FiiO Q5S TC...
Apr 5, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #2 of 20
Where is said that it is discontinued ?

They are about to release a lot of new DAPs with some of them coming out August. I was thinking they will keep Q5s TC until then. Or until end of the year. So this is really unexpected.

Overall their devices are not sold well like 7-8 years ago. The thing that they sell now is mostly DAPs, or so i think and they are focusing on them. For good or bad.

Apr 5, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #3 of 20
I think the Q5S TC just came out a few months ago. no stock on amazon and bhphoto ran out over the weekend and it says discontinued.

I will be mad because I thought about getting the topping nx4 but said f it, at least try what you really want plus I want the type c and bluetoof. ugh.

Apr 5, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #4 of 20
I think they may release Q7 (or something like this), but this will not be until at least the end of the year (since DAPs launches will continue until August, so i think).

They are discontinuing most portable amps, only the BTR's and Q3 remains ? Seems so. No amp modules for the Q5, no A5.

Apr 6, 2021 at 2:03 AM Post #6 of 20
maybe I jumped to conclusions. bhphoto is showing back in stock. hopefully i can get it next week.
Ok.

You did research right ? You know you probably need balanced cables for your headphones. And usb cable with disabled charging if you use it wired with your phone and do not want to turn charging off manually. For the Q5s TC this.

Apr 6, 2021 at 9:47 PM Post #7 of 20
3.5mm se and 4.4mm balanced right? i only have one balanced IEM on 2.5 and plan on getting a 2.5 female to 4.4male. if i don't change my mind, my galaxy note 9 will be velcroed to this semi-permanently.

man, i just looked at bhphoto again and it says discontinued. part of me knows there could be shortage on stock and not really discontinued but I also have not forgotten about the Asahi Kasei fire either.

Apr 7, 2021 at 3:06 AM Post #8 of 20
3.5mm se and 4.4mm balanced right? i only have one balanced IEM on 2.5 and plan on getting a 2.5 female to 4.4male. if i don't change my mind, my galaxy note 9 will be velcroed to this semi-permanently.

man, i just looked at bhphoto again and it says discontinued. part of me knows there could be shortage on stock and not really discontinued but I also have not forgotten about the Asahi Kasei fire either.
Yes. In the Fiio Q5s topic most of the people agree that it sounds best balanced. More power, more control and the like.

Though, i will tell you my opinion as well. I have Q5, not Q5s or Q5s TC. Really great sound quality if you have external amplifier and use it only as DAC. DAC is exellent, the amp module not so much. It is another amp module in the Q5s and TC compared to Q5, but in common they have very low power output out of the single ended jack and most people go for the balanced cables for their headphones for this reason (and say it sounds better balanced). I have AM5 amp module from the past, which is only single ended and on paper has similar power output to the stock amp module balanced jack. I cannot say this device is good amplifier at all. But its a great DAC. And with IEMs as well probably, though i do not have IEMs and cannot say for sure. The others are liking it though (the stock amp module with IEMs). And Q5s and TC have Bluetooth high quality codecs, Ldac.

I mean, be wary of using it with high impedance headphones, it will not do well. That is my advice. If you need portability, it is good device overall.

Apr 7, 2021 at 9:12 PM Post #9 of 20
i only have one pair of 250o hp and it is not balanced. beyer 770. and the only pair of balanced iems I own I actually prefer se because the dynamic range and bass are slightly better. balanced they don't have enough bass.

Apr 10, 2021 at 4:01 PM Post #10 of 20
Ugh. I am still looking. Think the Evergreen boat or the pileup has some more? Fiio hasn't said anything afaik. ebay has some jacked up prices but there's not a lot.

not a lot out there with usb type c or have to spend more. argh. and going to have to wait for more competition to come out type c on cheaper stuff.

and the only reason I am willing to spend that much is AKM. there are two other products I am waiting to buy are ESS and I could buy both and still have enough leftover to buy more. I plan on buying something balanced ~250 ohms. Glad I'm not an audiophile.

What is also bothersome is the lack of places to buy. I could get it for $500 but why spend more than $100 over msrp. before we know it Taco Bell will be the only corporation standing.

Apr 10, 2021 at 5:52 PM Post #11 of 20
Fiio does not answer during weekends (at least on HeadFi). If you have asked something, wait for Monday. They are not ignoring, at least never happened with me. And write on PM my advice. They cant look all topics and give more attention to the PMs.

What is with AKM ? You mean you like the sound or just prefer to have device with ESS and AKM dac chip.

Apr 10, 2021 at 9:18 PM Post #12 of 20
I figured some people in here might know. I will email Fiio about it soon.

As far AKM, my Marantz pre pro is AKM and I like it alot. Now you got me thinking should I look for ESS to hook up to the pre pro for comparison. But honestly, Fiio has a decent track record and I like the DAC on paper and I like the look and size and it will probably pair nicely with a note 9. I may get the Qudelix 5k soon and that would add another ESS DAC. I will probably get the Topping NX4 also and that would make 3 portable ESS's I own. My music system isn't even hooked up and I'm all portable for now. I haven't even opened some ccb8's and 2 vtf 15's yet. My CD5 is getting long in the tooth though it is holding up quite well. I want to get at least one of these portable damp's before I think about my next headphone purchase. I'm thinking something around 250o balanced. or the beyerdynamic 770 80o. The 770 250o play really well and if enough juice and the right bass can make your chest vibrate.

Apr 11, 2021 at 5:20 AM Post #13 of 20
This is Fiio - https://www.head-fi.org/members/fiio.84589/

If you have questions, ask this profile on PM. Or as you said write them email. Though they will probably advice you to enter in their official website and in 'where to buy' section to search for vendor near your location. If there will be any Fiio Q5 left for seling there is another thing. They often advice to check in AliExpress as well. You could type in google search - aliexpress fiio official store - and will appear their shop in Aliexpress.

I want to get at least one of these portable damp's before I think about my next headphone purchase.
Ok. Headphones will give you 70% of the sound signature and quality. The rest is DAC and amp section.

I have DT 770 as well, the 80 ohm version, not 250 however. They are compared to other headphones very "alive" and dynamic, with bass and treble. You will get good sound with Q5 series on this (if can power them well, i have my doubts for the 250ohm version, but you have other amplifiers which is good). Q5s and Q5s TC are considered very neutral, which with this headphones will be just right in my opinion, with bass, but not overwhelming and treble for good details. If you are looking for the 80ohm version, know that it is still hard to drive out of any phone/tablet and such. You will get sound of it them, but very weak. There are comparisons here between the different ohm versions here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/gui...-dt770-dt990-models-more.513393/#post-6938759

Can't say anything for the Topping. What i would advice is look for a amplifier that by specs says 700-800mW + at 32 ohms. That will be good for a 250ohms. You can get loud volume at lower power specs, but the headphones will not rumble on your head. Meybe try using the Fiio Q5 as DAC with Marantz as amplifier, this will be good. As for portable amps.....there are not many powerful nowadays, as most companies make dac+amp in one and it is often with low output power.

The 770 250o play really well and if enough juice and the right bass can make your chest vibrate.
Yes, i agree.

You will probably have to use EQ though, to lower the treble if you want to listen little bit louder.

Happy listening :).

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2021 at 8:45 PM Post #14 of 20
This is Fiio - https://www.head-fi.org/members/fiio.84589/

If you have questions, ask this profile on PM. Or as you said write them email. Though they will probably advice you to enter in their official website and in 'where to buy' section to search for vendor near your location. If there will be any Fiio Q5 left for seling there is another thing. They often advice to check in AliExpress as well. You could type in google search - aliexpress fiio official store - and will appear their shop in Aliexpress.

Ok. Headphones will give you 70% of the sound signature and quality. The rest is DAC and amp section.

I have DT 770 as well, the 80 ohm version, not 250 however. They are compared to other headphones very "alive" and dynamic, with bass and treble. You will get good sound with Q5 series on this (if can power them well, i have my doubts for the 250ohm version, but you have other amplifiers which is good). Q5s and Q5s TC are considered very neutral, which with this headphones will be just right in my opinion, with bass, but not overwhelming and treble for good details. If you are looking for the 80ohm version, know that it is still hard to drive out of any phone/tablet and such. You will get sound of it them, but very weak. There are comparisons here between the different ohm versions here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/gui...-dt770-dt990-models-more.513393/#post-6938759

Can't say anything for the Topping. What i would advice is look for a amplifier that by specs says 700-800mW + at 32 ohms. That will be good for a 250ohms. You can get loud volume at lower power specs, but the headphones will not rumble on your head. Meybe try using the Fiio Q5 as DAC with Marantz as amplifier, this will be good. As for portable amps.....there are not many powerful nowadays, as most companies make dac+amp in one and it is often with low output power.

Yes, i agree.

You will probably have to use EQ though, to lower the treble if you want to listen little bit louder.

Happy listening :).
I exhausted all places that sell fiio. nowhere to be found, even aliexpress. I don't think I will be buying it though. I read the ASR review of it again and for the price it should measure considerably better and many cite it's lack of power, with a THX module even. and many mentions of fiio ignoring there and here.

topping nx4 should be here next week. got a qudelix 5k today and es100 sounds better to my ears but almost everything else with q5k is better like form factor and buttons. while I wait for a suitable damp with type C USB I plan on getting a pair of IEMs and another pair of cans.

Apr 16, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #15 of 20
welp. the TC popped up on amazon with 4 units and gone in ~24h. They were $450 even too. already paying a premium at $360 for something that measures poorly and has little power for it's size. Sigh. Sucks. The Q5S TC was very enticing for also having bluetooth. :triportsad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back