FiiO Q5, Flagship DAC/Amp, an Dual DAC, USB/Optical/Coaxial/Line in, share the same amp module with X7.
Jun 20, 2016 at 12:15 AM Post #481 of 3,173
I'm genuinely curious as to how the Q5 would compare to the Mojo. I would absolutely LOVE to see Fiio topple the Mojo.. I've got no hatred whatsoever for Chord.. But a massive Fiio fan

I feel same way, even though I love my mojo. Plus, only consumer wins of fiio bests the Mojo.

The DAC ability of Q5 will be better than X7.
The same amp, I think Q5 would be better.

Really? Are they the same dacs? Did fiio settle on a dac?

Jun 20, 2016 at 12:57 PM Post #486 of 3,173
James said back in post #56 of this thread that the target price was $300, so unless something has changed...

Oh that's fantastic then, thanks for the correction. If it can at least match the Mojo in terms sonics then it'll be great. I'm not too worried about driving power, my main concern is sonic performance. I wonder if it's even possible to match the Mojo with an off the shelf DAC+amp chip combo, or if the only way would be with an FPGA setup

Jun 20, 2016 at 6:39 PM Post #488 of 3,173
Oh that's fantastic then, thanks for the correction. If it can at least match the Mojo in terms sonics then it'll be great. I'm not too worried about driving power, my main concern is sonic performance. I wonder if it's even possible to match the Mojo with an off the shelf DAC+amp chip combo, or if the only way would be with an FPGA setup

The Mojo is much more than just an FPGA chip to run the code Rob has done. It also uses discrete Pulse Array DACs (that he invented) and the discrete analogue section is very clean with extremely good measured performance, plus the battery used is a custom battery specifically made over three years just for the Mojo that packs 14 watt hours.

I love FiiO, and wish them well, but the implementation of the whole system is much more than just FPGA vs off the shelf DAC chip hardware. Sonically I have no doubt that FiiO will produce a good product with the Q5, as they have with most of their lineup. I'm simply pointing out that the Mojo's advantage is the pedigree it comes from, which is the exact opposite of where FiiO has come from. The trickle down tech of Chords products puts the Mojo in a different class on a technical level.

To be clear, I'm only sharing my knowledge here of what I know of Rob Watts tech (you can read his many informative posts to learn as well). I'm NOT saying one will sound better over the other, no one can at this point.

At the ears each user will have a different opinion and at the end of the day that's what is important. I think it's a waste of time to compare the Q5 on a technical level because it simply won't compete to the Mojo. Let's wait until the Q5 is released and go by sonic impressions. After all, that's what REALLY matters.

Jun 20, 2016 at 7:13 PM Post #489 of 3,173
The Mojo is much more than just an FPGA chip to run the code Rob has done. It also uses discrete Pulse Array DACs (that he invented) and the discrete analogue section is very clean with extremely good measured performance, plus the battery used is a custom battery specifically made over three years just for the Mojo that packs 14 watt hours.

I love FiiO, and wish them well, but the implementation of the whole system is much more than just FPGA vs off the shelf DAC chip hardware. Sonically I have no doubt that FiiO will produce a good product with the Q5, as they have with most of their lineup. I'm simply pointing out that the Mojo's advantage is the pedigree it comes from, which is the exact opposite of where FiiO has come from. The trickle down tech of Chords products puts the Mojo in a different class on a technical level.

To be clear, I'm only sharing my knowledge here of what I know of Rob Watts tech (you can read his many informative posts to learn as well). I'm NOT saying one will sound better over the other, no one can at this point.

At the ears each user will have a different opinion and at the end of the day that's what is important. I think it's a waste of time to compare the Q5 on a technical level because it simply won't compete to the Mojo. Let's wait until the Q5 is released and go by sonic impressions. After all, that's what REALLY matters.

Oh no, I'm well aware of the vast technical differences. I'm just wondering if the sonic performance of the Mojo is purely because of the FPGA (and PA DACs etc, as you pointed out) setup, or if (at least theoretically) Fiio would be able to get the exact same performance with their kind of setup in the Q5...know what I mean?

Jun 20, 2016 at 7:41 PM Post #490 of 3,173
Oh no, I'm well aware of the vast technical differences. I'm just wondering if the sonic performance of the Mojo is purely because of the FPGA (and PA DACs etc, as you pointed out) setup, or if (at least theoretically) Fiio would be able to get the exact same performance with their kind of setup in the Q5...know what I mean?

Yes, I know what you mean. Personally, I don't think so on a performance standpoint (measured performance). Like I said though, sound quality preference is entirely different. :)

Jun 27, 2016 at 2:39 AM Post #494 of 3,173
  I also try to make changes in the A.
based on this and add in a small display, it can display the volume, product status,
then do you think it is necessary?

A with a display would be great (in my opinion) and my first choice.

Yep. Pretty much. A basic OLED display like the one in the E17 would be great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back