FiiO Q5, Flagship DAC/Amp, an Dual DAC, USB/Optical/Coaxial/Line in, share the same amp module with X7.
Apr 11, 2019 at 3:59 PM Post #2,911 of 3,173
Apr 12, 2019 at 5:34 AM Post #2,912 of 3,173
I wanted to share my impressions of the Q5 because I recently purchased it.

I'm in no way to be considered an experienced guy, but I have compared the Q5 to the BTR3 and the Mojo Chord.

Functionality wise the Q5 beats them all.
  • The Bluetooth capability is fine
  • It has enough choices for output (balanced is nice)
  • The volume knob is decent with enough precision
  • Input directly via Lightning cable (supplied with the Q5) is cool, too
I had high hopes for the Q5 to remedy two of my main concerns with the BTR3/Mojo combo I already had:
  • The BTR3 has not enough power for high impedance Headphones
  • The BTR3 assaults you with it's high-volume low-quality start-up and shut-down sounds
  • The Mojo alone requires cable connection at all times
  • Both Mojo and BTR3 don't offer a decent volume knob (Mojo has enough levels for precision, but I find the balls cumbersome)

However, I was slightly disappointed with the sound quality combined with my B&W P9 and the CA Andromeda.
The sound was a bit too bright for my liking. With the CA Andromeda on low gain, there was some noticeable hissing. Not as much as with Mojo, but definitely more than with the BTR3, which is dead silent to me.

Long story short; I'm staying with the Mojo/BTR3 combination for now

Apr 15, 2019 at 2:16 AM Post #2,913 of 3,173
I was listening to it again and I have to admit I do like the design and form factor of the device.
It has all the features I want in a portable BT DAC/AMP.

I'm selling my Mojo due to the fact that I converted now to IEM's fully.

My question is this:

Is it worth the risk to keep the Q5 and invest in another module like the AM2A? It has lower OI with around 0.3 as opposed to 1.4 of the AM3A.
Will this make the Q5 a bit smoother and warmer for IEMs with low impedance?

Apr 15, 2019 at 12:35 PM Post #2,914 of 3,173
I was listening to it again and I have to admit I do like the design and form factor of the device.
It has all the features I want in a portable BT DAC/AMP.

I'm selling my Mojo due to the fact that I converted now to IEM's fully.

My question is this:

Is it worth the risk to keep the Q5 and invest in another module like the AM2A? It has lower OI with around 0.3 as opposed to 1.4 of the AM3A.
Will this make the Q5 a bit smoother and warmer for IEMs with low impedance?

I would say yes, but difference isn’t that noticeable. I have both amp modules and I would rather invest in the upcoming AM3D module.

Apr 17, 2019 at 2:52 PM Post #2,915 of 3,173
I went ahead and ordered a AM2A module for the Q5. I swapped it out tonight for a test, which was very easy and convenient. I noticed right away that the colours don't match the housing 100% which is meh. But okay, the Q5 isn't that nicely built. Looks good at first, but doesn't quite feel right and audio-ish, if you know what I mean. A little synthetic.

I think I noticed a difference right off the bat. I tested the module with my Bowers P9 first, just because I head them laying around. The difference was obvious; there is a lot more warmth and oomph compared to the AM3A. Just what I had wanted! Resolution was also there.

Then came the real test; my Andromedas. You know how picky they are.
First note: The AM2A is not exactly black or dead silent. Not like the BTR3 to me, anyway. But still, there is an improvement. The hiss certainly is tolerable and does not interfere with my hearing when music plays. During silent parts in the music, I didn't notice it.

The Andromeda, which I have come to respect very much, have been exceedingly -uncomfortably- clear and detailed with the Q5 and AM3A module. The combination was just too bright!

The AM2A has smoothed that over quite a bit. The sound signature is still brighter and much more detailed than the BTR3 and muuuuuuch brighter and more detailed than the Mojo. There is still a bit too much attack in the cymbals for my liking with the Andromeda, but the detail, soundstage, imaging... it's all improved.

I'm going to continue playing with it further and see if we can get along

Apr 19, 2019 at 5:34 AM Post #2,916 of 3,173
I have been playing around with the Q5 a little bit more and I'd like to share some additional thoughts.

My initial complaints were:

• The Q5 in conjunction with the Andromeda is too bright for my liking
  • Nothing else

y4m66KNBTlN9M8lXXltYfXnedoolFgVQS8a7DLXVR3mRKzxEZE7A2AoAd8usJVMEr2OI_AQ6Yi0_lEwCKOv-53HtmLBaPIrS91UWXIFAVB9Q0WOJF9MS5k2KFpN-K-LvJ4UhGtr4Rj4LEeW-Ue2cq7G-8TfPILwCTZoyn98hRq7CIdcKItWpjfeCtrMPM9YQheVz0iMIk0OtpDKTj3JrG2q7w

The obvious route and why I didn't do it: EQ dat thing

I am not particularly skilled when it comes to utilising Equalizers nor am I inclined to teach myself that skill. It feels like bending the sound too much, when I do it. So no, that was out of the question.

An alternative presents itself: Low pass filter

To my surprise, the companion app to the Q5 (Fiio music app) offers some nifty options. You can flip charging and input USB ports and you can also choose between five low-pass filter modes. I had no idea you could do that.
It was set to: sharp roll-off by default. I started playing some music and went back to the app switching the modes while still listening to music. The changes are very subtle, except for the sharp roll-off. That one stood out and was, to my ears, sharp and edgy sounding. All the others were much more relaxed in the upper highs. So I settled for super-slow roll off.

I am well aware that much of this stuff is highly individual and I am subject to auto-suggestion. But still, the Q5 lets you go A/B very quickly while music plays. You can settle for the mode you prefer, although much of it is just very subtle. You won't change the signature completely.

What did I get in the end?

I am now operating the FiiO Q5 with the AM2A module set to super-slow roll off in low gain mode with Bass boost off. This has bestowed me with highly complex and clear Andromedas without sharp spikes in the highs. The lows are black and dry and pack one hell of a punch. I would not describe the signature as warm, it is still on the clear and analytical side with a multitude of layered details.

A note on hiss:

Even with the AM2A (which is recommended for the use with IEMs) the Andromeda hisses noticeably during quiet sections of music. I am not fully decided if that is going to bother me in the long run or not. But that is, as has been well noted on other occasions, largely the Andromedas fault

Attachments

• _DSC4603.jpg
    936.8 KB · Views: 0
  • _DSC4610.jpg
    760.3 KB · Views: 0
  • _DSC4613.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • image.png
    image.png
    152.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 19, 2019 at 7:26 AM Post #2,917 of 3,173
I am experiencing some bright clicking sound on high hats in specific songs ... It's not the case everywhere, mainly in electronic music.
This is weird, I'm using the unit in bluetooth through my pixel 3, never had this issue before.

Can you guys try this song through apt-x and let me know if you experience it ?

Thanks

Apr 19, 2019 at 7:37 AM Post #2,918 of 3,173
I have been playing around with the Q5 a little bit more and I'd like to share some additional thoughts.

My initial complaints were:

• The Q5 in conjunction with the Andromeda is too bright for my liking
  • Nothing else

y4m66KNBTlN9M8lXXltYfXnedoolFgVQS8a7DLXVR3mRKzxEZE7A2AoAd8usJVMEr2OI_AQ6Yi0_lEwCKOv-53HtmLBaPIrS91UWXIFAVB9Q0WOJF9MS5k2KFpN-K-LvJ4UhGtr4Rj4LEeW-Ue2cq7G-8TfPILwCTZoyn98hRq7CIdcKItWpjfeCtrMPM9YQheVz0iMIk0OtpDKTj3JrG2q7w

The obvious route and why I didn't do it: EQ dat thing

I am not particularly skilled when it comes to utilising Equalizers nor am I inclined to teach myself that skill. It feels like bending the sound too much, when I do it. So no, that was out of the question.

An alternative presents itself: Low pass filter

To my surprise, the companion app to the Q5 (Fiio music app) offers some nifty options. You can flip charging and input USB ports and you can also choose between five low-pass filter modes. I had no idea you could do that.
It was set to: sharp roll-off by default. I started playing some music and went back to the app switching the modes while still listening to music. The changes are very subtle, except for the sharp roll-off. That one stood out and was, to my ears, sharp and edgy sounding. All the others were much more relaxed in the upper highs. So I settled for super-slow roll off.

I am well aware that much of this stuff is highly individual and I am subject to auto-suggestion. But still, the Q5 lets you go A/B very quickly while music plays. You can settle for the mode you prefer, although much of it is just very subtle. You won't change the signature completely.

What did I get in the end?

I am now operating the FiiO Q5 with the AM2A module set to super-slow roll off in low gain mode with Bass boost off. This has bestowed me with highly complex and clear Andromedas without sharp spikes in the highs. The lows are black and dry and pack one hell of a punch. I would not describe the signature as warm, it is still on the clear and analytical side with a multitude of layered details.

A note on hiss:

Even with the AM2A (which is recommended for the use with IEMs) the Andromeda hisses noticeably during quiet sections of music. I am not fully decided if that is going to bother me in the long run or not. But that is, as has been well noted on other occasions, largely the Andromedas fault

Didn't find any obvious differences between low pass filters either. Maybe with your super sensitive IEM's there's more.
Anyways... I just quoted your post to say: nice photos! :)

Apr 24, 2019 at 10:02 PM Post #2,919 of 3,173
Update:

Apr 24, 2019 - Replacement AM3B received. Tested working as intended.

Finally 5 months ordeal ended. Thanks @FiiO for that.

4 months of frustration and pointless back and fro shipments, starting with faulty amp unit.

Nov 28, 2018 - Contacted FiiO and troubleshoot.

Dec 1, 2018 - Send package to FiiO.

Dec 9, 2018 - Package reach local post office.

Multiple PMs, no response.

Dec 17, 2018 - Informed package picked up.

PMs with no response on what’s wrong with unit.

Dec 21, 2018 - PM stating no update from engineering dept.

Moment of silence...

Dec 27, 2018 - FiiO provides explanation (amp unit faulty due to some weird reason) and tracking number.

Jan 15, 2019 - Package collected. However unit mangled as FiiO seem to take the main unit apart then glued back the faux leather backing, leaving messy glue marks. New scratches and dents on the unit.

Jan 17, 2019 - FiiO responded, arrange for shipment back borne by them. However shipment delayed due to clash with Lunar New Year.

Feb 12, 2019 - Send the package back to FiiO.

Feb 20, 2019 - FiiO received and arranged for replacement unit.

Long silence again pushing for update.

Mar 15, 2019 - Replacement unit received but I was away.

Mar 25, 2019 - Reached home and checked the unit. Amp unit incorrect, was send AM3A albeit reminder to send correct AM3B earlier in PM. Send PM with no response. I still give benefit of doubt to @FiiO as he might still be occupied with recent product launch PR.

Apr 27, 2019 at 3:36 PM Post #2,920 of 3,173
Hi Head-Fi'ers

Just bagged myself one of these on eBay for £210 still wrapped, which seemed like too good an offer to pass up.

Using with my Note 9 and BGVP DM6's , and so far I'm loving it

My question to everyone is, what improvements do the various firmwares bring? More importantly do they improve the audio? I'm using mostly connected via USB, but will also use BT from time to time. Do the firmware updates do anything to improve the sound quality over these two options?

Any advice or help you can give me will be much appreciated

Apr 27, 2019 at 6:19 PM Post #2,921 of 3,173
Hi Head-Fi'ers

Just bagged myself one of these on eBay for £210 still wrapped, which seemed like too good an offer to pass up.

Using with my Note 9 and BGVP DM6's , and so far I'm loving it

My question to everyone is, what improvements do the various firmwares bring? More importantly do they improve the audio? I'm using mostly connected via USB, but will also use BT from time to time. Do the firmware updates do anything to improve the sound quality over these two options?

Any advice or help you can give me will be much appreciated
Firmware improves stability. Not only with the device but it's compatibility with other devices. Connecting the device digitally via optical, coax, or USB cable utilizes its internal DAC and yields the best audio. Using the analog 3.5 mm input depends on the source and utilizes the Q5 only as an amplifier. Bluetooth connection is a slight degradation of sound quality for the sake of convenience but nearly imperceptible; especially if listening to compressed tracks such as Apple music, Spotify, YouTube, or common MP3s.

Also utilizing the Fiio music app if opens the ability to change low-pass filters; directly affecting SQ albeit quite subtly.

Apr 27, 2019 at 6:46 PM Post #2,922 of 3,173
Firmware improves stability. Not only with the device but it's compatibility with other devices. Connecting the device digitally via optical, coax, or USB cable utilizes its internal DAC and yields the best audio. Using the analog 3.5 mm input depends on the source and utilizes the Q5 only as an amplifier. Bluetooth connection is a slight degradation of sound quality for the sake of convenience but nearly imperceptible; especially if listening to compressed tracks such as Apple music, Spotify, YouTube, or common MP3s.

Also utilizing the Fiio music app if opens the ability to change low-pass filters; directly affecting SQ albeit quite subtly.

Thanks @K1030

I was aware of the app to change various settings via BT. And of how the other functions work.
So just to clarify, the firmware doesn't alter the audio at all? Either in BT or USB? Just wondered as the best BT connection I get is aptX 16bit 44.1khz. And i have various Sony BT speakers which allow LDAC 24bit 96khz. Is the BT codec the same after update?

Apr 27, 2019 at 9:06 PM Post #2,923 of 3,173
Thanks @K1030

I was aware of the app to change various settings via BT. And of how the other functions work.
So just to clarify, the firmware doesn't alter the audio at all? Either in BT or USB? Just wondered as the best BT connection I get is aptX 16bit 44.1khz. And i have various Sony BT speakers which allow LDAC 24bit 96khz. Is the BT codec the same after update?

The Fiio Q5 does not support LDAC as it's Bluetooth transmitter is not capable of utilizing the coded (I believe). The upcoming Q5s will be LDAC compatible
The firmware updates for the Q5 have not affected sound quality thus far.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back