FiiO releases the new amplifier A5 that strives for perfection
Nov 7, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #16 of 22

Its a really light and airy sounding amp that really takes my E17K to the next level. It is quite a bit better than the stock X7 amp module as well. 

In fact it is so transparent and detailed that it makes the E17K sound quite a bit better compared to its headphone out. Like night and day difference (darker vs lighter sound). It has enough power to drive my HD600 and sounds good with all my sources, and it strikes the right balance in sound, not boosting any particular frequency.

I am not a fan of the bass boost though, its a ?5dB boost and feels a bit too midbassy, but then again I am comparing it to the bass boost of the amp section of the ifi iDSD Micro, which does it more tastefully. 

Thats my only nitpick, its an amazing sounding portable amplifier otherwise. I rubber banded it to my E17K and that has been my go to stack the last few days. 

Nice review Red! 

Have you compared it to or how would you compare it to the Fiio E12 Mont Blanc? If so, was it on headphones or IEMs? I'd like to know how they sound compared to one another on headphones. 

Thanks. 

Nov 8, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #17 of 22

Nice review Red! 

Have you compared it to or how would you compare it to the Fiio E12 Mont Blanc? If so, was it on headphones or IEMs? I'd like to know how they sound compared to one another on headphones. 

Thanks. 

Thanks and I have never heard the E12 so I wouldn't be able to compare them unfortunately

Dec 10, 2016 at 4:39 AM Post #22 of 22
My thoughts on the A5 - http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-a5-portable-headphone-amplifier/reviews/17530

Users who are viewing this thread

Back