FiiO Q1MKII- Native DSD Support, XMOS USB DAC chip, DAC AK4452, 20 hours
Jan 22, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #436 of 834
Thanks for the answer. Looks like no Q1ii or Q5 for me then.

Do all Amp/DAC's that have a USB input, like the Mojo, have the same problem whereby the source powers the Amp/DAC?

Q5 has separate data and power micro usb ports like Mojo. Will report on playing and charging simultaneously when I receive it.

Jan 22, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #437 of 834
The video review is by @Hawaiibadboy who is living in Japan, and if I recall correctly, he got the cable from a Japanese online audio store, and it is indeed terminated so that the DAC is used without draining the source's battery (= no charging).

I saw that and I am not doubting him. His reviews are a big reason why I bought the Q1II and the FH1 IEMs.
I also linked to a review of what appears to be the same Audio Technica cable he used that failed to stop the equipment from charging from the phone it was connected to. Different equipment. I have a S7 Edge, he uses a Note 4 I beleive.
Maybe it matters what equipment is being used?
I had a cable maker tell me it can't be done, and I have found engineers saying it can't be done, but obviously some people have it working for them but not with an S7 that I can find.

Jan 22, 2018 at 8:19 PM Post #438 of 834
The video review is by @Hawaiibadboy who is living in Japan, and if I recall correctly, he got the cable from a Japanese online audio store, and it is indeed terminated so that the DAC is used without draining the source's battery (= no charging).

Yup, got it in Japan online. No idea why it is limited to Japan since the genuine OTG cable market is a worldwide consumer product

Jan 22, 2018 at 8:38 PM Post #439 of 834
20180123_225312.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2018 at 3:28 AM Post #440 of 834
Would anyone be able to compare this to the ifi nano black label? Price is around $100 difference. Strongly considering one of these.

Jan 23, 2018 at 9:31 AM Post #442 of 834

S8 user here.

Bought and tried. No luck with the Samsung usb c to micro b converter. But I've read that the supplied samsung converter isn't OTG compatible. But the larger usb c to usb A is. So hopefully something like this could work
https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/audio...b-to-micro-usb-cable-0-15-m-10156047-pdt.html

Did some rummaging in my cupboards and found a unbranded USB to micro B cable. While rather unsightly it works. No dreaded red light!

20180123_181410.jpg DSC03126.JPG

So the question to whether you can use the Fiio Q1 ii on a Samsung S8 ? Yes.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2018 at 5:56 PM Post #443 of 834
is it a worthy upgrade to the e18? it will be mostly be used with my laptop but i might want to take it on the go sometimes as i did with my beloved e18 ,if not, is anything better at this 100 and under price point(doesnt have to be mobile)

Jan 24, 2018 at 6:09 AM Post #444 of 834
is it a worthy upgrade to the e18?

Dear friend,

If it is possible, you may have a try in the local store first. The Q1MKII also add the balanced output which E18 doesn't not support. :)

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jan 31, 2018 at 5:37 PM Post #445 of 834
I noticed my local dealer advertise a connector called FiiO TC03 for the MII
https://www.mobileztore.se/product.html/fio-tc03-for-q1-mark-ii-samsung-kompatibel?category_id=9
I have not seen this one mentioned before

Seeing an Aliexpress store selling the "Fiio TC03" I ordered it three weeks back and it just arrived. Packaging has zero indication of it being a Fiio product, and since then the store has changed the page so it no longer says it's a Fiio product. The page also falsely implied it would stop power transfer, although I will admit it's not transferring as quickly as my other cable does. It's a sturdy looking cable, but sadly didn't accomplish what more than a few of us are looking for. Perhaps a simpler solution would be a battery case so I'd have juice to spare.

Feb 1, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #448 of 834
Anyone using custom / third-party micro USB to Lighting cables? If so, can you point me in the right direction? There's a few options on eBay, but not sure of compatibility (I have messages out to the sellers):

First one is confirmed to work with newest iPhone a and iOS. Second one does not work with newest iPhones. No word from third seller.

It also looks like Forza AudioWorks makes a micro USB / LOD cable, so that’s another good option.
I previously said above that the cable from the first link would work, but I just received mine and it doesn't work. iPhone 8+ with Q1M2. I've contacted the seller (good guy) to see if there's anything amiss because he did confirm the cable would recognize the iPhone 8, but it's likely I'll have to return it. Thus, Forza Audioworks (@Matez) is kind of my only hope, but they're saying they don't have the LOD cable available and don't know when they would. *Sad trombone*

Forza does have other LOD options, but none that allow me to select a micro USB. That said, I have an email out to them. My whole thing with this is to find a replacement/upgrade if the supplied Lightning to micro USB cable from FiiO goes kaput.

EDIT: Seller on eBay confirmed his cable didn’t have the CCK chip (d’oh). Miscommunication on both our parts, I think. Hopefully he can make me one with it but not sure. Waiting for response.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2018 at 8:07 PM Post #449 of 834
Hey, do you use your Q1ii for gaming as well?

If so, how do you find it? Especially with your PC37x.
Following up on this. I tried gaming with the Q1 M2. Played PUBG. Perfectly acceptable but doesn’t compare to a dedicated gaming sound card, IMO. Spatial cues are accurate but just not as clear and present. It’s a good option for a gaming laptop (which I don’t have).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back