FiiO UTWS1 is available now-Giving your earphones a new voice!
Jan 3, 2020 at 10:16 AM Post #16 of 96
The fiio.com page mentions that TWS+ may not be supported on some phones. Can the requirements for support be elaborated? For reference, I have a OnePlus 7 Pro. Since it has a relatively recent Qualcomm chipset (855), will it support TWS+? Does the support depend on the chipset, or the OEM's Android build, or both?

I cannot find any extra information about this technology on Google, the Snapdragon Wikipedia page, OnePlus' forums, or even Qualcomm's site.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2020 at 12:04 PM Post #17 of 96
The fiio.com page mentions that TWS+ may not be supported on some phones. Can the requirements for support be elaborated? For reference, I have a OnePlus 7 Pro. Since it has a relatively recent Qualcomm chipset (855), will it support TWS+? Does the support depend on the chipset, or the OEM's Android build, or both?

I cannot find any extra information about this technology on Google, the Snapdragon Wikipedia page, OnePlus' forums, or even Qualcomm's site.

(Assuming that the true wireless earbuds do support TWS+)

The support on smartphone-side depends first on chipset (and top Snapdragon SoCs now all support TWS+, including your 855), and then from the phone manufacturer (they may disable TWS+, but I don't see any reason for that - so I would suppose that OP7 does support it).

However, it's curious to see this statement from FiiO's CEO dated November 26th:

"3. Does UTWS1 support TWS+?
I'm sorry that UTWS1 does not support TWS+. At present, TWS+ is rarely used on the QCC3020 platform, mainly because there are too many bugs. In order not to affect the experience, FiiO does not support TWS+."

Seems they have changed their mind :ksc75smile:

Anyway, this is a very interesting product.
I won't buy it because it has MicroUSB and in my opinion that is not acceptable in 2020 (especially given that almost the full FiiO lineup apart from this product has Type-C).

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2020 at 12:14 PM Post #18 of 96
I'm sorry that UTWS1 does not support TWS+. At present, TWS+ is rarely used on the QCC3020 platform, mainly because there are too many bugs. In order not to affect the experience, FiiO does not support TWS+."

Seems they have changed their mind :ksc75smile:

The main product page should probably be updated to reflect this then, as that's quite misleading. Unless "support" in this case means "support from helpdesk etc." rather than "support the technology on the device".

Anyway, this is a very interesting product.
I won't buy it because it has MicroUSB and in my opinion that is not acceptable in 2020 (especially given that almost the full FiiO lineup apart from this product has Type-C).

I agree somewhat, but I think better would be a case or something to insert them into, like most other true wireless earbuds. Though it would have to be designed in a way that lets your IEM hang freely, since you can attach anything to them.

Jan 3, 2020 at 1:44 PM Post #19 of 96
This is quite surprising, considering that BT20S support TWS+ (on the phone you appear to be connected to TRN R and TRN L at the same time) on a OnePlus 6T.
I agree somewhat, but I think better would be a case or something to insert them into, like most other true wireless earbuds. Though it would have to be designed in a way that lets your IEM hang freely, since you can attach anything to them.
This is the endgame. A reasonably sized case that holds the adapters plus CIEMs while charging them. 10 Hours battery life plus... I don't know, an extra couple of charges in the case. aptX-HD and LDAC support. A.K.A. Nirvana. :grin:

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #20 of 96
Wait guys by posting that I wasn't implying it was also the most up-to-date info :ksc75smile:

That comes from a statement made by the CEO on November 26th, if the official website and specs sheet now say that UTWS1 does support Qualcomm TrueWireless Stereo Plus, then I would believe that :)

Jan 3, 2020 at 4:40 PM Post #21 of 96
Wait guys by posting that I wasn't implying it was also the most up-to-date info :ksc75smile:

That comes from a statement made by the CEO on November 26th, if the official website and specs sheet now say that UTWS1 does support Qualcomm TrueWireless Stereo Plus, then I would believe that :)
Yeah, Fiio website links a Polish review that states that TWS+ is supported.

Jan 3, 2020 at 10:54 PM Post #22 of 96
I'm sceptical on this project, I'm having a hard time here believing this is an an actual improvement. Same chip same design... Looks like a duck talks like a duck....

Jan 6, 2020 at 11:09 PM Post #24 of 96
Does one need to power both units on, and then presumably they will pair with each other automatically? And I presume you have to power off both units or is there an auto-off when there’s no signal for a certain period of time? Thanks

Jan 7, 2020 at 5:06 AM Post #25 of 96
Does one need to power both units on, and then presumably they will pair with each other automatically? And I presume you have to power off both units or is there an auto-off when there’s no signal for a certain period of time? Thanks
Yes, you turn one module on, it pairs with your emitter, then turn the second one on and it connects to the first module automatically.

The manual doesn’t mention automatic power off, only that they will turn off when BT connection hasn’t been established within 5 minutes.

i received mine yesterday, left them on and went away for a while and I believe they were off when I came back but not sure. Maybe @FiiO can enlighten us?

PS: have only tested them for two minutes with my IMR R1 - game changer! Will update after a bit more time with them.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2020 at 2:38 AM Post #26 of 96
Dear user,

When the uTWS is not connecting to other device, it will turn off automatically within 5mins. But when connecting to other device, it will not power off until out of battery.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jan 11, 2020 at 1:19 AM Post #28 of 96
These kinds of gadget must come with detachable PIN mechanism which user can swap in between .075mm/ 0.78mm/ MMCX when in needs, Not buy one piece for every category....Till then BTR type device will do good in the market.

Jan 13, 2020 at 6:52 AM Post #29 of 96
For a first gen product they seem decent, but I do believe this will be the future for people like us at Head-fi. The major advantage besides that you can use any IEMS is that you don't have to take them off and put them in the case for a quick interaction. Just take out the earbud and let them hang via the cable.

But as of now the first gen product got too many flaws, like Micro USB, No charging case, device is a bit too big etc.

Maybe the 2nd or 3rd gen of this product will be "it", I want a few key improvements:

Charging case (hopefully wireless charging as well)
USB C
More Codecs
Wear Sensors
Better battery life
Smaller
Perhaps even Noise Canceling/ambient sound (if its technically possible)

For now they're just too inconvenient considering you gotta charge them via 2 USB ports every 8 hours, opposed to in a charging case that's usually good for 24 hours these days.

Shure managed to solve it somewhat, they got a charging case and are a bit more discreet/smaller. Even tho they cost a lot more, and the case is still a bit too big imo.

If Shure decides to sell it without the 215 IEMs for a lot lesser price I might buy them.

Shure.jpg

But out of all improvements the charging case is crucial, both for on/off without pressing any buttons and for convenient charging.

To be frank I just dont get why even the first gen product has to be this big? Considering "real" True Wireless are much smaller, and that's with all the audio related components and not just the bluetooth components like these. I'm not an Engineer maybe that's why I'm missing something.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2020 at 2:05 PM Post #30 of 96
For a first gen product they seem decent, but I do believe this will be the future for people like us at Head-fi. The major advantage besides that you can use any IEMS is that you don't have to take them off and put them in the case for a quick interaction. Just take out the earbud and let them hang via the cable.

But as of now the first gen product got too many flaws, like Micro USB, No charging case, device is a bit too big etc.

Maybe the 2nd or 3rd gen of this product will be "it", I want a few key improvements:

Charging case (hopefully wireless charging as well)
USB C
More Codecs
Wear Sensors
Better battery life
Smaller
Perhaps even Noise Canceling/ambient sound (if its technically possible)

For now they're just too inconvenient considering you gotta charge them via 2 USB ports every 8 hours, opposed to in a charging case that's usually good for 24 hours these days.

Shure managed to solve it somewhat, they got a charging case and are a bit more discreet/smaller. Even tho they cost a lot more, and the case is still a bit too big imo.

If Shure decides to sell it without the 215 IEMs for a lot lesser price I might buy them.

But out of all improvements the charging case is crucial, both for on/off without pressing any buttons and for convenient charging.

To be frank I just dont get why even the first gen product has to be this big? Considering "real" True Wireless are much smaller, and that's with all the audio related components and not just the bluetooth components like these. I'm not an Engineer maybe that's why I'm missing something.

What is that in the image you’ve got there, is that a Shure version of true wireless adaptor or is that the cable version??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back