Fiio Q5
Aug 1, 2018 at 11:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Papa253

100+ Head-Fier
Hello from WA.

I have the Fiio Q5 on the way to me, I'm extremely excited.

I have a ? Regarding the module AM3. My to primary headphones are the, sennheiser wired HD1 and the ATH AD2000X.
Both are low impedance, that being said what module will work best, the above headphones?

Aug 1, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #2 of 9
In my experience, the FiiO AM3A is open sounding with very nice control in the bass region and very clear yet non-agressive treble response.
It's has a very balanced sound signature and should work very well with your headphones. Your preferences can play an important role when it comes to picking a different module. FiiO AM2A for instance is warmer than AM3A and very resolving across the board. AM3A gives you more of a 'reference' type of sound, while AM2A might fall slightly into the 'musical' side of things. Then you have the even more powerful AM5 with its impactful bass and very detailed mids and treble. There are more of them... They all sound very well, so preference plays an important role.
I think AM3A is a great point of reference and likely all you might ever need.

Aug 1, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #3 of 9
In my experience, the FiiO AM3A is open sounding with very nice control in the bass region and very clear yet non-agressive treble response.
It's has a very balanced sound signature and should work very well with your headphones. Your preferences can play an important role when it comes to picking a different module. FiiO AM2A for instance is warmer than AM3A and very resolving across the board. AM3A gives you more of a 'reference' type of sound, while AM2A might fall slightly into the 'musical' side of things. Then you have the even more powerful AM5 with its impactful bass and very detailed mids and treble. There are more of them... They all sound very well, so preference plays an important role.
I think AM3A is a great point of reference and likely all you might ever need.

The am3 is not to much power for the hd1 @18ohms or the ath ad2000x @ 40ohms?

Aug 1, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #4 of 9
The am3 is not to much power for the hd1 @18ohms or the ath ad2000x @ 40ohms?
Nope, it can drive very sensitive headphones great. Just set the Gain switch on your Q5 in the L position (Low), then use the volume control to adjust to your preferred levels.

Aug 1, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #6 of 9
Thank you.

How will it do with the HD600's?

Very well, plenty of extra room for my preferred listening levels. The big soundstage is definitely a plus for HD600.
Keep in mind it's a neutralish combo, if you want u-shaped response then you might prefer a different headphone.
I'm yet to try my HD650 in balanced mode with my AM3A.

Jan 2, 2019 at 3:34 PM Post #8 of 9
I really like the am3a for the soundstage and treble it pushes out on some headphones. I also have both the am5 and am3b. I have both my lcd2c and hd 58x in balanced for 4.4 and I like the warm sound the am3b provides in general so it depends if you want slightly warmer sound or more treble. Also depends of headphones too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back