso and fiio has dramatically improved, not just stability but also in in sound and feature.

For example, the most resent firmware for fiio x3 now supports apple lossless files and dac functionality. 

I thought that would be the case, So do they still have the same sound signatures, does the Fiio still have the warmer sound and more bass.
also does the dx50 have a smoother scroll because having a touch screen I wouldn't want it too be really laggy and slow, I would
get too annoyed with it :p
This was the comparison i was looking at.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/681478/comparison-fiio-x3-vs-ibasso-dx50

Sep 14, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #15 of 20
  I thought that would be the case, So do they still have the same sound signatures, does the Fiio still have the warmer sound and more bass.
also does the dx50 have a smoother scroll because having a touch screen I wouldn't want it too be really laggy and slow, I would
get too annoyed with it :p
This was the comparison i was looking at.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/681478/comparison-fiio-x3-vs-ibasso-dx50

I can't comment on the dx50 as I've never listening to one.  

With the little time I had with the x3, I found the sound to be a little too laid back and lacked the extra power to drive my headphones. 

Having said that, you can always add a better amp like an e12 further down the track. 

If you don't intend to use the dac funtion, why not just get the x1 and e12.   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back