[FiiO Q5s Type C ‖ Q5s] Bluetooth DSD-capable Amplifier,AK4493x2,768k/32bit
Sep 10, 2019 at 9:00 AM Post #1,831 of 3,226
I will ask here as it's a wealth of knowledge. If I am using my Q5S with a set of desktop speakers would I be best with the line out of the headphone jack on the AM3D?
Whit line out you only use the dac of your source not from the q5s itself

Sep 10, 2019 at 11:08 AM Post #1,832 of 3,226
I will ask here as it's a wealth of knowledge. If I am using my Q5S with a set of desktop speakers would I be best with the line out of the headphone jack on the AM3D?
Use the line out. It's meant to be used like that, with external amplification. It's also a true line out directly from the DAC and is properly set to 2V, unlike many other portable devices. The results are great and on par with many high end standalone DACs. Using the headphone jack to output to speakers would not be ideal, as you will get some (probably negligible) deterioration of the signal due to it passing through 1 more amp in its path, but you will also get whatever coloration both amps produce. Using a headphone amp connected to another amp isn't ideal, using a line out is best.
Whit line out you only use the dac of your source not from the q5s itself
You're confusing line out with line in. If he uses the line out on the Q5s, he will use only the DAC on the Q5s and not the amp portion, then using the external amp with the speakers. What you're saying applies to the line in, where you connect another DAC to the amp (the Q5s in this case) and you bypass the DAC and go straight to the amp.

Sep 10, 2019 at 7:33 PM Post #1,834 of 3,226
I'm reading the ES100 is similar in sound quality to the Q5/Q5s. Anyone verify that?

If you’re in the camp of “all DACs sound the same”, and you‘re not considering the differences in the headphone amp sections, that’s probably true.

Truth be told, when I do a head-to-head comparison of DACs, eliminating the amp variable as much as possible, the differences are usually fairly subtle - but I haven’t done the comparison with the ES100 and Q5s.

Sep 10, 2019 at 7:35 PM Post #1,835 of 3,226
DACs sound very different. Subtle for low end gear, sure. Not at all subtle for someone with good ears. Mine suck and I can still hear massive differences. One thing though, I don't listen to specs, I listen to music if you know what I mean.

I'd be happy to heard your opinions on es100 vs q5s!

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2019 at 9:05 PM Post #1,836 of 3,226
Q5S has an issue with Galaxy S10+. However it works with new galaxy tab S6 beautifully. I use UAPP and Tidal flac/MQA sound so good with AM3D amp module. Given the IO options it provides it is a marvelous device. Q5S/AM3D is very fast, transparent and clear. Though the difference is subtle AM3D has all round performance well worthy of upgrade.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2019 at 12:59 AM Post #1,837 of 3,226
If I remember well @FiiO wrote a note last week here about new firmware release this week. We are waiting for it but now I cannot find the comment. Am I blind or had a halucination or Fiio deleted this comment and there will be NO new firmware? Fiio stays away this thread but very active in other ones. No answers on previous questions, no official comment about DSD problem...

From Fiio's profile : "FiiO's aspiration: to raise the reputation of "Made in China"."

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2019 at 5:14 AM Post #1,838 of 3,226
If I remember well @FiiO wrote a note last week here about new firmware release this week. We are waiting for it but now I cannot find the comment. Am I blind or had a halucination or Fiio deleted this comment and there will be NO new firmware? Fiio stays away this thread but very active in other ones. No answers on previous questions, no official comment about DSD problem...

From Fiio's profile : "FiiO's aspiration: to raise the reputation of "Made in China"."
Dear friend,

We mentioned to you that we will try to release a new firmware for Q5s at about this week. But there will be some delay and the engineer are still improving the stability for new official firmware. We will try to release it soon.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Sep 12, 2019 at 10:12 AM Post #1,840 of 3,226
Dear friend,

We mentioned to you that we will try to release a new firmware for Q5s at about this week. But there will be some delay and the engineer are still improving the stability for new official firmware. We will try to release it soon.

Best regards
Hello Fiio,

Will you next firmware update include some fixes for your Bluetooth implementation? I had run into several occasions now with the stuttering of the audio via the bluetooth connections and had to do the reset operations via inserting and holding the small pin into the reset cavity to recover from the stuttering. These occurrences happened with both the audio source (dap/iphone) and the Q5s stayed next to each other.

If your team can look into this stuttering issue and provide a fix to improve the stability of your bluetooth implementation that would be wonderful and appreciated. So far, I really like your Q5s and the bluetooth 5.0 support.

Also, I have heard that your firmware update process only works with using a Microsoft Windows based computer. Unfortunately, I don't have a Windows computer and use the Mac OS based computer. Can you let me know if you will be able to make it possible to your firmware update process to work with a Mac OS computer as well? This would be a great gesture that Fiio really cares for all their customers, including those who only have a Mac OS computer.

Thank you for listening!

Sep 12, 2019 at 10:34 AM Post #1,841 of 3,226
Hello Fiio,

Will you next firmware update include some fixes for your Bluetooth implementation? I had run into several occasions now with the stuttering of the audio via the bluetooth connections and had to do the reset operations via inserting and holding the small pin into the reset cavity to recover from the stuttering. These occurrences happened with both the audio source (dap/iphone) and the Q5s stayed next to each other.

If your team can look into this stuttering issue and provide a fix to improve the stability of your bluetooth implementation that would be wonderful and appreciated. So far, I really like your Q5s and the bluetooth 5.0 support.

Also, I have heard that your firmware update process only works with using a Microsoft Windows based computer. Unfortunately, I don't have a Windows computer and use the Mac OS based computer. Can you let me know if you will be able to make it possible to your firmware update process to work with a Mac OS computer as well? This would be a great gesture that Fiio really cares for all their customers, including those who only have a Mac OS computer.

Thank you for listening!

Could you have a faulty unit as I’ve been using mine with iPhone via BT absolutely faultlessly since getting it as soon as it came out.

Sep 12, 2019 at 12:47 PM Post #1,843 of 3,226
Android :wink: Sorry, couldn't help myself, but it is a jest. I know Apple fans adore their iPhones and devices to distraction.

Sep 14, 2019 at 7:17 AM Post #1,844 of 3,226
Does anyone know if its safe to use the Q5s while charging it?
When connecting metel iems like TinHifi P1 I feel small electric stings..that can't be a good sign..

With full size isolating headphones I dont get the stings obviously.

But one gotta wonder if its safe.
Maybe Fiio can chime in

Sep 14, 2019 at 7:11 PM Post #1,845 of 3,226
I was writing whit samsung about the problem whit amp dac over usb dont working on new s10 series the say ok we are looking for it today i got a very suspect update it updatet some kernel stuff like it would update apps and now the fiio q5 works over usb lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back