FiiO Q1MKII- Native DSD Support, XMOS USB DAC chip, DAC AK4452, 20 hours
Aug 22, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #106 of 834
A se headphone into a balance out could be catastrophic? I think someone else said this in a different context but similar.
But balance headphone into se output is possible but I'm not so sure if there is a sustainable reason to do so. With appropriate adapters that VEclan provides.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #107 of 834
A se headphone into a balance out could be catastrophic? I think someone else said this in a different context but similar.
But balance headphone into se output is possible but I'm not so sure if there is a sustainable reason to do so. With appropriate adapters that VEclan provides.

Yeah I did some more research and not a good idea to go SE to balanced through an adapter. Unfortunately my B&W P5S2's have a custom cable connection to the headphone and I am not going to pay for a custom balanced cable for a portable rig. I will live with my Q1 for now.

Here is a good article I found that explains the differences and advantages.
https://www.headphone.com/pages/balanced-headphones-guide

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #108 of 834
Yeah I did some more research and not a good idea to go SE to balanced through an adapter. Unfortunately my B&W P5S2's have a custom cable connection to the headphone and I am not going to pay for a custom balanced cable for a portable rig. I will live with my Q1 for now.

Here is a good article I found that explains the differences and advantages.
https://www.headphone.com/pages/balanced-headphones-guide
Thought this part was interesting:

Balanced-drive delivers a noted increase in audio performance due to the doubling of the amp's voltage slew rate and voltage swing range, a reduction of THD (Total Harmonic Distortion) components and the avoidance of crosstalk due to the elimination of the common ground plane.

The end acoustic result lends an expansive, open-toned quality to the musical presentation with quicker dynamics, more refined detail, tighter low bass and very clearly pronounced mid-ranges.

First part is accurate, second part is pure Marketing fluff and subjective opinion posed as fact. The reduction in cross talk is nearly always inaudible (and same for the lower THD), and the proposed "quicker dynamics ..... etc" is simply the result of not volume matching correctly. They use balanced set-ups in studios where there are longer cable runs, and more likelihood of crosstalk or higher THD becoming an issue. For basic listening on a home system it's simply not needed.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #109 of 834
Thought this part was interesting:

First part is accurate, second part is pure Marketing fluff and subjective opinion posed as fact. The reduction in cross talk is nearly always inaudible (and same for the lower THD), and the proposed "quicker dynamics ..... etc" is simply the result of not volume matching correctly. They use balanced set-ups in studios where there are longer cable runs, and more likelihood of crosstalk or higher THD becoming an issue. For basic listening on a home system it's simply not needed.

It really doesn't define a time period for this article except for referencing starting in 1999. So depending how far back the article is going it may have been more relevant a few years or even a decade or so ago vs today. I know from experience going back to the time I sold audio gear in the late 90's to now audio gear and components are significantly better. I can remember when 1% total harmonic distortion was actually considered good vs what we see today. But yeah I do see your point on some of the article.

Sep 1, 2017 at 9:59 PM Post #113 of 834
Is there any timetable for when this will be available?
+1

Not available anywhere here in the USA, or very many other places in the world, according to Google. Trying to be patient....and I have a Samsung Galaxy and chances are it won't even work with my phone, but the Q1 Mark II sure looks pretty and gets positive reviews....

Holly

Sep 4, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #115 of 834
Is there any timetable for when this will be available?
Dear friend,

If everything goes well, we will send the first batch to some sellers in the middle of this month or so.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Sep 4, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #116 of 834
Support old idevice with 30pin lod, ipod touch, iphone 4/4s?
Would love to know about this as well, As I have a 64GB iPhone 4s my main driver... if not, is it time t upgrade to the iphone SE?
Maybe The V10 is a cheaper choice? I hope Fiio at least test them with popular Smartphones used by enthusiast like these.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2017 at 8:03 PM Post #117 of 834
Would love to know about this as well, As I have a 64GB iPhone 4s my main driver... if not, is it time t upgrade to the iphone SE?
Maybe The V10 is a cheaper choice? I hope Fiio at least test them with popular Smartphones used by audiophiles like these.

Are you talking about the HO port, or the micro-USB port?

Does a 30-pin to micro-USB adapter cable exist (and not just a charge-only adapter)?

Sep 5, 2017 at 12:58 AM Post #119 of 834
Are you talking about the HO port, or the micro-USB port?

Does a 30-pin to micro-USB adapter cable exist (and not just a charge-only adapter)?
Hrm, I have one 30 pin to micro USB adapter that've been working for Data Transfer as well, it looks like a slightly taller 30 plug from Apple with a micro usb port on the bottom.
Now that its out of the way...
For USB DAC use, always use Camera Connection Kit (CCK) original or aftermarket is fine, that outputted to fullsize usb that's then connected to my Q1 works
Using Line Out adapter to Line In port on the Q1/ any other amp also work wonder.
A lot of choice still for 5 YO device...
As long as apps doesnt demand newer firmware than 9.3.5 it tocks for a cheap price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back