[FiiO Q5s Type C ‖ Q5s] Bluetooth DSD-capable Amplifier,AK4493x2,768k/32bit
Aug 15, 2019 at 5:48 AM Post #1,366 of 3,226
I still don't understand why people don't use PowerAmp here. I find it every bit as good as Neutron (although a bit simpler with its settings) and it also has high red output.

In other news, the courier got delayed yesterday and today is a national holiday, so my Q5s is not getting here before Friday. Hopefully this doesn't go on until next week, I will be traveling for a week and I want the Q5s with me.

Aug 15, 2019 at 6:52 AM Post #1,367 of 3,226
I still don't understand why people don't use PowerAmp here. I find it every bit as good as Neutron (although a bit simpler with its settings) and it also has high red output.

I purchased Poweramp a long time ago and used it extensively in its previous version when I used just my phone. Then I waited for the "next gen" version 3 like... forever. It kept being delayed. Then I got the Q5, then UAPP developed a new version, I purchased it and never looked back. IMO it is the best software for use with external DACs if you want pure sound. Poweramp is best used with phones if you want to tweak the sound, because of it's extensive and very good EQ, DSP and other sound processing components. It's finally in its new version but... too late for me, I already have all I want in UAPP.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2019 at 7:00 AM Post #1,368 of 3,226
I used paid Poweramp for years before. Once I got first portable dac-amp I bought UAPP for it. PowerAmp did not have usb output, this feature is only last several months as I know. It was never designed as hifi player in the beginning.
I tried also HiBy, Onkyo, Fiio, and lot of others. For me UAPP is best because it knows all important audio formats including SACD iso files and it has also possibility of streaming different services (Qobuz, Google, Shoutcast,and mainly Tidal Hifi and has MQA decoder for it (paid addon).

Aug 15, 2019 at 7:02 AM Post #1,369 of 3,226
For me i did not adjust any eq in poweramp. Only for the preamp portion. All leave it as default.

Screenshot_20190815-190056_Poweramp.jpg

Aug 15, 2019 at 8:49 AM Post #1,371 of 3,226
So between the Q5 with stock AM3A module and Q5s with stock AM3E module, do you (or others) find a difference in sound signature?
I'm curious about this because until now comparisons were mostly made between the AM3E and AM3D, but what about the old Q5 and the new one with their stock amps?
Yes, the original Q5 with stock module to my ears is still warmer sounding, but not by as much of a degree. Saying that, I need to do more comparison, but certainly that is my current impression.

Aug 15, 2019 at 6:53 PM Post #1,373 of 3,226
Hi,

Another new Q5S owner here. Only had few hours with it. So pleased so far.
Using from balanced > BGVP 2.5mm 600 Wire 6N OCC Pure Silver > TinHifi P1. On low gain with no bass boost > BT Ldac > galaxy s9 > poweramp pro high res mode.

Not sure if it was mentioned anywhere. A major plus for me is the lack of any audio video sync issues in YT and Netflix.

Am listening now..Fiio iz not messing around boy I'll tell u.

With P1 on low gain at ~65% volume the P1 are blasting!

Aug 15, 2019 at 8:41 PM Post #1,374 of 3,226
Been using Q5S for a couple weeks now.

Very capable. Installs automatically once plugged in (lemme tell you, as a FiiO dude since 2011...early USB driver install stuff was painful), and works well with IEMs. Has no issues with anything from 14 ohms even up to my planars which i have to max out the volume with due to the AM3 amplifier.

Aug 15, 2019 at 9:25 PM Post #1,375 of 3,226
Hi,

Another new Q5S owner here. Only had few hours with it. So pleased so far.
Using from balanced > BGVP 2.5mm 600 Wire 6N OCC Pure Silver > TinHifi P1. On low gain with no bass boost > BT Ldac > galaxy s9 > poweramp pro high res mode.

Not sure if it was mentioned anywhere. A major plus for me is the lack of any audio video sync issues in YT and Netflix.

Am listening now..Fiio iz not messing around boy I'll tell u.

With P1 on low gain at ~65% volume the P1 are blasting!

Hi

Is there Poweramp Pro version? I am using Poweramp full version but unable to find pro version in play store. Can advise where to get pro version?

I tried driving P1 last week using Fiio pure silver 4.4mm cable. The bass is really flat when playing hotel califonia hi res file. I cant recall the volume which i on. But i just find Fiio dun really match P1 well (my personal opinion).

Aug 16, 2019 at 12:24 AM Post #1,377 of 3,226
One major issue with the design of amp modules and their own cables, is spatial incompatibility. Being 90 degree cables they always get in the way of Audio Jacks!

Aug 16, 2019 at 1:19 AM Post #1,378 of 3,226
It is not problem with ML06, you can switch the other micro USB end. Lightning connector is straight so also no problem.
But with CL06 USB-C it blocks balanced connectors mainly 2.5. This is very bad.
I think reason is switch from originally designed USB-C connector on the body to micro USB.

Fiio, I have paid for CL06 lot of money (for such cable). Is any recommendation for solving this problem?

By the way other Chinese producers make reversible micro USB connectors on their cables. https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesal...rchText=micro+usb+reversible&switch_new_app=y

New finding : declared battery capacity is 3800 mAh, my measured capacity when charging from blinking red led for some time is 3700 mAh. So battery is good.
What is your real play time? Did anybody measured this? Declared is 9.5 hours.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2019 at 4:58 AM Post #1,379 of 3,226
Hi

Is there Poweramp Pro version? I am using Poweramp full version but unable to find pro version in play store. Can advise where to get pro version?

With Poweramp You have 1. trial version which is also the full app once ulocked and 2. Poweramp Full version unlocker.

When in poweramp go to settings > audio > output > Hi-Res Output: activate BT.
Also make sure to check off DVC:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190816-115602_Poweramp.jpg
    Screenshot_20190816-115602_Poweramp.jpg
    349.7 KB · Views: 0
Aug 16, 2019 at 4:59 AM Post #1,380 of 3,226
One major issue with the design of amp modules and their own cables, is spatial incompatibility. Being 90 degree cables they always get in the way of Audio Jacks!

Yes. In future gotta get straight type of connector for the interconnector. Luckily now my FA7 is not interfering with Shanling L2 cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back