[FiiO Q5s Type C ‖ Q5s] Bluetooth DSD-capable Amplifier,AK4493x2,768k/32bit
May 24, 2019 at 7:28 PM Post #167 of 3,226
@FiiO Do you offer a USB-C to Mirco USB cable in case we want to use this DAC with the new iPad Pros that do not have lightning?
They do.
https://fiio.gr/index.php/product/cl06/
Excuse me for posting from a Greek website, but that was the easiest for me to find. You're gonna have to search for the CL06. It's a bit pricey, but from what little I've seen of it the quality is great and it's really short and right angled, perfect for on the go use. That said, if you want something longer for your iPad, there's a myriad of options on Amazon for micro USB to type C cables. I have 2, which together cost about 10-15€.

May 24, 2019 at 7:44 PM Post #168 of 3,226
They do.
https://fiio.gr/index.php/product/cl06/
Excuse me for posting from a Greek website, but that was the easiest for me to find. You're gonna have to search for the CL06. It's a bit pricey, but from what little I've seen of it the quality is great and it's really short and right angled, perfect for on the go use. That said, if you want something longer for your iPad, there's a myriad of options on Amazon for micro USB to type C cables. I have 2, which together cost about 10-15€.
Sweet. I appreciate it.

May 25, 2019 at 1:34 PM Post #169 of 3,226
I'm curious, how do you use both M11 and Q5/Q5s in your daily life? do you combine them? I'm asking because I try to decide which one I need/want to buy... and read about some examples or experiences with them could make the decision easier... thanks!

I use the Q5 with Onkyo DP-X1A or Onkyo DP-CMX1 or tablet or phone or any other source device as USB DAC on trips or at work or whatever.

I also need a reliable device to play Tidal offline content over Bluetooth in my CAR. Currently, I am using the Onkyo DP-X1A and that has fantastic SQ over Bluetooth.

But since Tidal update 2.11.8 my DP-X1A has been having Bluetooth issues with Tidal. Other music apps work fine. I had to downgrade to Tidal 2.11.7 :astonished:

I am hoping M11 will fix that so I can use the latest Tidal version.

Last edited:
May 26, 2019 at 3:07 AM Post #170 of 3,226
I'm curious, how do you use both M11 and Q5/Q5s in your daily life? do you combine them? I'm asking because I try to decide which one I need/want to buy... and read about some examples or experiences with them could make the decision easier... thanks!

Ideal usage of M11 and Q5/Q5s as following;

1. Older Q5 and M11 - Please connect M11 with Line Out to Q5 Line In mode else you will not able to use M11’s full potential...any other mode will bypass M11’s Internal DAC which you just paid for your hard earned money.

2. Newer Q5s and any other DAP (example X5-2, X5-3) - Please connect any Digital output to Q5s Digital Input such as USB/Optical/Coax/BT so that you can use the full potential of the Q5s Internal DAC which you just paid for you hard earned money.

3. M11 and Q5s - Please Stop ! Don’t Buy both and combined them, you will be wasting your money. If you can’t resist the temptation of the Fiio’s Android offering and changeable Modular Amp ideas, you need wait little bit more for M15 or something which is X7-mk2 upgrade coming later.

May 26, 2019 at 4:59 AM Post #171 of 3,226

1. Older Q5 and M11 - Please connect M11 with Line Out to Q5 Line In mode else you will not able to use M11’s full potential...any other mode will bypass M11’s Internal DAC which you just paid for your hard earned money.

2. Newer Q5s and any other DAP (example X5-2, X5-3) - Please connect any Digital output to Q5s Digital Input such as USB/Optical/Coax/BT so that you can use the full potential of the Q5s Internal DAC which you just paid for you hard earned money.

3. M11 and Q5s - Please Stop ! Don’t Buy both and combined them, you will be wasting your money. If you can’t resist the temptation of the Fiio’s Android offering and changeable Modular Amp ideas, you need wait little bit more for M15 or something which is X7-mk2 upgrade coming later.

So you think M11 offers pretty much the same that Q5s does, right? I’m not an expert at all but I see that M11 is a Q5s plus 32gb bult-in storage and bi-directional bluetooth (which in my opinion is quite useful since in my case I do not have any device able to transmite AptX HD or LDAC signal...)

May 26, 2019 at 5:26 AM Post #172 of 3,226
So you think M11 offers pretty much the same that Q5s does, right? I’m not an expert at all but I see that M11 is a Q5s plus 32gb bult-in storage and bi-directional bluetooth (which in my opinion is quite useful since in my case I do not have any device able to transmite AptX HD or LDAC signal...)

Yes....In my opinion, I am absolutely sure M11 and Q5s offer exactly the same thing in terms of audio as per specification, But that not mean it sound sonically the same because there are other factors involved....again both are not comparable to each other - There is no true M11 vs Q5s because both are targeted for completely different segment audience/buyer....beacuse feature wise they are quite different from each other.

Before investing any of them, users need to decide what his/her usage scenario will be?

Last edited:
May 26, 2019 at 5:54 AM Post #173 of 3,226
Yes....In my opinion, I am absolutely sure M11 and Q5s offer exactly the same thing in terms of audio as per specification, But that not mean it sound sonically the same because there are other factors involved....again both are not comparable to each other - There is no true M11 vs Q5s because both are targeted for completely different segment audience/buyer....beacuse feature wise they are quite different from each other.

Before investing any of them, users need to decide what his/her usage scenario will be?

My problem as a newbie is that I do not have a clear idea about the components needed for a nice set up everywhere. Obviously I want the best audio quality at home and on vacation (let's say lying on a lounger next to a pool without wifi) and I assumed that I could use M11 for offline playback on the go but also connected to my laptop (as a usb dac) or to my speakers (as an amp) at home... but again, I just bought my first Hi-Res headphones (entry-level, ATH-MSR7b) and not sure what the next step should be... :grin:

May 26, 2019 at 6:20 AM Post #174 of 3,226
My problem as a newbie is that I do not have a clear idea about the components needed for a nice set up everywhere. Obviously I want the best audio quality at home and on vacation (let's say lying on a lounger next to a pool without wifi) and I assumed that I could use M11 for offline playback on the go but also connected to my laptop (as a usb dac)

Well, Recommended Device M11

or to my speakers (as an amp) at home...

Assume your speaker is a Powerd Monitor / Active Speaker and If your source device is your Laptop then here also recommended device will be M11 using it's 'Line Out' feature.
Ex : PC ->USB DAC M11 -> LO ->Speaker / Amp.

but again, I just bought my first Hi-Res headphones (entry-level, ATH-MSR7b) and not sure what the next step should be... :grin:

Recommended Device M11

Last edited:
May 26, 2019 at 9:07 AM Post #175 of 3,226

Fiio has stated that their future daps will no longer utilize the interchangeable amp modules. So if this feature is important to you, the Q5S is your only option.

May 26, 2019 at 9:18 AM Post #176 of 3,226
I suspect for their DAPs there will be little need for amp rolling as decent quality amplification components and implementations are getting smaller all the time. That isn't to say that for some the possible sound signature differences that can come with different amp modules aren't valuable, but I suspect FiiO just wants to concentrate on the DAP itself and be less divided between development streams. Hopefully they do retain a product like the Q5/Q5s in their lineup with amp rolling capability. I have the M9 here and the Q5 and I very much enjoy both.

May 26, 2019 at 9:40 AM Post #177 of 3,226
Anybody have a suggestion/source/link for a cable that can go from the analog out of the Q5 that terminates in dual RCA male ends? I want to use the Q5 as my DAC with my stereo. Currently I am using my iFi iOne which is nice and has the added benefit of two RCA outs on the back making it easy to use my existing RCA cables. I am looking for a cable about 6 feet long that will have the single end to take the Q5 analog out and terminate with two RCA male ends to go into my amps input. Thanks for any suggestions.

May 26, 2019 at 11:39 AM Post #178 of 3,226
Anybody have a suggestion/source/link for a cable that can go from the analog out of the Q5 that terminates in dual RCA male ends? I want to use the Q5 as my DAC with my stereo. Currently I am using my iFi iOne which is nice and has the added benefit of two RCA outs on the back making it easy to use my existing RCA cables. I am looking for a cable about 6 feet long that will have the single end to take the Q5 analog out and terminate with two RCA male ends to go into my amps input. Thanks for any suggestions.

I think Amazon Basic Cable will just do the trick - Posting the link below, Sorry for the Amazon India link....I’m sure this available in your region too.

https://www.amazon.in/AmazonBasics-3-5mm-2-Male-Adapter-cable/dp/B01D5H8KO2/ref=sr_1_8?crid=1DQSWEXVVAQIP&keywords=amazon+basic+cable&qid=1558884965&s=gateway&sprefix=Amazon+basic+ca,aps,291&sr=8-8&th=1

Last edited:
May 26, 2019 at 11:45 AM Post #179 of 3,226

Users who are viewing this thread

Back