[FiiO Q5s Type C ‖ Q5s] Bluetooth DSD-capable Amplifier,AK4493x2,768k/32bit
Aug 13, 2019 at 10:40 AM Post #1,291 of 3,226
Jesus lol it's just a decibel, at volume that dip isn't going to even be noticable. It's even under load.

What sonic defender is trying to say is anytime you have a peak like that it's going to change how the other frequencies sound- there's no way around it. Looks like fiio went for a more gentle amplitude and topping went for a steeper wave

There's you sound difference, and of course how the shaping effects the curve of the phones or iems you're using. And what impedance, 'load'

Thankfully I've got iems with a great sub bass response. So I definitely don't need a bass boost. But I'd rather eq myself and get the exact curve I wanted. I am using balanced though and am3d.

Yes it is only 1 decibel, but at least to my ears (this is of course a subjective thing) the bass boost does not sound "right" and the NX4's sounds more natural. Plus I am not talking about 1 dB difference in say a noisy street, trying to compare an hydraulic hammer vs a diesel engine on a bus, I am talking a 1 dB listening on headphones in a quiet room, using the same headphones and music file. Hearing is very sensitive and adaptive. At the night when in bed I can clearly hear the noise floor of the room, which is pretty low. I am sure that at day in the same room I would not be able to make out all those little noise, less on a busy street.

This is of course just my perception and not a factual thing. Maybe it is just the slope in the Topping is more steep as you say.

Aug 13, 2019 at 11:31 AM Post #1,292 of 3,226
Aug 13, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #1,293 of 3,226
Some topics that were discusses lately and my take on them. I won't quote anything, there's too much to quote :)

1. Bass boost:
I love it! The way it is implemented in Q5 and I suppose in Q5s also. For my usage scenario it is perfect: I use bass boost mostly for a lot of 70's / 80's pop and rock where the mastering was drier, with less bass and edgy vocals.
It does the perfect thing: adds punch to bass and warms the vocals and makes them sound natural. NATURAL. Not "veiled". I think "veiled" should be banned from head-fi. As sh**t or f**ck. It's overused and wrongly used. So use it for the intended purpose and the bass boost works wonders. Before Q5 I was an avid EQ user. I needed to eq for everything. And I was doing it as Sonic Defender says it's best: Lower the frequency bands that bother you, try not to increase anything or do it in small dose. But I dunno... since I use the Q5 everything sounds perfect as is or with bass boost on. End of EQ fiddling for me. Maybe is a combination of better headphones + Q5 vs older players/phones and worse headphones that I used in the past.

2. Balanced
Generally balanced has one real-life benefit only: more power. End of story. Crosstalk and other "benefits" are just in theory and the values are so small that they are not physically audible. It was measured and proved by professionals. I won't look for proof now. Oh, and the connector - yes - better connector. That's it. The fact that in case of FiiO's implementation the balanced output CAN sound better is another story, and merit of their specific implementation, not a general "balanced is better".

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2019 at 12:27 PM Post #1,294 of 3,226
Yes it is only 1 decibel, but t least to my ears (this is of course a subjective thing) the bass boost does not sound "right" and the NX4's sounds more natural. Plus I am not talking about 1 dB difference in say a noisy street, trying to compare an hydraulic hammer vs a diesel engine on a bus, I am talking a 1 dB listening on headphones in a quiet room, using the same headphones and music file. Hearing is very sensitive and adaptive. At the night when in bed I can clearly hear the noise floor of the room, which is pretty low. I am sure that at day in the same room I would not be able to make out all those little noise, less on a busy street.

This is of course just my perception and not a factual thing. Maybe it is just the slope in the Topping is more steep as you say.

I don't no how you can describe a bass boost more natural, but the topping has a greater boost with curve that's ramped up quickly.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #1,296 of 3,226
The differences aren't night and day but to me they're very noticable from the stock module. Mostly the soundstage and clarity and I like the way it does bass better than the am3e. It also has 90 more mw output power @32 ohms, which isn't huge but nice. The noise and distortion are lower too, which if you have sensitive iems is nice. The only time I would use the stock module after listening to this is if I had more neutral/treble forward cans and iems, I don't know if I'd like the treble- it's very pronounced and revealing.

Chris is hbb.

Oh and the stereo separation which contributes to the image size, is greater with the balanced circuit.

I did mean lower crosstalk, not higher.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #1,297 of 3,226
Agree totally, the treble is certainly more apparent with the AM3D for whatever convergence of factors. I am just now listening to my Klipsch HP-3 from the 3.5mm output on the AM3D and very much enjoying it. On low gain and no bass boost at about 1 oclock it plays at a solid volume and sounds well controlled. Nice, just now a lovely 9Bach track (Llyn Du) is starting. This track has a constant and meandering bass line throughout that underpins the ethereal female vocal track in an otherwise very stripped down piece. Very nice.

Aug 13, 2019 at 4:54 PM Post #1,298 of 3,226
Dear friend,

1. If you are adjusting the equalizer for FiiO music app, the EQ is only in the app:

2. If you are adjusting the EQ of Q5s from FiiO music app-bluetooth device control-FiiO Q5s-equalizer, the EQ is system-wide when the Q5s is working as Bluetooth receiver.

Best regards
That’s cool! Is this a new feature of the Q5s, or should I expect the BT EQ available on the original Q5?

I don’t see it in the FiiO Music App / BT control (iOS).

Aug 13, 2019 at 10:31 PM Post #1,299 of 3,226
Dear friend,

1. If you are adjusting the equalizer for FiiO music app, the EQ is only in the app:

2. If you are adjusting the EQ of Q5s from FiiO music app-bluetooth device control-FiiO Q5s-equalizer, the EQ is system-wide when the Q5s is working as Bluetooth receiver.

Best regards
The equalizer and roll of filter doesn't work at all. I can slide the sliders and choose other roll off filters and nothing happens

Aug 13, 2019 at 10:33 PM Post #1,300 of 3,226
The equalizer and roll of filter doesn't work at all. I can slide the sliders and choose other roll off filters and nothing happens
Just use a player like Neutron or Onkyo HF Player as both have great equalizers. When I use JRiver there again there is the built in parametric EQ or you can find free VST plugins such as EasyQ. Lots of options.

Aug 13, 2019 at 10:36 PM Post #1,301 of 3,226
Just use a player like Neutron or Onkyo HF Player as both have great equalizers. When I use JRiver there again there is the built in parametric EQ or you can find free VST plugins such as EasyQ. Lots of options.
I stream usually. And I would like to play around whit the roll of filters

Aug 14, 2019 at 1:23 AM Post #1,302 of 3,226
I stream usually. And I would like to play around whit the roll of filters
The filters I can't imagine make audible differences, if they do, they must be incredibly subtle, very, very subtle. Streaming is something that I only do at home at this point and when I do with JRiver I can use the WDM driver feature to enable DSP, but I hear you so for sure what you need differs from my needs.

Aug 14, 2019 at 3:19 AM Post #1,304 of 3,226
Dear friend,
1. You could switch the charge on/off option from Fiio music app.
2. You would need to replace the battery.

Best reagards

Hello,
I would like to ask how this replacement is done?
Is it possible to replace it by user? Probably not. Which battery? Where to get it?
Is it replaced by Fiio or your dealer?
How much will it cost?
What is expected average lifetime of the battery in years or hours?

Thanks for reply.

Aug 14, 2019 at 3:45 AM Post #1,305 of 3,226
I just received my Q5s. First user in my country :), from local dealer.

Currently charging. But my first visual/mechanical impressions:

Front brushed plate of body has razor sharp edges and corners on both left and right sides! It may be even dangerous because when changing volume your finger may cut on it. Or tear your pocket or whatever. This is really big fail in design. It does not feel good in my hand ,like I would hold knife edge, as opposite to Q1mkII which is really very nice in hand and I love to hold it. I am glad leather case is on the way to me.

During today I will check SE on AKG K701, balanced on my IEM KZ ZS7 and line out on my "better than average" audio system. I will compare it with Q1mkII.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back