FiiO Q5, Flagship DAC/Amp, an Dual DAC, USB/Optical/Coaxial/Line in, share the same amp module with X7.
Feb 20, 2018 at 6:02 PM Post #1,351 of 3,173
Received my Q5 a few days ago. Enjoying it for the most part but there's one very annoying feature that's driving me nuts. When used as a USB DAC connected to a computer it regularly turns itself off if there's no active sound playing through it. I suspect this is due to it having a separate USB power connection for power. In contrast, the Q1 MK2 just has one USB connection and will remain charged and functional when connected to a PC. If anyone knows a workaround that'd be helpful.

One other thing I'd like to note, I find the there to be more noise with sensitive IEMs on the Q5 than the Q1 MK2.
Moar power usually means at least a little bit more noise.

Feb 20, 2018 at 8:07 PM Post #1,353 of 3,173
I read all the thread and I couldn't resist :jecklinsmile:
I'm still testing the Q5, so it's too early to write my impressions (first impressions are excellent, though), but I want to ask something that is still not clear:

Desktop usage:
-if I use the microUSB connector on the side and I connect the Q5 to a wall charger (>= 2.0A) and the microUSB on the bottom to the computer, the battery will charge until it's 100% and then the power circuit "bypass" the battery?
Or the battery will continue to stay continuously powered (thus decreasing its life)?
It's a thing that has been discussed in the past, but the answer from FiiO wasn't clear. And I want to be sure that I'm using the Q5 in the best way to preserve its battery lifespan.

Future updates:
-it's not possible to update the Q5 to support LDAC
-it's possible to update the Q5 to support bluetooth 5.0+
-will it be possible to update the Q5 to support aptx hd or it is not supported by the adopted chip?

Q5 aluminum chassis:
-Am I the only one that received his Q5 with (minor) imperfections on the chassis? there are a couple of spots (1-2mm) where it is slightly scratched.

Thanks guys

Mine arrived last Friday. I also noticed a few build quality issues, but all minor. I'm thoroughly enjoying the Q5! And it was worth the wait! Primarily use it in Bluetooth mode.

One thing I have noticed is that while charging the Q5 -- whether powered on or off -- the charging light doesn't stop flashing or turn off to signify the Q5 is fully charged. Haven't yet checked to see what settings are available via iPhone, which I use for work (Android for personal).

e: Quoted wrong Head-fier

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2018 at 1:00 AM Post #1,354 of 3,173
Q5 aluminum chassis:
-Am I the only one that received his Q5 with (minor) imperfections on the chassis? there are a couple of spots (1-2mm) where it is slightly scratched.
Thanks guys

There are no such things on my Q5, build quality is excellent. Besides, I preordered my unit at the official retailer in Europe and it was delivered on 10th Frebruary.

Feb 21, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #1,356 of 3,173
Mine arrived last Friday. I also noticed a few build quality issues, but all minor. I'm thoroughly enjoying the Q5! And it was worth the wait! Primarily use it in Bluetooth mode.

One thing I have noticed is that while charging the Q5 -- whether powered on or off -- the charging light doesn't stop flashing or turn off to signify the Q5 is fully charged. Haven't yet checked to see what settings are available via iPhone, which I use for work (Android for personal).

e: Quoted wrong Head-fier
Maybe it is not fully charged then? It charges very slowly via the port at the bottom. When I put my Q5 into the K5 dock after i have come back home it takes some hours until the light stops flashing. With the port at the side charging is much faster.

Feb 21, 2018 at 6:26 PM Post #1,357 of 3,173
I was thinking of upgrading from my X5II and get the X7II but I feel like getting the Q5 to use with my X5 (I assume you can) is the better choice.

Feb 21, 2018 at 6:36 PM Post #1,358 of 3,173
Maybe it is not fully charged then? It charges very slowly via the port at the bottom. When I put my Q5 into the K5 dock after i have come back home it takes some hours until the light stops flashing. With the port at the side charging is much faster.
That was the problem...used the bottom USB port. Charging using the side port now with 2A charger. What's cool is the option to change the which port will charge or transmit data via the iOS app!

Feb 21, 2018 at 7:31 PM Post #1,359 of 3,173
By the way, I have tried using Q5 with my full Audio System, Speakers, and it sounds amazing! Much better than the on-board audio of a computer, and better than the best dedicated audio cards there are (PCI), in case anybody was wondering :)

This is using it via Line Out :)

Feb 22, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #1,363 of 3,173
Hmmmm... Something's up... It may be my phone
.. but when I'm connected to Bluetooth, I can only change the volume with the phone.... The knob has no effect.... I have an essential ph1 on 8.1 beta... So I admittingly think it may be because of the os... I will update when the official 8.1 comes out
Perhaps I misunderstood you. The volume knob on the Q5 doesn't change the volume on the phone when connected via bluetooth but it changes the volume on the Q5. The bluetooth volume control on the phone will always be controlled independently. I just set mine to max when I was testing it. AptX on my Tmobile LGV30 isn't working correctly though so pairing it to the Q5 sounds like crap. It sounds good paired with my Oneplus 3t.

Feb 22, 2018 at 10:28 AM Post #1,364 of 3,173
Perhaps I misunderstood you. The volume knob on the Q5 doesn't change the volume on the phone when connected via bluetooth but it changes the volume on the Q5. The bluetooth volume control on the phone will always be controlled independently. I just set mine to max when I was testing it. AptX on my Tmobile LGV30 isn't working correctly though so pairing it to the Q5 sounds like crap. It sounds good paired with my Oneplus 3t.

I have aptx working through Bluetooth by adding a magisk module... The problem is the volume isn't that loud...Its decent... In a quiet room, it's plenty... But walking around, a little more volume would be nice...

Feb 22, 2018 at 10:45 AM Post #1,365 of 3,173

Hmm I just reread this... So you ARE saying the knob works in Bluetooth mode.... Mine has no effect on volume... I remember reading a suggestion to keep the phones Bluetooth volume on max and then adjust the q5's knob for volume.... I can't do this with mine...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back