[FiiO Q5s Type C ‖ Q5s] Bluetooth DSD-capable Amplifier,AK4493x2,768k/32bit
Jun 7, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #3,076 of 3,226
I own a q5s with micro USB port
It is possible to connect it to a transport (such as fiio M5 and hiby r2) without charging the q5s.
Cause i have too much battery drain.

Thanks
You have to connect it to your Android phone/tablet through Bluetooth and then open the FiiO control app.
From the menu you can set charge to off.
If I am not mistaken the Q5s micro USB port is compatible with this action.

Jun 7, 2021 at 4:27 PM Post #3,078 of 3,226
I own a q5s with micro USB port
It is possible to connect it to a transport (such as fiio M5 and hiby r2) without charging the q5s.
Cause i have too much battery drain.

Thanks

You can turn charging off from the Fiio app (bluetooth). Also there are OTG cables such as Fiio ML06 and CL06, which are data only and do not allow charging.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2021 at 5:15 AM Post #3,079 of 3,226
"On top of that the q5s is super versatile. Connects to 2 devices via bluetooth. Can optical in to a playstation for gaming, has 4,4 balanced and 3,5 se."
What do you mean by this exactly...? I would really appreciate to know what you've connected up here with music / gaming as it'd be awesome to play some Call of Duty and listen to music in the same headphones where I hear the game... anyways I'd really appreciate it if you could get back to me on what you've got going on here exactly. I have a fIIO Q5s and a balanced and such.

Jun 8, 2021 at 5:16 AM Post #3,080 of 3,226
I think you misread the advantages I was summing up. It can connect to 2 devices at same time being phone and computer for example and you can easily switch between 2 sources. You can not connect to a playstation to play and listen to your own music at the same time :)

Jun 22, 2021 at 1:55 PM Post #3,081 of 3,226
Recently got q5s tc and so far I have couple of issues.

1. In bluetooth mode it only wants to connect with SBC codec. In fiio control app I left only LDAC checked as preferred codec but for some reason every time I pair it with V50 it says SBC. Even when I change codec in developer options in Android settings it may display LDAC there but it fiio control app its still SBC. If I close android settings and enter settings again it says SBC again like I never changed it. Also in Android settings no matter how many times I change audio quality to 990kbps it always comes down to Best effort (adaptive bitrate) 😠

2. In USB DAC mode when I start playing music (UAPP) I set the volume to normal to high level and after couple of minutes I got my ears blasted with I don't know how many dB. It's like every time I start listening with 70db and all of the sudden volume changes to 90db 😠 W. T. F. ?

I'm not sure which firmware version I'm using and I can't remember where to check.

Anyone knows cause and solution to this?

Jun 23, 2021 at 3:14 AM Post #3,082 of 3,226

1. In bluetooth mode it only wants to connect with SBC codec. In fiio control app I left only LDAC checked as preferred codec but for some reason every time I pair it with V50 it says SBC. Even when I change codec in developer options in Android settings it may display LDAC there but it fiio control app its still SBC. If I close android settings and enter settings again it says SBC again like I never changed it. Also in Android settings no matter how many times I change audio quality to 990kbps it always comes down to Best effort (adaptive bitrate) 😠

2. In USB DAC mode when I start playing music (UAPP) I set the volume to normal to high level and after couple of minutes I got my ears blasted with I don't know how many dB. It's like every time I start listening with 70db and all of the sudden volume changes to 90db 😠 W. T. F. ?

I'm not sure which firmware version I'm using and I can't remember where to check.

Dear friend,

Do you have another mobile phone to check? If your mobile phone supports LDAC, it will connect to the Q5s via LDAC automatically:

1624432293257.png

And for the volume problem, you could check whether it is because the second music file is louder than the previous one?

You could also try to reset the Q5s by poking the reset pole then reconnect again for check.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jul 5, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #3,083 of 3,226

Dear friend,

Do you have another mobile phone to check? If your mobile phone supports LDAC, it will connect to the Q5s via LDAC automatically:

1624432293257.png

And for the volume problem, you could check whether it is because the second music file is louder than the previous one?

You could also try to reset the Q5s by poking the reset pole then reconnect again for check.

Best regards

After some more testing, it seems that
1. BT connection issue is still there on another phone as well an it cannot be changed.
2. But the volume issue was a UAPP thing, after re-installation it was fine again.

So after weighing pros and cons of this device and considering my usage scenarios I figured DAP is buch better choice for me. My Q5s tc has found a new home, and I've moved on to a M11 Plus

Jul 19, 2021 at 9:21 AM Post #3,084 of 3,226
my question is addressed directly to FiiO: the Q5s TC is now practically impossible to find in every part of the planet, is there any hope that the Q5s TC will be back available as soon as the production of AKM chips will resume at full capacity? or can we consider the Q5s TC dead and gone forever?

Jul 20, 2021 at 3:46 PM Post #3,085 of 3,226
had all these dacs in succession:

fiio e17k alpen (super)
chord mojo (great but clunky)
ifi black label (a joke, harsh, bad)

the FIIO E17K was musical magic the best out of all these.... also for external speakers big difference....

How much of an improvement is the Q5S over the old E17K???

Ideally want something both for Speakers and Headphones (Andro and Senn HD25 so not difficult to drive at all)
Q5S looks excellent

SHOULD I BUY IT??

Jul 20, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #3,087 of 3,226
Jul 20, 2021 at 5:05 PM Post #3,088 of 3,226
I prefer the Q5S (TC) , it is more musical , fuller , greater weight and bass response etc.
But the BTR 5 is still an excellent performer for the size and the intended use.
And what about Q5S TC vs Q3? Bluetooth aside, in terms of soubd how much is it worth waiting for the Q5s TC to be back in stock and getting the Q3 instead?

I owned the Q3 for a short time and liked it but returned it with the hope of getting the Q5s TC but it's nowhere to be found.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2021 at 5:50 PM Post #3,090 of 3,226
funny enough BTR5 looks ideal how does it compare to Q5S?
seen several sources saying it's similar or even better!! like https://www.modioaudio.co.uk/blog/fiio-btr5-its-spunky
Sound quality is so minor that you have to listen very carefully to make up difference, especially with easy to drive iems.

So in my case btr5 was much better, it's cheaper, smaller, and even has a pitch back background, while q5s tc had a noticeable hiss with my S8F. So I sold the Q5s tc and got the M11+ which kills both devices in terms of SQ.
BTR5 though is still fantastic piece of kit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back