[FiiO Q5s Type C ‖ Q5s] Bluetooth DSD-capable Amplifier,AK4493x2,768k/32bit
Aug 16, 2019 at 11:58 AM Post #1,396 of 3,226
Was a really good time for music, I saw him in Cleveland and it was a very good show. Rush probably is my favorite Rock band of all time, I've seen them countless times. In fact I just bought Geddy Lee's Big Beautiful Book of Bass for my son for his b-day. I think something's in the water up there :)
My brother went to the book signing event with Geddy in late July. Water is pretty good up here! Lots of natural filtration through the Canadian Shield :wink:. I guess you saw Clockwork Angels. I am glad they finished up on such a strong album. Yes, the 80s were pretty fantastic for music, shame that many of the recordings were thin and clinical, but digital was pretty darn new and artists and engineers were just learning so can't be too tough on them. Do you like Tool at all?

Aug 16, 2019 at 11:59 AM Post #1,397 of 3,226
I thought Q5S does not back-charge WM1A. However I see all four LEDs light up while they are connected. I have disabled charge with Bluetooth before connecting them. So back-charging happens?
I have returned AM3D and listening with AM3E. It is a very nice module!
I also like the AM3E module. I find it a little warmer which works for me. I am actually about to take the AM3D off and put the AM3E back on.

Aug 16, 2019 at 12:02 PM Post #1,398 of 3,226
I thought Q5S does not back-charge WM1A. However I see all four LEDs light up while they are connected. I have disabled charge with Bluetooth before connecting them. So back-charging happens?
I have returned AM3D and listening with AM3E. It is a very nice module!

It back charges all of my daps too, that's why I've been using my s10e and bluetooth. Doesn't seem to back charge the phone. Hopefully can be fixed in firmware.

Yep stock amp sounds just like m11 to me, very, very nice. Been awhile since I've had wm1a but from memory they probably sound similar.

I loved wm1a but I had 2 from best buy with obvious dead pixels. So I gave up. I'm interested in the supposed nw100, will it sound like zx300/wm1a and have 4.4 balanced? Will it stream? Will it be smaller like nw a45?

Aug 16, 2019 at 12:03 PM Post #1,399 of 3,226
In FiiO Music app when you connect through Bluetooth.
I'm already connected to the PC via USB because I use q5s as desktop DAC/AMP. See what I mean:
K3.jpg

K3 Volume.jpg

Q5s.jpg

Aug 16, 2019 at 12:08 PM Post #1,400 of 3,226
It back charges all of my daps too, that's why I've been using my s10e and bluetooth. Doesn't seem to back charge the phone. Hopefully can be fixed in firmware.

Yep stock amp sounds just like m11 to me, very, very nice. Been awhile since I've had wm1a but from memory they probably sound similar.

I loved wm1a but I had 2 from best buy with obvious dead pixels. So I gave up. I'm interested in the supposed nw100, will it sound like zx300/wm1a and have 4.4 balanced? Will it stream? Will it be smaller like nw a45?
If they don't fix it in a firmware, it kind of defeats Q5S as a multifaceted portable audio gear. You don't won't your DAP to be a battery bank to Q5S!

Aug 16, 2019 at 12:09 PM Post #1,401 of 3,226
I also like the AM3E module. I find it a little warmer which works for me. I am actually about to take the AM3D off and put the AM3E back on.

Lol I was just thinking about throwing mine back on. I'd like to see them do a korg tube amp similar to cayin n8.

Then you would have your all arounder- AM3E, your more neutral reference one- AM3D, and a big warm bass monster with AM3T. T for tube ha ha.

That would cover pretty much everything, because they already have a high output one.

Aug 16, 2019 at 12:24 PM Post #1,405 of 3,226
My brother went to the book signing event with Geddy in late July. Water is pretty good up here! Lots of natural filtration through the Canadian Shield :wink:. I guess you saw Clockwork Angels. I am glad they finished up on such a strong album. Yes, the 80s were pretty fantastic for music, shame that many of the recordings were thin and clinical, but digital was pretty darn new and artists and engineers were just learning so can't be too tough on them. Do you like Tool at all?

I have been to every Rush show ha ha. Clockwork Angels was fantastic. One of the best things about Rush is there albums can be so distinctive, and varied and yet be so 'Rush'. Truly one of a kind.

Tool? Yes please :) can't wait for the full album.

Screenshot_20190816-121953_FiiO Music.jpg

I like anybody that rocks!

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2019 at 12:26 PM Post #1,406 of 3,226
I don't think I would use Bass boost too. It attenuates trebles as it was posted before. In comparison, IFI micro line, has a very nice Bass boost feature, which does not touch other frequency ranges on boost.
But it has enough impact on Bass with neutrality, perhaps with a touch of warmth. I don't think my impressions on AM3D was correct as it was a faulty unit. I looking forward to listen Focal Clear/He1000V2 balanced. I need those connectors!

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2019 at 2:40 PM Post #1,408 of 3,226
I'm already connected to the PC via USB because I use q5s as desktop DAC/AMP. See what I mean:

Yes, I understand, but Q5 settings can only be accessed via the Fiio Music app on Android or iOS. There is no option in PC USB driver. Or at least that was the case last time when this was discussed in the Q5 thread.
I have version 4.13.0 of USB driver with fewer tabs at the top. I see now there's a newer version >> https://www.fiio.com/Driver_Download
What version do you have installed?

fiio_usb.png

So if you want to save a new balance setting that will "stick" inside the Q5 you'll have to access it via the FiiO Music app in Bluetooth mode.

But if you want to temporary tweak the balance when connected to PC in Windows you can access that setting in the properties window of the sound device:

Clipboard02.png

Aug 16, 2019 at 2:58 PM Post #1,409 of 3,226
Yes, I understand, but Q5 settings can only be accessed via the Fiio Music app on Android or iOS. There is no option in PC USB driver. Or at least that was the case last time when this was discussed in the Q5 thread.
I have version 4.13.0 of USB driver with fewer tabs at the top. I see now there's a newer version >> https://www.fiio.com/Driver_Download
What version do you have installed?

So if you want to save a new balance setting that will "stick" inside the Q5 you'll have to access it via the FiiO Music app in Bluetooth mode.

But if you want to temporary tweak the balance when connected to PC in Windows you can access that setting in the properties window of the sound device:

My driver is version 4.47.0. It is the latest. However your device revision is different - v.0.52 vs my v.0.32.
Windows settings don't affect the sound probably because the FiiO's ASIO takes over.
I might change the balance in FiiO app eventually although this isn't ideal to me.
fiiodriverv.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2019 at 3:03 PM Post #1,410 of 3,226
@FiiO
Request: Fast Forward/Rewind function with the Next/Previous buttons on Q5s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back