Fiio tube amp?
Aug 12, 2011 at 6:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

DrHouse

100+ Head-Fier
Anyone have any idea if fiio hav eplans to release a tube amp? I would imagine they'd put it alongside the SS E9.

Also, would fiio ever venture into creating something in the high end price bracket, say around 400-500$

feiao, I'm hoping for your input :)

Aug 12, 2011 at 9:43 PM Post #2 of 6
I think theres a fiio Rep on this forum. Give him a email and ask him if there is. if not give them a email. You never know til you ask.

Aug 12, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #3 of 6
My own impression is, FiiO is a little against the idea of tube amp. Not that it won't work or sound good, just that tube amp (and hybrid tube) isn't what the company's core strength is. For the same reason, they don't want to go into high end market as well. They are more interested in products that can be sold to the general consumer.

Aug 13, 2011 at 4:14 AM Post #4 of 6
Er, $400-$500 is not high-end.

$400-$500 is about the minimum you have to spend on parts alone for a correctly built tube amp. Add another $200-$300 if you want output transformers.

All the inexpensive tube amps are compromised. Usually in the power supply, which is the most critical part. A boring and technical part most people don't care about. Most buyers would rather fiddle with an extra $400 of NOS tubes for tuberolling - sort of like putting a giant wing on a crappy old economy car.

Aug 13, 2011 at 7:22 AM Post #5 of 6
Er, $400-$500 is not high-end.

$400-$500 is about the minimum you have to spend on parts alone for a correctly built tube amp. Add another $200-$300 if you want output transformers.

All the inexpensive tube amps are compromised. Usually in the power supply, which is the most critical part. A boring and technical part most people don't care about. Most buyers would rather fiddle with an extra $400 of NOS tubes for tuberolling - sort of like putting a giant wing on a crappy old economy car.

Well obviously that price is normally mid range, but that price I would think as a big step up for fiio no?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back