[FiiO Q5s Type C ‖ Q5s] Bluetooth DSD-capable Amplifier,AK4493x2,768k/32bit
Oct 11, 2019 at 6:21 PM Post #2,026 of 3,226
I'm not picking on Fiio. Just showing that generally insecurity of distributed software is not a geographical problem.

That's cool. Definitely agree with you there.

It's all personal choice at the end of the day, but it is for me. However, I do exclusively use VMs whenever I update firmware on devices where the installers are not digitally signed.

Oct 11, 2019 at 7:01 PM Post #2,028 of 3,226
Back on topic for audio, I remembered I still have a coax cable back when I had the Q5 and just tried this out on the Q5s and my SU-1 DDC. Very clean sound without harshness or glare. I would choose coax over USB for wired, assuming you have a good coax source.

Oct 11, 2019 at 7:45 PM Post #2,029 of 3,226
Per spec Valkyrie is less sensitive than Wraith but has lower input impedance so you will likely hear background hiss. However we are talking 3 or 4 ohm input impedance so not sure if any DAC or amp is going to be completely silent. My WM1z with Ultimate K-Mod is nearly silent, but there is "something" that I don't hear when I unplug.

Apple's dongle is silent. Odac is as well, but that's not portable. I have an LG V30, will try it on that.

Sorry, what do you mean by last sentence?

Oct 11, 2019 at 10:19 PM Post #2,030 of 3,226
Apple's dongle is silent. Odac is as well, but that's not portable. I have an LG V30, will try it on that.

Sorry, what do you mean by last sentence?

by "something", I mean that I think it is silent, but as soon as I unplug, there is complete silence that is subtle, but noticeably lower than plugged in. As for your comparisons, it sounds like you should be OK with the AM3E, but I'm pretty sure AM3D will hiss at a decent level.

Oct 12, 2019 at 8:41 AM Post #2,033 of 3,226
Probably it has been asked many times but I gonna ask too: xDsd vs Q5s , which one sounds better?
There is no answer, it will depend on who you ask. Yes it has been asked many times and there seems to be a split in preferences. If you can buy them from Amazon and keep the one that you like most. Frankly I know for absolute certain that they will both sound very good. The features and design start to become a factor I feel. I actually put a fair amount of stock in having amp modules that can be changed. I also like having inputs for a 4.4mm balanced cable as it seems that as a standard it has gained the needed momentum that it is now a robust standard (starting to see support for it quite broadly now). Anyway, both are great, no better, just slight signature differences, that type of thing.

Oct 12, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #2,034 of 3,226
*out of russia who joint here to post it and never postet on some other thread
Here in Russia, when they give you firmware for a problem device, they usually say thank you for those who did this firmware really needed to fix the problem with DSD. And for some reason you see everywhere some kind of conspiracy)))
I already explained how I received this firmware from FIIO, and if this explanation doesn’t suit you, do not download or update it.
In Russia, we have a good saying "there are no givers, there are those who badly ask."

Oct 12, 2019 at 2:04 PM Post #2,035 of 3,226
Here in Russia, when they give you firmware for a problem device, they usually say thank you for those who did this firmware really needed to fix the problem with DSD. And for some reason you see everywhere some kind of conspiracy)))
I already explained how I received this firmware from FIIO, and if this explanation doesn’t suit you, do not download or update it.
In Russia, we have a good saying "there are no givers, there are those who badly ask."
Nothing against russia i like you guys. But you peps have to many many many many hackers to trust sry dont take it personal. Even my best friend says dont get it and he is a russian hacker too

Oct 14, 2019 at 12:36 AM Post #2,036 of 3,226
Anyone else completely unable to access the settings for the Q5s through the Fiio app? It just always says "disonnected" for me and I can never access it, even though the player works so clearly the bluetooth connection is fine, but when I click "Fiio BT Control" it just says "disconnected" and won't load the settings page.

Oct 14, 2019 at 12:46 AM Post #2,037 of 3,226
Anyone else completely unable to access the settings for the Q5s through the Fiio app? It just always says "disonnected" for me and I can never access it, even though the player works so clearly the bluetooth connection is fine, but when I click "Fiio BT Control" it just says "disconnected" and won't load the settings page.

Happened to me on the BTR3. If you're on Android, try clearing cache and storage, that fixed it for me.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2019 at 7:06 AM Post #2,038 of 3,226
I get slight background hiss ONLY when I enable Bluetooth as a source. USB has been dead quiet on my JH Audio Roxanne's. Doesn't seem amp based if it happens when you turn on Bluetooth. Maybe something that can be fixed with firmware?

Oct 15, 2019 at 1:55 AM Post #2,039 of 3,226
I totally agree. Guys, you should be glad that somebody gave this to the public because Fiio is unable to do it. Version 0.32 has serious bug when playing DSD and this v0.37 solves this bug. Source is Fiio which sent this fw to @happytorch and because Fiio was not able to publish this fw until now Happytorch gave it to us here.

I was also discussing this problem with Fiio support but they had no sollution for me and in the end I had to tell them the problem is the fw version but they did not send me the correct one. Looks like Fiio ignores our real problems caused by wrong FW until now.

This thing was discussed here some pages ago so plese try to read and you will see. FW from Happytorch is perfect and fully working at least for me. I recommend to anybody with fw 0.32. Fiio probably sent whole initial batch with this wrong fw to the dealers and there is lot of user with fw 0.32 and they don't know it is bad.

Thank you Happytorch you saved me and I am very grateful for it because otherwise I would have to return my Q5s to the dealer within waranty.

Oct 15, 2019 at 4:42 AM Post #2,040 of 3,226
Dear friend,

You were connecting the Q5s to the iphone or Android device?

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back