[FiiO Q5s Type C ‖ Q5s] Bluetooth DSD-capable Amplifier,AK4493x2,768k/32bit
Mar 14, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #3,032 of 3,226
Then you can do a production run and sell it at the market!

A single knock-off for personal use is one thing, but I'm not about to infringe on DD's product, even if they no longer manufacture it. If @lonewitness wants one too, I can ask her how much she'll charge to make a couple.

Mar 14, 2021 at 7:45 PM Post #3,034 of 3,226
How does this dac/amp sound like comparing to IFI iDSD micro Signature?
I'm wondering the same thing. I already own the Q5s-TC and it does sound very good but, sometimes when coming from my desktop amp I miss having having the extra resolution. I wonder if the iDSD Signature will bring the portable sound closer to a desktop setup than the Q5s.

That said, even if I get the Signature and it does end up sounding better than the Q5s, I'll probably keep the Q5s anyway due to its better portability. It's much smaller, it has a great one cable solution for data and charging, plus bluetooth support.

Mar 15, 2021 at 12:08 AM Post #3,035 of 3,226
I'm wondering the same thing. I already own the Q5s-TC and it does sound very good but, sometimes when coming from my desktop amp I miss having having the extra resolution. I wonder if the iDSD Signature will bring the portable sound closer to a desktop setup than the Q5s.

That said, even if I get the Signature and it does end up sounding better than the Q5s, I'll probably keep the Q5s anyway due to its better portability. It's much smaller, it has a great one cable solution for data and charging, plus bluetooth support.
The black version was excellent. As far as portability, no way. It's too big. The sound was awesome though. If you are looking for a desktop in a smaller form factor, the iDSD would fit that role for you.

Edit, I sent back the black version long ago. My definition of portability is something I don't have to hold, fits easily in my pocket. I don't wear skinny jeans. I'm still dressing baggy as if I'm still in the 90's. Even then, the black version to me was not portable for my active needs.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2021 at 12:15 AM Post #3,036 of 3,226
The black version was excellent. As far as portability, no way. It's too big. The sound was awesome though. If you are looking for a desktop in a smaller form factor, the iDSD would fit that role for you.
Have you used the Q5s TC? If so, how does it compare to the Black Label?

I'm definitely looking for portability but not pocket sized necessarily. I don't use these amps on the go. I like to work from coffee shops so I'd be taking this amp in my backpack and then setting it on the table next to my laptop at the coffee shop. That's my main use for these portable amps.

Mar 16, 2021 at 7:01 AM Post #3,037 of 3,226
@FiiO what is the correct latest firmware for the Q5s (non-TC)?

This page indicates it is v0.39: http://www.fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=44904&extra=page=1
This page indicates that it is v0.52: http://www.fiio.net/en/supports/53

I had upgraded to v0.52 seemingly successfully, but I have noticed 2 things when listening connected to either an iPad or a MacBook Pro via USB and playing music through Roon that I did not experience before.

1. There are occasional audio drop-outs (<1sec each)
2. I seem to be only to upsample to 384kHz instead of 768kHz when I enable maximum upsampling in Roon (for test purposes)

I would appreciate your feedback. If only v0.39 is supported on the non-TC Q5s, then please confirm if there will be any problems downgrading to it.

Thank you.

Mar 16, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #3,038 of 3,226
Firmware 0.52 is for the Q5, not the Q5s. You should install the correct firmware (0.39) from you first link.

Mar 16, 2021 at 9:20 PM Post #3,040 of 3,226
Have you used the Q5s TC? If so, how does it compare to the Black Label?

I'm definitely looking for portability but not pocket sized necessarily. I don't use these amps on the go. I like to work from coffee shops so I'd be taking this amp in my backpack and then setting it on the table next to my laptop at the coffee shop. That's my main use for these portable amps.
Go for IFI then. The Q5s TC will never come close to the black label.

Mar 17, 2021 at 9:36 AM Post #3,042 of 3,226
@FiiO what is the correct latest firmware for the Q5s (non-TC)?

This page indicates it is v0.39: http://www.fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=44904&extra=page=1
This page indicates that it is v0.52: http://www.fiio.net/en/supports/53

I had upgraded to v0.52 seemingly successfully, but I have noticed 2 things when listening connected to either an iPad or a MacBook Pro via USB and playing music through Roon that I did not experience before.

1. There are occasional audio drop-outs (<1sec each)
2. I seem to be only to upsample to 384kHz instead of 768kHz when I enable maximum upsampling in Roon (for test purposes)

I would appreciate your feedback. If only v0.39 is supported on the non-TC Q5s, then please confirm if there will be any problems downgrading to it.

Thank you.

Have you just reverted back to the Q5s v0.39 firmware? You may not be able to open the v0.39 firmware update with the system upgrade tool you used as the Q5S firmware download is a .RAR file not a .BIN file so you will need to convert it using someting like below;

https://www.ezyzip.com/vid-rar-to-bin-convert.html

It will be able to see it then and do the update.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2021 at 2:30 PM Post #3,043 of 3,226
Have you just reverted back to the Q5s v0.39 firmware? You may not be able to open the v0.39 firmware update with the system upgrade tool you used as the Q5S firmware download is a .RAR file not a .BIN file so you will need to convert it using someting like below;

https://www.ezyzip.com/vid-rar-to-bin-convert.html

It will be able to see it then and do the update.
Thanks but I was able to reinstall v0.39 quite easily without any conversions. Everything seems restored back how it was and the two issues I mentioned before with v0.52 are resolved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back