1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

FiiO Q1MKII-Apple MFi Certified DAC & Amp, Native DSD Support, XMOS USB DAC chip, DAC AK4452, 20 hours

Discussion in 'Portable Headphone Amps' started by FiiO, Jul 15, 2017.
First

Back
1 2 3 4 5
7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Next

Last
  1. Ynot1
    Accessport.

2. Slater
    Agreed. But it sure boosted sales of the overpriced AirPods. What better way to get people to buy your new product then to back them in a corner and force them to?

3. Ynot1
    1 step back,
    1 step forward no camera kit needed,
    1 step forward no more guessing if camera kit needs a powered hub.

4. fish1050
    I think people are pointing out that the Q1MKII is sub-par for their needs because they are the only needs that are important to them. For you the Q1 MKII is an upgrade but for others like myself who have different needs it isn't. Great little DAC/Amp but if you are one of the many that don't have and can't afford to upgrade to balanced headphones then it is a different story. I was hoping it would be a nice little upgrade for me because I prefer the design to the Q1 but it is not.

5. fish1050

Apple can have their proprietary nonsense products, I will never get suck into overpaying for it.

6. fourrobert13
    It's two people saying it's sub-par. I don't own anything balanced, nor do I intend to unless the stop making single ended equipment. The only thing that can be considered an upgrade on this is the fact that it offers a balanced out. The rest of the specs speak for themselves. If you look at graphs for balanced out, there is really no audible difference between it and single ended. Balance out offers more power and that's about it. Brooko posted a graph either in the X5III or X7II thread that showed no difference at all that I could tell. I like his test because it shows when balanced and single ended are volume matched, they'll sound the same. I still don't think this device is sub-par. It just doesn't offer what perhaps you, and the other guy wants. If that's the case, then move on to something that does work for you instead of putting the device down because it might meet the needs of someone on a budget. I personally don't need this and I probably won't get it, but FiiO does make pretty decent portable amps/DACs whether it meets your needs or not.

Hariz Nordin likes this.
  7. fish1050
    Okey it has balanced output but single ended is still on 75 mW in 32 ohms so not really powerful enough for a single ended amp. So if I want to go balanced with my headphones I have to invest in a custom balanced cable. My worry with a custom cable like that is how rugged will it be for portable use compared to a single ended cable. Having to also invest in a custom balanced cable along with the cost of the Q1 MK-II just to get the power I already have in the Q1. So it is hard for me to justify this as a worthwhile upgrade over the Q1. That is the only point I am making, that the MK-II for many like me is not an upgrade if you need a portable DAC/Amp.

As far as only two people saying it is subpar so far this isn't exactly a high traffic thread at this point and no one actually has the MK-II who has given an honest assessment of it. So the negative comments are only based on the available information. I noticed there are two other Q1-MkII threads that have been started including one for the testing tour that is empty so far. It would be nice to get all 3 into one thread.

One question I have is if I use the MK-II as my computer DAC/Amp how do I get the max power out of it? I already have a 200 mW DAC/Amp for my computer I would like to upgrade but if I can only get a max of 75 mW into 32 ohms what is the point?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  8. Brooko Contributor
    OK - while I can respect that this product is not obviously for you - then why stay on the thread? (genuine question!)

And while you may not like Apple products - others do. Personally I've tried both Android and Apple - and I find Apple far superior. My wife prefers Android. I don't put her down or discount her opinion for her preferences. That would be extremely self-centered and boorish. I run Linux at home (prefer it to Windows) so I;m not stuck on the proprietary vs non issue either. I use what is best for me.

And I get you think it is under-powered. That is a valid opinion - but it becomes something else when you appear on a thread and repeatedly state the devices downfalls when you have no intention of buying it. Now consider the following ......

I own an iPhone SE, and at some stage it will probably be upgraded to a 7 or an 8, and at that point the jack may disappear. I personally like using my iPhone as a music device. it is linear, easy to use, dead silent, can stream without issues, and is always with me. So in my position for portable use, especially if its compatible with the iPhone and doubles down as DAC for that device (it will have better audio hardware). So ideal for portable use (who needs the extra power for IEMs?) and at 200 mW into 32 ohm balanced, should be able to drive anything up to 150 ohm if the sensitivity isn't an issue. It adds a potentiometer rather than having to use the iPhones crappy stepped volume control, and for my lap-top, will provide a better DAC for when I'm travelling. With the 20hr battery life - it will also be an ideal for for an X1 or X3 for extending battery life.

Different situations. Different choices. I have an interest which is why I'm non the thread. I would prefer not to have someone coming on here with zero interest constantly making noise - when they haven't tried it and have no intention of doing so.

9. fish1050
    As

The reason I am still here is while so far this does not look like an option for me there is no actual user feedback on this item. I don't like to close the door on any product until actual feedback is posted in case something has been missed about the Q1-MKII. Clearly Fiio follows these threads and I think they need to hear from users who are both positive and negative on what they are producing. I really like Fiio and many of their previous products which I have and do own. But my desire for their products is waning based on recently released products. I don't think it does any good if they only see posts gushing about their products without a counterpoint on what some loyal customers like myself feel are negative aspects of their products.

10. Brooko Contributor
    If you read back through the thread, there are not people "gushing" as non-one actually has one to try yet. FiiO has published the specs - and its in production, so its not going to change. Therefore (at least IMO anyway) rather than take this thread off topic, wouldn't it be better to contact FiiO directly, state what your needs are , and ask them what product they would recommend?

Just seems to make more sense than complaining about a product with finalised specs which probably won't suit your needs, and you won't be buying anyway.

11. fish1050
    What you call complaining I called healthy feedback from a current Fiio customer. I am holding out hope that Fiio might produce a Q1 variant of the current design without the balanced output and better power for single ended headphone users like me. Since Fiio has indicated the Q1 will remain in production alongside the MKII. While I am happy with the Q1 overall I much prefer the flat design of the MK-II vs the flask design of the Q1. I am looking for a new computer DAC/Amp to replace a glitchy E07K so the MKII is being looked at for two possible uses. I was hoping to replace my E07K with my Q1 and replace my Q1 with the MKII for portable use. Perhaps the opposite might be better and the MKII become my computer DAC/Amp. While the specs are listed I am still not clear how the MKII will function as a computer DAC/Amp as it is geared toward Apple products.

Having sold audio gear one thing I know is that specs never tell the whole story. Usability and actual hands on functionality evaluation can only be provided by real users and so far there are none. So I plan to keep monitoring this thread until solid user feedback is made available and I can officially decide if the MKII will work for me as computer DAC/Amp. See I am going out of my way to try and remain a Fiio customer when I could easily throw up my hands and look elsewhere. I continue to also follow the X3-III thread in the hopes it could be my next DAP as well as the specs posted look quite promising. But again you can't replace actual hands on testing with specs alone.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  12. Brooko Contributor
    Cool - I guess I'm just stating that constant negative feedback over something which nobody has real world experience with at the moment isn't (IMO) healthy. Its like complaining that your new Mini doesn't have a tow-bar - so how the heck is it supposed to pull my trailer? (hint - it's not supposed to). The specs do tell you what you can expect. Now lets wait for the real-world experience :)

13. Ynot1
    I heard someone say the balance output improves sound stage. Could someone use the graph to point me in the right direction, cause I simply can not find how a graph can measure that.

My thought is soundstage variations are caused by time variant behaviors of amps, memory in the channel like going through a cave, and I think dsp works on time invariant signals and systems. And I believe dft was used to make the graphs.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  14. fourrobert13
    See @Brooko graph and comments below. Quotes taken from his post in the X7II thread regarding balanced out.

Then he also stated the following regarding balanced out:

"What the gear won't pick up is things like cross talk - but the numbers are so low you shouldn't hear a difference anyway. There are times when balanced will help though. I'd thinking of getting a balanced cable connection for my HD800S and HD600. Both will be able to take advantage of the extra power output. So there are definite advantages - just depends on situation."

hope this helps you out.

Ynot1 likes this.
  15. Ynot1
    The question also is will this amp improve soundstage in the balance mode versus se. Hopefully someone listening to the amp can do an objective comparison.

First

Back
1 2 3 4 5
7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Next

Last