[FiiO Q5s Type C ‖ Q5s] Bluetooth DSD-capable Amplifier,AK4493x2,768k/32bit
Jul 4, 2019 at 1:23 PM Post #301 of 3,226
I use both connectors, don't really care, as long as they work that is good enough for me.

Jul 4, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #303 of 3,226
You can be interested in researching new technology and still enjoy listening to audio. One doesn't preclude the other and there is nothing wrong with those who are into the pursuit of newness. We all have our own journey through the hobby and all paths are equally valid, IMO.

I do agree and it is why I put a 'smiley face' at the end of my comment.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2019 at 2:16 AM Post #305 of 3,226
I wonder what Fiio’s track record is like with product quality at launch? Does it make sense to wait a bit till they iron out the bugs?
Not in my experience, no. I haven't heard of Fiio botching any launches so far, so I don't think the Q5s is going to be different.

Jul 5, 2019 at 2:39 AM Post #306 of 3,226
Not in my experience, no. I haven't heard of Fiio botching any launches so far, so I don't think the Q5s is going to be different.
For sure, not only do they have considerable learning from the Q5 launch, but not having to deal with Android and apps really simplifies things and by extension greatly reduces the variables that could turn into bugs. We know the build quality and design will be very good, we also know that FiiO can pull off excellent Bluetooth implementations as well as great DAC and amp sections. Because of these factors I think the Q5s and firmware will roll out rock stable. Doesn't mean some small issues might not arise, but to expect any issues larger than a minor annoyance seems hard to support when you examine the Q5 and that products entry into the market.

Jul 5, 2019 at 6:11 AM Post #307 of 3,226
For sure, not only do they have considerable learning from the Q5 launch, but not having to deal with Android and apps really simplifies things and by extension greatly reduces the variables that could turn into bugs. We know the build quality and design will be very good, we also know that FiiO can pull off excellent Bluetooth implementations as well as great DAC and amp sections. Because of these factors I think the Q5s and firmware will roll out rock stable. Doesn't mean some small issues might not arise, but to expect any issues larger than a minor annoyance seems hard to support when you examine the Q5 and that products entry into the market.
wait will it not work whit android ?

Jul 5, 2019 at 8:06 AM Post #308 of 3,226

Fiio botched the M9 launch. I bought three defective units in a row -- returned all of them in extreme frustration. It seems like I'm able to find a lot of similar stories online.

In my eyes, glad they are ironing out any potential issues with the Q5S.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2019 at 9:23 AM Post #309 of 3,226
In December of '18 I ordered a am3b for my q5 and I am still waiting for its new version to be released after being notified three months after the original order that the then product was no longer in production.

Marketing and promoting a product without the ability to manufacture is a poor business plan.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2019 at 9:29 AM Post #310 of 3,226
It will work with Android or anything you plug it into. It simply isn't a digital audio player that needs constant updates like your common smartphone. Phone manufacturers have the manpower to crank out updates left and right but a smaller boutique/niche company like Fiio has had a track record of having some Android software hiccups. They are corrected in time just not as quickly as some may would like. But the Q5s and pretty much bulletproof when it comes to firmware. Receive signal amplify signal no muss no fuss.

Jul 5, 2019 at 10:55 AM Post #311 of 3,226
It will work with Android or anything you plug it into. It simply isn't a digital audio player that needs constant updates like your common smartphone. Phone manufacturers have the manpower to crank out updates left and right but a smaller boutique/niche company like Fiio has had a track record of having some Android software hiccups. They are corrected in time just not as quickly as some may would like. But the Q5s and pretty much bulletproof when it comes to firmware. Receive signal amplify signal no muss no fuss.
The fiio q5s is not available in the usa market.

Fiio has had a problem with which android version is compatible with certain players. I any regard not having updates is not an advantage to advertise.

Jul 5, 2019 at 11:08 AM Post #312 of 3,226
There updates take longer than apple or Samsung eventually people will have to get over it and and start thinking rationally instead of this smear campaign against a company not shilling out explosive batteries or malleable aluminum.. The Q5/Q5s is a portable DAC/amp not an Android music player. Once it's realeased you may update the firmware twice over it's lifespan. Unlike a X3 mark III or Hiby R6/3 and they're new M-series. Save your snide remarks for your loved ones. Not ***z it's not released but it's in the same chassis as the Q5 with a 4493 DAC and a new Bluetooth module. This three is toxic and tired. Sorry @FiiO done with this thread. Good day.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2019 at 11:17 AM Post #313 of 3,226
The fiio q5s is not available in the usa market.

Fiio has had a problem with which android version is compatible with certain players. I any regard not having updates is not an advantage to advertise.

FiiO doesn't have that problem per se, it's more an issue of variation of pin outs on USB-C ports from different manufacturers. Part of why I'm hoping Apple gets their smartphones with USB-C instead of lightning, because I suspect this move will help bring a more standard configuration. Though I can't recall a specific Android dap that didn't work with the Q5. I think it's down to specific phone manufacturers and implementations.

FiiO's firmware implementation on the Q5 was pretty good, and I think they only released one firmware update for the device. This runs in contrast to their DAPs, which have frequent firmware updates.

As far as I'm aware, the Q5S is not yet available in any market. It will be available in the US market, and there are authorized dealers - including on Amazon - you will be able to purchase from.

Jul 5, 2019 at 11:31 AM Post #314 of 3,226
Yes, it will of course, I simply meant that because it isn't itself a DAP running Android there will be less potential bugs no matter what. Plus as others have said here, and I agree the Q5 was released stable and has remained a steady performer so the Q5s is going to be another great release. I think people sometimes fail to realize how difficult making a great DAP is. Not saying that there aren't times FiiO could perhaps improve their game, but overall they do a very solid job and produce really good devices.

Jul 5, 2019 at 12:05 PM Post #315 of 3,226
I don’t get the market for DAP’s when there are good software players (Onkyp HF) available for phones. Even if you want a dedicated device or more storage etc. I’m sure you could buy an older/mid range phone for much cheaper than a DAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back