[FiiO UTWS5] True Wireless Bluetooth Earhooks as Usual,Coupled with Independent AK4332 DAC
Feb 12, 2022 at 10:37 AM Post #841 of 2,559
Tried them in games with voice chat (Windows). Does anyone know why when I'm transmitting my voice, whole system or game sound turning OFF and then ON after I stop talking? The same issue with BTR5 connected via BT.

Feb 12, 2022 at 10:46 AM Post #842 of 2,559
Tried them in games with voice chat (Windows). Does anyone know why when I'm transmitting my voice, whole system or game sound turning OFF and then ON after I stop talking? The same issue with BTR5 connected via BT.
I think it's a trick to preserve bandwidth. If the headset is running in A2DP mode this shouldn't happen. But, I wonder if Windows is doing some trickery with their AptX implementation to split audio streams.

Feb 12, 2022 at 1:13 PM Post #843 of 2,559
Well I can say that it's total nightmare to use any BT device with Windows. I tried BTR3 and 5, now UTWS5 and it's always issues when you use microphone.
Found this article which explains a lot https://www.howtogeek.com/354321/why-bluetooth-headsets-are-terrible-on-windows-pcs/
Means I still can't use mic from BT and forced to use regular mic with cable. There is only 1 thing left to try - get BT 5.2 usb adapter (mine in laptop 4.1)

Feb 13, 2022 at 12:50 PM Post #845 of 2,559
@FiiO The current fw on my UTWS5 will seemingly randomly reconnect to my phone while it's in the case, will a new firmware fix it or do I need to return it? The case is fully closed and charged. My UTWS3 never had this problem either

Feb 13, 2022 at 8:12 PM Post #846 of 2,559
@FiiO The current fw on my UTWS5 will seemingly randomly reconnect to my phone while it's in the case, will a new firmware fix it or do I need to return it? The case is fully closed and charged. My UTWS3 never had this problem either
I had this issue on both the stock firmware and the v1.31 beta and ultimately returned them. There's a rumor that some retailers stopped carrying the UTWS5 because of the high rate of returns due to this bug.

Feb 14, 2022 at 1:16 PM Post #848 of 2,559
Dear friend,

The UTWS5 does not support APTX HD. So it could connect to the M11Plus LTD via APTX instead.

Best regards
Are you sure? Qualcomm themselves claim AptX Adaptive to be backwards compatible with both AptX and AptX HD.
source: https://www.aptx.com/aptx-adaptive

Also, according to the Wiki on AptX tech, the compression rates should be different such that the uncompressed bitrates of AptX Adaptive = AptX HD; though I cannot confirm nor falsify that

Feb 14, 2022 at 1:22 PM Post #849 of 2,559
It is normal for the lights to go off after a few seconds. Only when the case is charging they stay on, all the time. My UTWS5 lasts around 5 hours, when listening to Amazon Music HD, aptX Adaptive. The only issue I am facing is that the battery level meters do not show the actual charge level. Like, I am leaving them inside the fully charged case overnight, and in the morning it will show like 96% - 98% charging level. Sometimes, if I will take them out and put them right back in, the level raises to 100%.
This is correct for all modern devices; overcharging hurts the chemistry of the battery pretty bad 'battery wear'. That is why typically charging stops at 100%, only activated again when the level reaches < 95% typically.

Also overnight charging is no longer necessary with fast charging devices; you basically still try to overcharge. Happy wishes to you and your extended life cycle of your device(s)!

Feb 14, 2022 at 1:46 PM Post #850 of 2,559
Are you sure? Qualcomm themselves claim AptX Adaptive to be backwards compatible with both AptX and AptX HD.

Also, according to the Wiki on AptX tech, the compression rates should be different such that the uncompressed bitrates of AptX Adaptive = AptX HD; though I cannot confirm nor falsify that
I think what they're saying is that a source device with AptX HD can still work with an AptX Adaptive headset. Not that the bitrate will be equivalent with the HD codec.

I've tested this myself. Using the UTWS5 with a phone that only supports AptX and AptX HD results in AptX quality as a fallback. Not AptX HD quality. I need to use an AptX HD TWS or my AptX Adaptive USB dongle to get HD quality.

Feb 14, 2022 at 1:46 PM Post #851 of 2,559

100% factual it will fall back to standard AptX, no matter if the other device has AptX-HD support it will not be AptX-HD.

Not sure why QUALOCOMM made that claim or just poorly worded but I found out the hard and it took feedback from Moto/Lenovo staff to prove to me I would not get AptX-HD on my phone with a set of AptX Adaptive earbuds and it has been posted on this forum dozens of times by others also.

They told me Headphones like the B&W P14's I was using previously have 2 chips (it is a Neckband so plenty of space inside) so they were one of the first to have AptX Adaptive support but also AptX-HD and that is why I thought I had support on my phone.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2022 at 2:40 PM Post #852 of 2,559
This is correct for all modern devices; overcharging hurts the chemistry of the battery pretty bad 'battery wear'. That is why typically charging stops at 100%, only activated again when the level reaches < 95% typically.

Also overnight charging is no longer necessary with fast charging devices; you basically still try to overcharge. Happy wishes to you and your extended life cycle of your device(s)!
What I meant was that I am leaving the ear-hooks inside the fully charged case, all night long. Not that I am charging the case all night long. I unplug the case as soon as the main light stops pulsing. Furthermore, what you say about overcharging does not explain the faulty behavior of the charging level indicators.

Best of luck with your eyesight and reading comprehension.

Feb 14, 2022 at 2:55 PM Post #853 of 2,559

It's backward compatible in the sense that if your sending device supports AptX adaptive and your receiving device support AptX HD, then you can receive AptX HD. It's not backwards compatible in the other direction, you can't send AptX HD to an AptX adaptive device. So no AptX HD on the UTWS5

Feb 14, 2022 at 9:00 PM Post #854 of 2,559
0on2m9A.png

I just received my UTWS5 few days ago, test running it I find that the left unit drains the battery way faster than the right unit.
It brings the total time to about 4 hours of usage before the left unit is totally drained both started from 100%.
The volume used is on the lower side.
I've tested this on the PC and the phone.

Do I have a faulty pair?

Feb 15, 2022 at 1:29 AM Post #855 of 2,559
0on2m9A.png

I just received my UTWS5 few days ago, test running it I find that the left unit drains the battery way faster than the right unit.
It brings the total time to about 4 hours of usage before the left unit is totally drained both started from 100%.
The volume used is on the lower side.
I've tested this on the PC and the phone.

Do I have a faulty pair?
The first few tests were similar to mine, but the right drained faster. After a few days of "continuous" usage and charging circles, they drained near similar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back