Fiio Walkbox Questions
Sep 14, 2009 at 4:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

bba1973

500+ Head-Fier
Got a Fiio Walkbox for my birthday, and I've got a few questions. Not sure if this is the right section, but I guess it'll do for now. Anyway, my biggest concern is what kind of rechargeable batteries I should use. Obviously they should be AAA, but what kind should I get? Would some Duracells or Energizers be good, or should I search out something else on ebay? I'd like to keep the cost under $20, but that might not be so realistic for a charger and 4 AAA batteries. Keep in mind that I'd need a charger too. It would be nice to have a charger for AA and AAA in case I decide to use a Discman more often. Also, would it be safe to use it with my Zune USB charger? I think it would, but I'm not 100% sure. I got it to work with a USB cable I had lying around, but I just want to make sure it's okay before I go off and fry it accidentally.

As for the speaker itself, it's a decent deal for what it is and for what I use it for. Not so great for music (sounds much better from 10 or 15 feet away, IMO), but it's really neat for listening to The Conet Project. Nothing impressive, but a good deal nonetheless. Makes me want to get a Clip+ even more so I can pair it with something smaller and lighter than my iPod or Zune.

Thanks for reading.

Sep 14, 2009 at 8:31 AM Post #2 of 9
Sorry you right that you are posting in the wrong place.
To say hornest, not much impressions about batteries in here. Such isolate well?

I Hope you will get moved because that would give you lot more helpful replies.
Anyway to give you you my best answer, I know FP selling some geniue sanyo and sony batteries for good value. Those shouldn't perform bad either but I personally would spend a lot more on a good charger for all my stuff.

Sep 14, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #3 of 9
Thanks for the reply. I've only been able to find one other mention of the Walkbox, and it was in this section, so that's why I posted it here.

I'll probably just get some rechargeable Energizers or Duracells and a charger from a store nearby.

Sep 15, 2009 at 7:50 PM Post #4 of 9
My Walkbox is coming soon, I seriously don't think it really matters what batteries you use, as long as they're something like Duracell or Energizer...

Sep 15, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusEx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Walkbox is coming soon, I seriously don't think it really matters what batteries you use, as long as they're something like Duracell or Energizer...

I meant whether I should get Lithium Ion batteries, Ni-Mh, Ni-Cd, etc. It probably doesn't matter a whole lot, but I thought I'd ask in case one kind was way better than another. And it's not like it's going into a really high end piece of gear either.

Hope you enjoy your Walkbox as much as I do. Certainly not the best speaker out there, but it's a good deal for what it is.

Sep 15, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #6 of 9
You should use Sanyo Eneloop or Rayovac Hybrid. Those are two of the best and the hybrids hold charge. Normal NiMH self-discharge, some quite quickly, and you have to charge them even though you were not using the FiiO.

A few bucks for a better charger is worth it such as a Maha with independent charging slots and smart fast or slow charging and trickle charge.

If you use regular NiMH and a timer charger you get ~90% charge(at best) instead of ~95% which translates to shorter run time. Self discharge shortens run time as they drain even when the device is off. Independent charging keeps each battery full not some more than others. If you get the wrong stuff you won't save as much money and get less battery life/# of charge cycles.

Something like this...- Maha MH-C204FA-DC AA - AAA ChargerIncludes 110V AC Power A..
Scan ebay for a cheaper price, of course.

Sep 15, 2009 at 10:48 PM Post #7 of 9
Thanks for the info and link jant71. It's more than what I wanted to spend, but you get what you pay for. But it's not like I have to use them with the Walkbox only. There's some US sellers with Eneloop packs for about $40 on ebay. Seems like a pretty good deal compared to what I've seen in stores the last time I looked.

Sep 15, 2009 at 11:01 PM Post #8 of 9
Sep 15, 2009 at 11:46 PM Post #9 of 9
Thanks for that link too jant, but I just bought a set of RE0's. I have enough money to buy some good batteries and a charger, but I need some spare funds in case my truck breaks down, or some other unexpected expense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back