FiiO Q5, Flagship DAC/Amp, an Dual DAC, USB/Optical/Coaxial/Line in, share the same amp module with X7.
Oct 17, 2015 at 6:33 PM Post #301 of 3,173
  @JamesFiiO  not many chinese companies are releasing apple MFI certified devices which run straight out of an iPhone or iPod touch. Only one I can really think of is the Oppo Ha2. It would be really cool to be able to run the Q5 straight out of an iPhone with only one cable. Otherwise, only way would be to use a camera connecting kit cable, and that is rather cumbersome.

Apple was saying the other day that one of the largest markets for iPhones is actually China, so the potential market might be quite big for an apple MFI certified amp/dac. Is this something you might consider?

I wonder how Apple's market share even exists in China, considering that iphones are pretty expensive. 

Oct 17, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #303 of 3,173
RedJohn456: I swear Fiio already announced a micro USB -> Lightning cable that does just what you're talking about. If they do, it'll save us iPhone users money and cable overload. Will try to find a link.

Or this when its back in stock. The current price is inaccurate until stock comes in. Regularly around $70 I believe.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?campid=5337413452&toolid=10001&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2FPure-Solid-Silver-Lightning-to-Chord-Hugo-interconnect-cable-Iphone-5-6-%2F171952447720%3Fhash%3Ditem28092a20e8%3Ag%3ArsoAAOSw9r1WCmub

Oct 17, 2015 at 9:37 PM Post #304 of 3,173
  Add LCD + EQ just like E17, Add pre - amp out. then you have a unique product that no one has ever made.

+1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That being said, DIGITAL equalization is a big no-no because DSP degrades sound quality, and this is a product that is striving to get the absolute true hi-fi level of sound.  The type of EQ I'd add would be a three-level selectable bass-boost (neutral, subtly boosted, notably boosted) switch and three-level-selectable treble boost switch ANALOG equalizer switches actually on the physical body of the device itself.  Then, if people WANT a more detailed EQ, add the option of a fifteen-band or so parametric equalizer DSP displayed on a LCD screen which the user can turn on or off if they want it.  But definitely be sure to have the analog EQ switches.  Fiio has had analog bass-boost switches on portable amps in the past, and those are always great to have!  Having one for bass, with several different levels, and one for treble would be even better!

Oct 17, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #305 of 3,173
Or this when its back in stock. The current price is inaccurate until stock comes in. Regularly around $70 I believe.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?campid=5337413452&toolid=10001&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2FPure-Solid-Silver-Lightning-to-Chord-Hugo-interconnect-cable-Iphone-5-6-%2F171952447720%3Fhash%3Ditem28092a20e8%3Ag%3ArsoAAOSw9r1WCmub

Is it only about the wire and not the device itself? I thought only apple mfi certified devices can get direct access to the dac?

Oct 17, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #307 of 3,173
Is it only about the wire and not the device itself? I thought only apple mfi certified devices can get direct access to the dac?

It's supposed to have the mfi chip inside which is why it's so pricey. This is so you do not need the CCK in the chain. I might get one unless FiiO releases one soon-ish.

Oct 17, 2015 at 11:51 PM Post #308 of 3,173
It's supposed to have the mfi chip inside which is why it's so pricey. This is so you do not need the CCK in the chain. I might get one unless FiiO releases one soon-ish.

Just to clarify, mfi chip inside what? cable or device? Sorry for being dense, I can't believe i had it all wrong lol. just making sure I am getting this right.

with the correct cable, you can use any amp/dac with an iPhone? Say you want to use the E17 as a dac, one of these cables is all you need? Here I thought it was all in the device 
redface.gif

Oct 18, 2015 at 12:02 AM Post #309 of 3,173
Just to clarify, mfi chip inside what? cable or device? Sorry for being dense, I can't believe i had it all wrong lol. just making sure I am getting this right.

with the correct cable, you can use any amp/dac with an iPhone? Say you want to use the E17 as a dac, one of these cables is all you need? Here I thought it was all in the device :xf_eek:

Haha, it can get confusing. That cable is supposed to be able to use the Lightning connector from an iDevice to a micro USB input of the Hugo. They accomplish this by putting the mfi chip in one of the ends of the cable, which is what makes the Apple CCK so 'special' for outputting the digital signal from the iDevices. I'm guessing it would work with anything that can accept a digital signal from micro USB. Caveat....... I'm guessing it will work with anything, but I don't know for sure. Don't see why not though.

Edit: To be clear the mfi chip is there to tell the iDevice that it's ok to pass along the digital signal.

Oct 18, 2015 at 12:32 AM Post #310 of 3,173
Haha, it can get confusing. That cable is supposed to be able to use the Lightning connector from an iDevice to a micro USB input of the Hugo. They accomplish this by putting the mfi chip in one of the ends of the cable, which is what makes the Apple CCK so 'special' for outputting the digital signal from the iDevices. I'm guessing it would work with anything that can accept a digital signal from micro USB. Caveat....... I'm guessing it will work with anything, but I don't know for sure. Don't see why not though.

Edit: To be clear the mfi chip is there to tell the iDevice that it's ok to pass along the digital signal.

Sorry to take the thread OT, thanks for explaining, this makes a lot more sense now. Means I might be getting an iPod touch in the future when the Q5 comes out :p

Oct 18, 2015 at 8:05 AM Post #311 of 3,173
Sorry to take the thread OT, thanks for explaining, this makes a lot more sense now. Means I might be getting an iPod touch in the future when the Q5 comes out :p

Would you even need a cable though?
We're talking about an airplay capable device, here.

Oct 18, 2015 at 8:19 AM Post #312 of 3,173
Would you even need a cable though?
We're talking about an airplay capable device, here.

Simply that not everyone wants to connect with a smartphone or otherwise wifi capable device. Different use scenarios.

Oct 18, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #313 of 3,173
popcorn.gif

Oct 19, 2015 at 7:46 AM Post #314 of 3,173
Simply that not everyone wants to connect with a smartphone or otherwise wifi capable device. Different use scenarios.

Oh definitely, I get why that might be the case.
I should have been specific in saying my comment was about using an iPod Touch & the Q5. In that case paying $70 or waiting for FiiO's mfi enabled cable might not be totally necessary. You have connectivity right away.

Oct 19, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #315 of 3,173
I really need this thing if it can put decent power into 150 ohms, I need something portable for my HD700s, sounds like the HA-2 might be a bit weak and there seems to be not many quality, portable options for higher-impedance headphones at decent price levels if you need amp/dac. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back