[FiiO Q5s Type C ‖ Q5s] Bluetooth DSD-capable Amplifier,AK4493x2,768k/32bit
Aug 11, 2019 at 6:07 PM Post #1,217 of 3,226
Ldac is really close. And so convenient. Love not messing with wires. :) yep with the thx module and the q5s it's basically the m11 pro sans screen of course. But honestly I'm just using it for sitting down and enjoying great sound.

I've already have several daps and a smartphone, but none of them sounds as good as the q5s/am3d combo
Yep the LDAC is what I got the Q5s for.

Aug 12, 2019 at 1:25 AM Post #1,219 of 3,226
Yep the LDAC is what I got the Q5s for.
LDAC was one major factor for me too.
Backcharging is still happens on DAPs? That's not good news if so. It defeats its portable amp/DAC functionality in USB mode, if it does that.

Aug 12, 2019 at 2:03 AM Post #1,220 of 3,226
Backcharging is still happens on DAPs? That's not good news if so. It defeats its portable amp/DAC functionality in USB mode, if it does that.
From what I am getting with the M0 and M6, yes it is back charging. I cannot find any comment from FiiO about back charging; all I can see is that the Q5s will detect a phone and not charge. It is a pity as the USB linking is much cleaner than line in to line out. I have contacted FiiO about it and let's see what they say.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2019 at 9:23 AM Post #1,222 of 3,226
This was discussed above and through the companion app there is a setting to turn the charging behaviour (which at times might be what a user wants) off.

Aug 12, 2019 at 9:50 AM Post #1,223 of 3,226
I think people who have the Q5s as well as the THX module should do a double blinded test with someones help as this will be the only way to know for sure if it's just a gimmick or not (however ensure all other parameters are kept constant (volume, headphones/IEMS - positioning, song etc)

I found the original Q5 was decent (at the time i reviewed it i thought it was incredible but i have since listened to others)

Aug 12, 2019 at 10:00 AM Post #1,224 of 3,226
This was discussed above and through the companion app there is a setting to turn the charging behaviour (which at times might be what a user wants) off.
Although I am able to switch the charge, that appears to do nothing when it come to draining the M0 and M6, it looks like the charge can be change but once the Q5s is unlinked from the Dap or phone it goes back to open, and both the M0 and M6 do not have access to the charge control, which makes me think that it might be a problem with the way the Q5s is reading the M0/M6. FiiO have asked me to send more information.

Aug 12, 2019 at 10:53 AM Post #1,225 of 3,226
Although I am able to switch the charge, that appears to do nothing when it come to draining the M0 and M6, it looks like the charge can be change but once the Q5s is unlinked from the Dap or phone it goes back to open, and both the M0 and M6 do not have access to the charge control, which makes me think that it might be a problem with the way the Q5s is reading the M0/M6. FiiO have asked me to send more information.
Thanks mate, good to know and please keep the thread updated as you learn more from FiiO. Cheers.

Aug 12, 2019 at 10:53 AM Post #1,226 of 3,226
I think people who have the Q5s as well as the THX module should do a double blinded test with someones help as this will be the only way to know for sure if it's just a gimmick or not (however ensure all other parameters are kept constant (volume, headphones/IEMS - positioning, song etc)

I found the original Q5 was decent (at the time i reviewed it i thought it was incredible but i have since listened to others)

No offense but it's definitly not a gimmick in the sense that it has a different sound signature. It's pretty easy to spot even though it's not night and day.

Sound stage is more expansive, (am3e sounds more boxed in) and everything is a bit more transparent/neutral sounding. Treble is a bit more fleshed out and bass is leaner but with good sub bass. The wider stage gives the mids a bit of a less intimate sound than the excellent stock module.

Best thing to do would be to try one yourself. Just get it from a place with a decent return policy. Even a 'blind test' isn't going be conclusive as we all have different levels of hearing acuity and tastes in sound signatures.

All my listening is through the balanced out, with high gain.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2019 at 11:05 AM Post #1,227 of 3,226
No offense but it's definitly not a gimmick in the sense that it has a different sound signature. It's pretty easy to spot even though it's not night and day.

Sound stage is more expansive, and everything is a bit more transparent/neutral sounding. Treble is a bit more fleshed out and bass is leaner but with good sub bass. The wider stage gives the mids a bit of a less intimate sound than the excellent stock module.

Humans have an inherent bias to justify their own actions (i.e. you having purchased the module already). Not trying to come off as one of those Fiio bashers quite the contrary. I think the only discernable way to know for sure whether it is a placebo affect or not is to test each blinded (as we do in medicine, as it's been proven placebo affect is a very real thing).

Aug 12, 2019 at 11:13 AM Post #1,228 of 3,226
Humans have an inherent bias to justify their own actions (i.e. you having purchased the module already). Not trying to come off as one of those Fiio bashers quite the contrary. I think the only discernable way to know for sure whether it is a placebo affect or not is to test each blinded (as we do in medicine, as it's been proven placebo affect is a very real thing).

No need for me to justify anything, I've bought so much gear over the years - I'm just always curious about new stuff. If I don't like the sound I send it back or sell it

Maybe the first few times yes, but after hundreds of items the new toy syndrome and bias kind of just fades. I wasn't a fan of the x5iii at all, didn't like the sound sig.

But I like where fiio are going with the m11 and Q5s. They sound great for the money.

Plus I'm older and money isn't tight anymore. Like I said just try it for yourself- if you think everyone is biased why even read impressions?

Aug 12, 2019 at 11:16 AM Post #1,229 of 3,226
@FiiO I'm looking for DAC/amp to use with my computer (no portable require)

I check Q5s in your web site. It state that when connect to computer, it will charge the battery. Please kindly give me further information.

1. When connect to computer, will Q5s use power from battery or from usb?
2. in case battery is broke, can I still use Q5s (with computer)? Or I have to replace the battery?

Aug 12, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #1,230 of 3,226
No need for me to justify anything, I've bought so much gear over the years - I'm just always curious about new stuff. If I don't like the sound I send it back or sell it

Maybe the first few times yes, but after hundreds of items the new toy syndrome and bias kind of just fades. I wasn't a fan of the x5iii at all, didn't like the sound sig.

But I like where fiio are going with the m11 and Q5s. They sound great for the money.

Plus I'm older and money isn't tight anymore. Like I said just try it for yourself- if you think everyone is biased why even read impressions?

I think we're discussing 2 seperate topics, i'm buying the Q5s no doubt, my question is whether there is a difference in the modules

I have extremely sensitive ears and i find the Q5 to be bright (especially with IER Z1R's) so i was trawling through these impressions to try get an idea of whether the module change impacts the extension in the high end

I agree with you, Q5 is a great bit of kit for its price

Users who are viewing this thread

Back