[FiiO UTWS5] True Wireless Bluetooth Earhooks as Usual,Coupled with Independent AK4332 DAC
Feb 16, 2022 at 10:57 AM Post #871 of 2,554
What does that actually mean, have you verified it is 16bit or 24bit in your Windows Audio settings?

Screenshot 2022-02-16 155425.png

It is not 24bit so playing Hi-Res files using AptX-HD or AptX Adaptive is not going to be ideal, I could also prove is via Amazon Music HD but currently not subbed so non HD music for me.

It would show it as 16bit non HD, same as Windows.

Avantree had to make a revision to theirs so it would be 24/48 in Windows but they messed up again and the channels were reversed and it had a phantom centre channel also but at least AptX-HD could be fully utilised.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2022 at 11:01 AM Post #872 of 2,554
So how are u to hook these up to a m11 ltd and play through the UTWS5?

Feb 16, 2022 at 11:04 AM Post #873 of 2,554
What does that actually mean, have you verified it is 16bit or 24bit in your Windows Audio settings?

Screenshot 2022-02-16 155425.png

It is not 24bit so playing Hi-Res files using AptX-HD or AptX Adaptive is not going to be ideal, I could also prove is via Amazon Music HD but currently not subbed so non HD music for me.

It would show it as 16bit non HD, same as Windows.

Avantree had to make a revision to theirs so it would be 24/48 in Windows but they messed up again and the channels were reversed and it had a phantom centre channel also but at least AptX-HD could be fully utilised.
exact same for me: same device name, same sample rate and bit depth. will not let me change.

Feb 16, 2022 at 11:07 AM Post #874 of 2,554
Bummer another cheap POS then.

I will use my FiiO neckband later to see if it actually does have AptX-LL and AptX-HD (would need 2 chipsets) or are they going by QUALCOMM's slightly misleading claim of backwards compatibility.

If not it will use AptX unless I then disable that then it will need to use SBC.

I can disable codecs at a hardware level in the FiiO App on my phone then connect to this USB dongle and see what happens.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2022 at 11:14 AM Post #875 of 2,554
Yes a shame for sure i would love to play hd or ldac with these, but cant. I have to use my wireless ldac Liberty until they come out with something else.

Feb 16, 2022 at 9:43 PM Post #876 of 2,554
Why doesn't UTWS5 support LDAC?
Currently, the QCC5141 chip does not support LDAC Bluetooth code. But in the future there may have the opportunity to add the support through software upgrades. And whether it could be added would depend on Qualcomm and SONY instead of us. In addition, LDAC also needs to be on the high bit rate to reflect the benefits of sound quality. But the experience of the high bit rate transmission in TWS products is not good enough.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Feb 16, 2022 at 9:52 PM Post #877 of 2,554
Could you make adaptors to fit i4's? @FiiO Or, a UTWS6 with Snapdragon Sound?

Feb 17, 2022 at 2:49 PM Post #878 of 2,554
Bought UTWS 5 few days ago. I use it in pair with Shure Aonic 4. Bluetooth connection is really stable. Sound quality is also good. You can definitely tell the difference between mp3 and flac. I'm using slow roll-off filter in Fiio Control - it sounds the most natural way. By default it is sharp roll-off filter, which is too energetic.
Comparing with cable: fiio builds scene narrower. And it has less space and air. High frequencies is a bit cut. I guess that's because of lack AptX Adaptive bitrate (420 kbps only). UTWS5 is definitely needs LDAC or LHDC support to be audiophile device. Firmware is last stable - 1.3.

I wait for:
1. LHDC support
2. Equalizer

Feb 17, 2022 at 3:05 PM Post #879 of 2,554
Bought UTWS 5 few days ago. I use it in pair with Shure Aonic 4. Bluetooth connection is really stable. Sound quality is also good. You can definitely tell the difference between mp3 and flac. I'm using slow roll-off filter in Fiio Control - it sounds the most natural way. By default it is sharp roll-off filter, which is too energetic.
Comparing with cable: fiio builds scene narrower. And it has less space and air. High frequencies is a bit cut. I guess that's because of lack AptX Adaptive bitrate (420 kbps only). UTWS5 is definitely needs LDAC or LHDC support to be audiophile device. Firmware is last stable - 1.3.

I wait for:
1. LHDC support
2. Equalizer
Fiio has said EQ will be in the next update

Feb 17, 2022 at 5:30 PM Post #880 of 2,554
Do you have any recommendations for IEMs that will match well with UTWS5?

Currently, I am using UTWS5 MMCX with 2-pin adapter (I need to try angled adapters) with KZ ZSN ProX. It is quite nice, dynamic, and slightly aggressive. Definitely, something I like.

I've tested also:
- Andromeda: I love these IEMs however it is a total miss with UTWS5, slow, bassy, muddy. I don't know why but UTWS5 can't drive Andro properly.
- Fiio FD5: fine smooth rich sound but not very exciting - not for me.
- Fiio FH5: fine but nothing special. I would say very average experience.
- Kinera Norn: at the moment best option. V tuning with pronounced bass and fast sparkling treble. It resembles me properly driven Andro (for example with Lotoo Paw S1), with fewer details.

I am thinking also about custom IEMs, maybe something from Custom Arts, but I never tried these.
Do you have any recommendations for a price range between 500-800$?

Feb 17, 2022 at 10:41 PM Post #882 of 2,554
Do you have any recommendations for IEMs that will match well with UTWS5?

Currently, I am using UTWS5 MMCX with 2-pin adapter (I need to try angled adapters) with KZ ZSN ProX. It is quite nice, dynamic, and slightly aggressive. Definitely, something I like.

I've tested also:
- Andromeda: I love these IEMs however it is a total miss with UTWS5, slow, bassy, muddy. I don't know why but UTWS5 can't drive Andro properly.
- Fiio FD5: fine smooth rich sound but not very exciting - not for me.
- Fiio FH5: fine but nothing special. I would say very average experience.
- Kinera Norn: at the moment best option. V tuning with pronounced bass and fast sparkling treble. It resembles me properly driven Andro (for example with Lotoo Paw S1), with fewer details.

I am thinking also about custom IEMs, maybe something from Custom Arts, but I never tried these.
Do you have any recommendations for a price range between 500-800$?
If you like the Andromeda sound, you may try Shure Aonic 4. It is easier to drive and the sound pairing with utws5 is great.

Feb 18, 2022 at 12:00 AM Post #883 of 2,554
I Know I should look in the 59 pages of the thread but I rather just ask. So... Connect it to my phone, get 8 seconds of audio and then cut off... Is this normal? Cause I feel ripped off right now. Any advice ?

Edit: got it working with AAC. Any one else facing aptx problems like this?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back