[FiiO Q5s Type C ‖ Q5s] Bluetooth DSD-capable Amplifier,AK4493x2,768k/32bit
Aug 24, 2019 at 3:15 AM Post #1,606 of 3,226
No I am talking about listening music with my q5s connected to my phone thru bluetooth

The app works fine for me and initially connected without any issues (iPhone 7+). There are 2 EQ's within the app, one is the main app music player EQ (which isn't systemwide) and the other is within the BT section of the app and is system wide (my understanding of that is that it applies the EQ settings to the Q5s so is enabled if listening to music through iTunes etc) and is also retained in the memory of the Q5s afaik.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2019 at 3:42 AM Post #1,607 of 3,226
Shouldn't it ultimately be about the music? We've come a long way. This is an awesome portable DAC/Amp especially with the AM3D Module.
What music? Normal people listen to music with their audio gear. Audio maniacs (all of us here, right) listen to our audio gear using music.

Aug 24, 2019 at 4:02 AM Post #1,608 of 3,226
Yes ldac, it sounds amazing especially with neutron. I can't detect any difference from usb. I could go on a long rant about clocking and the USB path verses data from the Qualcomm chip, all paths go through an fpg chip and clocking chips....

But just let me say this is a very good BT implementation. And if timing were off (and I suspect it's not) it would be cents at the most and probably .9 and less in pitch change which isn't detectable, unless you're one in a million.

If something is or is not decectable depends on many things and we are talking only about one of them but each of us has all the other things different. So our views are not so well comparable.

What is important according me:
1. Which record - test in this quality class has to be done only on high quality records, acoustic music, jazz, classical, and so on. Forget about most pop, rock, rap, any electronic, these are mostly badly recorded.
2. Sample rate and bit depth.
3. Which player you use and how it is set, if there is some resampling within player or output is bitperfect.
4. Which operating system you use and how it handles BT. Generally Android resamples to 48kHz, maybe possible to set in player. What does OS with player output?
5.Quality of BT reception
6. Implementation of BT/USB in dacamp.
7. Quality of dacamp.
8. Output type - SE or balanced
9. Quality and resolution of headphones/speakers.

6. and 7. are the only constants in our case. If some parts are not as should be then the possibility of hearing differences is lower. So comparing I hear/dont hear does not have sense if at least most part are not the same or at least similar.

If somebody is satisfied with BT - no problem. I am not so much. I hear clear difference in handling of trebles. There are some tracks where it is hard to hear difference and other where it is clear. Tracks with lot of trebles like Beck - The Golden Change from Sea Change (MFSL CD edition 16/44 FLAC). Trebles are a bit distorted by bluetooth and clean by USB. Why if LDAC 990kb/s should be looseless? I can hear this within first seconds.
Gear used : Samsung S7, UAPP player I hope correctly set for loosless bitperfect also for BT, AKG K701 headphones on SE output.

Hopefully the next firmware update fixes the DSD512 issue. This Q5s is an amazing device. I'm truly impressed. Good Job @FiiO ! Numbers!!
What do you mean by DSD512 issue? DSD512 is not in DAC chip specification. Only DSD256..
Are there any DSD512 files? I know only about some which were upsampled from DSD256. I think DSD512 has no sense in real world. Quality is not higher and 6 min. track has 2GB!

Aug 24, 2019 at 4:35 AM Post #1,609 of 3,226
If something is or is not decectable depends on many things and we are talking only about one of them but each of us has all the other things different. So our views are not so well comparable.

1. Which record - test in this quality class has to be done only on high quality records, acoustic music, jazz, classical, and so on. Forget about most pop, rock, rap, any electronic, these are mostly badly recorded.
3. Which player you use and how it is set, if there is some resampling within player or output is bitperfect.
4. Which operating system you use and how it handles BT. Generally Android resamples to 48kHz, maybe possible to set in player. What does OS with player output?
7. Quality of dacamp.

6. and 7. are the only constants in our case. If some parts are not as should be then the possibility of hearing differences is lower. So comparing I hear/dont hear does not have sense if at least most part are not the same or at least similar.

If somebody is satisfied with BT - no problem. I am not so much. I hear clear difference in handling of trebles. There are some tracks where it is hard to hear difference and other where it is clear. Tracks with lot of trebles like Beck - The Golden Change from Sea Change (MFSL CD edition 16/44 FLAC). Trebles are a bit distorted by bluetooth and clean by USB. Why if LDAC 990kb/s should be looseless? I can hear this within first seconds.
Gear used : Samsung S7, UAPP player I hope correctly set for loosless bitperfect also for BT, AKG K701 headphones on SE output.

What do you mean by DSD512 issue? DSD512 is not in DAC chip specification. Only DSD256..
Are there any DSD512 files? I know only about some which were upsampled from DSD256. I think DSD512 has no sense in real world. Quality is not higher and 6 min. track has 2GB!

There was some indication by Fiio that the Q5s supported DSD512. The AKM4493 Chipset is capable of playing or upsampling files at that sample rate.

If DSD512 doesn't make sense to you; That's all well and good. I'm listening for my own enjoyment. Storage space isn't a concern of mine. XiSRC makes it possible to convert other formats into DSD512.

I'm not here to discuss technical minutiae or placebo effects. It just sounds pleasant to my ears to upsample my library. If the device is capable of performing at that level, then hopefully Fiio will enable it.

It's kind of difficult to walk back a possible typo or selling point for a product launch when this was seen on this site and other outlets stating 32 bit/768 kHz and DSD512 sample rates were supported.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fii...output-usb-bluetooth-spdif-line-input.902614/

https://www.akm.com/akm/en/product/datasheet1/?partno=AK4493EQ

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2019 at 5:16 AM Post #1,610 of 3,226
Ok, it is "capable" DSD512 but with several exceptions. I dont know if these exceptions are important but... I have real datasheet which has 104 pages:
DSD Datastream: Analog characteristics are not guaranteed with DSD512 datastream.
Maybe Fiio read first dac marketing pages and later their technicians read the exceptions and stopped it. Who knows.

For me even DSD256 does not make much sense. Comparable PCM resolution is 24/352. I just dont think "more bands more addddiidddasss". It is much more complex problem. I have heard great recordings in 16/24 and total crap in DSD256.

Aug 24, 2019 at 7:38 AM Post #1,611 of 3,226

7. Quality of dacamp.

The two things I was talking about ARE not detectable there is no circumstances which would make that possible, so you're missing the point there.

I have the Beck track and I don't hear distorted treble on bluetooth. Doesn't matter because I'm using balanced out with sensitive iems and a different amp module. So many different variables there, pointless to compare.

You mentioned 'timings' and jitter before and timing variations and jitter that are audible are pretty much a thing of the past.

I was making the point that both signals bluetooth and usb out go through the same systems before output and the usb out actually mixes in it's own set of problems, which would be pointless to explain to you.

Some advice- just try and enjoy the music.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2019 at 8:18 AM Post #1,612 of 3,226
Same way with timing/jitter, it's gotten so low, it's also inaudible. Just listen and enjoy the beautiful sound :)

I remember real hiss and distortion with cassettes and 8 track. The stuff is so clean and detailed today, it's crazy we can have that kind of quality in the palm of our hand. Plus the power, try running some open back senns on a 70's portable cassette player or an 80's era discman. Good luck Lol.
Absolutely, and yet consternation over non-issues like amplifier distortion remain so powerful that people think there is an audible difference between 0.05% and 0.0005% THD.

Aug 24, 2019 at 9:35 AM Post #1,613 of 3,226
Tin P1 arrived today. Am chuffed to bits. Honestly didn't expect this supreme sound. Q5s and Tin P1 on balanced is match made in heaven.
My portable kit is largely complete now.
Just waiting for AM3D.
My Tin P1 arrived today attached them to a 4.4mm 16 core cable and I am trying them out with the Q5s and the AM3D amp. Led Zeppelin has never sounded so good, either through bluetooth or USB. At the moment I am listening through the Q5s via the M5 which is strapped to my wrist.

Aug 24, 2019 at 11:51 AM Post #1,615 of 3,226
My Tin P1 arrived today attached them to a 4.4mm 16 core cable and I am trying them out with the Q5s and the AM3D amp. Led Zeppelin has never sounded so good, either through bluetooth or USB. At the moment I am listening through the Q5s via the M5 which is strapped to my wrist.

How do you like m5? That sounds like a cool setup. Oh and are you guys feeling the need to use the bass boost on P1?

Aug 24, 2019 at 12:03 PM Post #1,616 of 3,226
Absolutely, and yet consternation over non-issues like amplifier distortion remain so powerful that people think there is an audible difference between 0.05% and 0.0005% THD.

It's almost better to not look at specs and think about what amp and dac is in the unit and just listen.

Super hard to do, I know :)

Like the numbers on the Am3d amp module, the 5th down (crappy screeshot) is THD+N Those are bragging numbers there, although it does sound clean. :)

Screenshot_20190813-135336_Chrome.jpg

Aug 24, 2019 at 2:15 PM Post #1,617 of 3,226
How do you like m5? That sounds like a cool setup. Oh and are you guys feeling the need to use the bass boost on P1?
I just tried the bass boost on my P1. The bass becomes bloated and mushy. The overall sound deteriorates. Not subtle change.

Aug 24, 2019 at 3:57 PM Post #1,618 of 3,226
I just tried the bass boost on my P1. The bass becomes bloated and mushy. The overall sound deteriorates. Not subtle change.

I just wondered, I used eq when I had the p1- but I didn't have Q5s or Am3d at the time. I haven't used the bass boost.

With Am3d I haven't really felt the need for eq

Aug 24, 2019 at 8:28 PM Post #1,619 of 3,226

Ya tat is wat i feel too. Anyway, P1 is not my cup of tea though the clarity is really very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back