[FiiO Q5s Type C ‖ Q5s] Bluetooth DSD-capable Amplifier,AK4493x2,768k/32bit
Aug 14, 2019 at 4:10 AM Post #1,306 of 3,226
I just received my Q5s. First user in my country :), from local dealer.

Currently charging. But my first visual/mechanical impressions:

Front brushed plate of body has razor sharp edges and corners on both left and right sides! It may be even dangerous because when changing volume your finger may cut on it. Or tear your pocket or whatever. This is really big fail in design. It does not feel good in my hand ,like I would hold knife edge, as opposite to Q1mkII which is really very nice in hand and I love to hold it. I am glad leather case is on the way to me.

During today I will check SE on AKG K701, balanced on my IEM KZ ZS7 and line out on my "better than average" audio system. I will compare it with Q1mkII.

You would not like AK stuff then:wink: More right angles than a Picasso. I have carried it in my pocket and handled it without incident though.

Aug 14, 2019 at 4:20 AM Post #1,307 of 3,226
I just received my Q5s. First user in my country :), from local dealer.

Currently charging. But my first visual/mechanical impressions:

Front brushed plate of body has razor sharp edges and corners on both left and right sides! It may be even dangerous because when changing volume your finger may cut on it. Or tear your pocket or whatever. This is really big fail in design. It does not feel good in my hand ,like I would hold knife edge, as opposite to Q1mkII which is really very nice in hand and I love to hold it. I am glad leather case is on the way to me.

During today I will check SE on AKG K701, balanced on my IEM KZ ZS7 and line out on my "better than average" audio system. I will compare it with Q1mkII.

Yes it is really very sharp. I m now using thr supplied pouch to house it till my case arrive. So far no issue. Just handle with more care.

Aug 14, 2019 at 7:24 AM Post #1,308 of 3,226
3.jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2019 at 7:40 AM Post #1,310 of 3,226
Got my Q5S. I listened to stock module for a while and swapped to AM3D. Listening to it with Focal Clear single ended and Westone W80 with 4.4mm balanced. I listened to it with PC + USB(Foobar), LDAC + WM1A, USB + WM1A. I couldn't get my Galaxy S10+ to pair with it through LDAC, though I played with FIIO Music app as well as developer settings on S10+. It always connect to SBC. USB audio player do not recognize it thorough S10+ USB.
FIIO Music app would need more work surely.
I like the sound signature and AM3E is a good amp module. However I like AM3D more as it has more clarity, controlled bass, space and speed. It is subtle, however change is very discernible. LDAC sounds very good with WM1A.
I need to change the case of WM1A as it does not allow stacking of the Q5S. The WMPORT cable gets in the way of 3.5 mm connector of the Focal clear. I am waiting for the 4.4mm connectors for building custom cables for Focal Clear and HE1000V2.
WM1A + USB + 4.4mm Westone sounds very good. It can drive Focal Clear with high gain volume dialed to 12'.
Over all I like the device very much. However LDAC issues with devices has to be fixed. Looks Q5S is a work in progress.
It does not back-charge WM1A.

Aug 14, 2019 at 7:41 AM Post #1,311 of 3,226
Is that the case from Ali Express? Looks nice. Also nice to see the wm1a putting out the correct bit rate depth with the yellow colour.
It is the DD case from Ali-express.

Aug 14, 2019 at 7:49 AM Post #1,314 of 3,226
Thanks, might have to break down and get it. I like that they have the window cut out for the led light.
I like tat too but i do not like the 4 bands at the back. If iot has the option of not having the bands, i will sure choose that.

Aug 14, 2019 at 8:00 AM Post #1,315 of 3,226
I like tat too but i do not like the 4 bands at the back. If iot has the option of not having the bands, i will sure choose that.
You can cut them off! I am seriously thinking of that!

Aug 14, 2019 at 8:04 AM Post #1,317 of 3,226
I need to compare this with WM1A standalone as a player. It is a damn good player own its own. Main attraction of the Q5S had been its LDAC. Its a pity, I can not get S10+ to work with it. @FiiO could guide me anything more to do or alert FIIO of this bug?

Aug 14, 2019 at 8:09 AM Post #1,318 of 3,226
I need to compare this with WM1A standalone as a player. It is a damn good player own its own. Main attraction of the Q5S had been its LDAC. Its a pity, I can not get S10+ to work with it. @FiiO could guide me anything more to do or alert FIIO of this bug?

What's the problem with s10+ ? I'm using my s10e with now problem. I would think they both have the same software.

Aug 14, 2019 at 8:09 AM Post #1,319 of 3,226
It does not do LDAC Codec! I connects to WM1A through LDAC. But S10+ always revert to SBC whatever I do in FIIO Music app or developer settings in the phone.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2019 at 8:23 AM Post #1,320 of 3,226
It does not do LDAC Codec! I connects to WM1A through LDAC. But S10+ always revert to SBC whatever I do in FIIO Music app or developer settings in the phone.

Try these settings on the top slide down menu. Fist hit the fiio Q5 button with the 2 square, circle and little headphone ikon.

Next hit the connected device settings button

Then select ldac on the next screen - bottom pic. If you have ldac in developer settings it should work

Screenshot_20190814-081857_One UI Home.jpg

Screenshot_20190814-081910_Settings.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back