[FiiO UTWS5] True Wireless Bluetooth Earhooks as Usual,Coupled with Independent AK4332 DAC
Jan 24, 2022 at 12:25 PM Post #766 of 2,554
@FiiO Willson
Any chance that UTWS5 will get LDAC in the feature? Or this is not possible?
Currently using my lovely BTR5, but want to go away from the wire at all. And LDAC support is the show-stopper for me, i'll have to stay with btr5 until somebody will release tws adapters with ldac (going to use with FH7)
only thing stopping me from buying them. I will use the M11 ltd only and for that would like the ldac

Jan 25, 2022 at 2:27 AM Post #768 of 2,554
only thing stopping me from buying them. I will use the M11 ltd only and for that would like the ldac
For the brief period I had them, they sounded amazing even with AAC on my iPhone (which is not the preferred setup). I think FiiO made the right choice using APTX Adaptive, as this is the only codec supporting dynamic bitrates (not static presets like LDAC) making it more suitable for environments with a lot of interference (e.g. on the train) without sacrificing to much resolution. LDAC is very HQ in its higher presets but the range/reliability kind of sucks.

Jan 25, 2022 at 2:41 AM Post #769 of 2,554
For the brief period I had them, they sounded amazing even with AAC on my iPhone (which is not the preferred setup). I think FiiO made the right choice using APTX Adaptive, as this is the only codec supporting dynamic bitrates (not static presets like LDAC) making it more suitable for environments with a lot of interference (e.g. on the train) without sacrificing to much resolution. LDAC is very HQ in its higher presets but the range/reliability kind of sucks.
The benefit of AptX adaptive is lower latency especially crucial when watching video or playing games. For listening to music only, LDAC will be the best, with AptX and AptX adaptive not having that much difference.

Jan 25, 2022 at 1:58 PM Post #770 of 2,554
The benefit of AptX adaptive is lower latency especially crucial when watching video or playing games. For listening to music only, LDAC will be the best, with AptX and AptX adaptive not having that much difference.
Sorry but that’s only partly true. APTX Adpatives main benefit is, that it can dynamically switch between what was known as APTX HD (higher Bitrate) and APTX LL (lower Bitrate, less lag). Basically it has presets like LDAC also has (LDAC has different static Bitrate presets), but unlike LDAC, APTX Adaptive automatically chooses the Bitrate preset on the fly. Also it is more efficient then other codecs on the market afaik, requiring lower bitrates in general.

That’s why APTX Adaptive is considered a replacement for both APTX HD and APTX LL.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2022 at 5:03 PM Post #771 of 2,554
Sorry but that’s only partly true. APTX Adpatives main benefit is, that it can dynamically switch between what was known as APTX HD (higher Bitrate) and APTX LL (lower Bitrate, less lag). Basically it has presets like LDAC also has (LDAC has different static Bitrate presets), but unlike LDAC, APTX Adaptive automatically chooses the Bitrate preset on the fly. Also it is more efficient then other codecs on the market afaik, requiring lower bitrates in general.

That’s why APTX Adaptive is considered a replacement for both APTX HD and APTX LL.
Yes but the different between aptx hd and adaptive is not that large. I bet it is extremely hard to notice any differences between the two. I am not saying there is no difference but the reduce in delay is quite noticeable for me.

Jan 26, 2022 at 2:10 AM Post #772 of 2,554
Hey guys, anyone else here observing this issue?

So, if you'll leave the earhooks inside a fully charged case for hours, like overnight, do they both appear as 100% charged, in the morning? Mine, very rarely appear as such. They usually appear as charged up to 97% - 98%, something like that. I've reported this here, twice, and all I was asked by @FiiO , was IF I have the battery saver ON, well I am not. Are you observing the same charging behavior? Hoping this will get resolved on the next firmware update.

This period, I am using my UTWS5 with my TRI I3, instead of their dedicated pair of 7Hz Timeless. The TRI I3 fit nicely inside the case and they sound decent. They sound OK, I do not feel I am missing a lot, compared to listening to them with my Qudelix 5K. Anyways, I am satisfied, I am just trying them a bit. The main IEM for my UTWS5 will be the 7Hz Timeless, which sounds fantastic, especially with the SpinFit 100+ tips.
Dear friend,

The electricity meter may have small error of detecting the battery level. If you check the battery via the mobile phone, could the value shows 100% instead? We did not reproduce this issue after connecting to the mobile phone. (With UTWS5 taken out from the charging box) We will report to the engineer to check whether we could improve about that still.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jan 26, 2022 at 2:11 AM Post #773 of 2,554
@FiiO @FiiO Willson Is there a possibility for Active Noise Cancelling in a future firmware update? Possibly by modifying the code for ambient mode to invert the incomming waveforms, or is the MCU inherently not fast enough to do those kind of calculations in real-time?
Dear friend,

We may not add ANC support for UTWS5 via firmware update, sorry.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jan 26, 2022 at 4:45 AM Post #774 of 2,554
Dear friend,

The electricity meter may have small error of detecting the battery level. If you check the battery via the mobile phone, could the value shows 100% instead? We did not reproduce this issue after connecting to the mobile phone. (With UTWS5 taken out from the charging box) We will report to the engineer to check whether we could improve about that still.

Best regards
Hello, thank you for checking this out, at last!

Of course I am always checking the battery level through the FiiO Control App, from where else could I possibly check it? From the lights?

This is happening almost every day to me, to my device. After leaving them inside a fully charged case for an entire night, in the morning one or both show as less than 100% charged. This morning, for example one was showing at 98% and the other earhook at 97%. Other numbers I've seen are: 100% and 93%, 95% and 97% and so on.

What I am doing is this:
- I open the case and start the FiiO Control App. Nine out of ten times, the charging level is wrong.
- Then I take them out of the case, closing the lid, close and restart the App. Same, erroneous, charging level.
- I put them back inside, close the lid, close the App, and repeat. It might then show 100% level, or I might need to take them out again, and put them back in, to show 100% on both. In and out of the case, a couple of times, to show them fully charged, that's it with my device.

I am sure they are fully charged. It is just that the charging level indicator does not function properly. At least on my device. Please, have a look and try to fix it,

Also, when will the new firmware become available?
And when will the UTWS5 itself become available on Amazon UK?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2022 at 11:02 AM Post #775 of 2,554
98% vs 100% visually is really that much of an issue?

Jan 26, 2022 at 11:31 AM Post #776 of 2,554
Lol some people are OCD you know. Took me quite awhile too to let my phone at let say 78% battery and not immediately top it off to 100%.

Jan 26, 2022 at 1:02 PM Post #777 of 2,554
Hi

For me, personally, no. I am just reporting this in some detail, so that they will fix it on the next firmware update, IF it is a general issue and not specific to my unit. I've mentioned this two other times in this thread, and all I got asked was, if I have the battery protection, on. I hope they will be able to reproduce and fix it. For me, it is not such a big deal, I know that my earhooks last around 5 hours of playing Amazon HD. It would be nice if it would be accurate, though.

Jan 26, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #778 of 2,554
Genuine questions for anyone using the Battery Saver option.

The UTWS5 seems to power on and reconnect to my phone even being in the case and charging

It seems to happen when the hooks are charged to 80% and finish charging

Jan 26, 2022 at 2:29 PM Post #779 of 2,554
Genuine questions for anyone using the Battery Saver option.

The UTWS5 seems to power on and reconnect to my phone even being in the case and charging

It seems to happen when the hooks are charged to 80% and finish charging

Common problem. My set would try to force connect to my phone even without battery saver enabled. Super frustrating. Lots of folks in this thread have reported similar behavior. It's unclear if all sets have this issue or if only a small sample are affected.

Jan 26, 2022 at 2:31 PM Post #780 of 2,554
Common problem. My set would try to force connect to my phone even without battery saver enabled. Super frustrating. Lots of folks in this thread have reported similar behavior. It's unclear if all sets have this issue or if only a small sample are affected.
I have two pairs and none of them do this, but I don't connect my UTWS5 to my phone. It is connected only to my PC most of the time and laptop when I am using it on the go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back