FiiO Q1MKII- Native DSD Support, XMOS USB DAC chip, DAC AK4452, 20 hours
May 2, 2018 at 3:59 PM Post #587 of 834
Reading a lot of messages here it's still unclear to me if this Q1 MK2 is able to drive a Senn HD600 well in balanced mode?
Single ended it's a no go but how about balanced? Happy owners here with this combo?

Also the specs which state the recommended max headphone imp is 150 Ohm doesn't make me hopefull.

May 2, 2018 at 4:29 PM Post #588 of 834
Reading a lot of messages here it's still unclear to me if this Q1 MK2 is able to drive a Senn HD600 well in balanced mode?
Single ended it's a no go but how about balanced? Happy owners here with this combo?

Also the specs which state the recommended max headphone imp is 150 Ohm doesn't make me hopefull.

My guess would be no, but I don't have HD600. I guess no because it is just right for HE-400i in balanced (and not quite powerful enough IMO single-ended), and the HE-400i is 36Ohms/93db.

May 2, 2018 at 4:43 PM Post #589 of 834
My guess would be no, but I don't have HD600. I guess no because it is just right for HE-400i in balanced (and not quite powerful enough IMO single-ended), and the HE-400i is 36Ohms/93db.

Agreed, the AMP section in the Q1ii is the weakest part of the whole package. I really wish more was done to give us a stronger output. I know FiiO probably envisioned the Q1ii being used with IEMs and low impedance headphones only but honestly I don't think it would have taken much to incorporate a stronger AMP section. Or even stick with the one from the original Q1.

May 2, 2018 at 4:56 PM Post #590 of 834
Balanced out for Q1mkii is stronger than Q1 output at 220mW vs 190mW. But yes single ended the Q1 is higher than Q1mkii. For stronger, and one I'm tempted to try, there's the Q5. But yeah, for a $100 dac/amp with DSD and balanced output, it already does more than I would have expected.

May 2, 2018 at 9:48 PM Post #591 of 834

Well rather than guessing, lets take a look at the math. The HD600 is 300 ohm and 102 dB SPL/V. If I put those numbers into this calculator - http://www.digizoid.com/headphones-power.html

upload_2018-5-3_13-31-37.png

Then I get the above table. Bear in mind that 85dB might be "safe" but for me its pretty loud. The Q1ii will put 45 mW into a 300 ohm load at 7.4 Vp-p (2.6 Vrms) and up to 150 mA peak current. So it will easily drive them beyond 110 dB peaks.

In real world terms, I have a balanced HD800S (300 ohm at same 102 dB SPL/V), so figures above are the same. I'm currently listening to the Q1ii connected to my iPhone SE playing a David Elias DSD (which is pretty well recorded - so reasonable dynamic range). At halfway on the pot (high gain) its hitting 75-80 dB peaks - and for me I wouldn't want to go too much louder. If I switch to full power on the pot its hitting 90dB.

If I use more modern less dynamic recordings - eg Jocelyn & Chris Arndt "Where's the rain" (if you want a real treat, look them up), its well over 100dB and too loud for me to wear.

So can it drive the HD600 (balanced) - yes, and in fact for most music does a pretty decent job. But if you arte specifically looking to drive that headphone with a DAC/amp, I'd personally opt for the Q5. More money - but worth it.

May 2, 2018 at 9:50 PM Post #592 of 834

That has more to do with the low sensitivity of the HE-400i. You have to take both sensitivity and impedance into account. The HE400i needs lower voltage, but considerably higher current.

May 2, 2018 at 10:43 PM Post #593 of 834
That has more to do with the low sensitivity of the HE-400i. You have to take both sensitivity and impedance into account. The HE400i needs lower voltage, but considerably higher current.

Good to know, thanks! I've been eyeing some HD600s myself.

Last edited:
May 6, 2018 at 1:39 AM Post #594 of 834
Hi, I have a problem with my Q1 Mk2 where I have to restart my Windows PC everytime when I turn it on, if not there is no sound. Windows detect the Q1 Mk2 but refuses to playback any sound. I have it set to 32bit 96kHz, but the Fiio control panel displays 44100Hz. Anyone has a fix for this? It's quite troublesome having to restart eveytime I turn on the DAC.

May 6, 2018 at 2:03 AM Post #595 of 834
Hi, I have a problem with my Q1 Mk2 where I have to restart my Windows PC everytime when I turn it on, if not there is no sound. Windows detect the Q1 Mk2 but refuses to playback any sound. I have it set to 32bit 96kHz, but the Fiio control panel displays 44100Hz. Anyone has a fix for this? It's quite troublesome having to restart eveytime I turn on the DAC.
Instead of restating the PC have you tried unplugging and plugging the usb to the q1 mk2?

May 6, 2018 at 2:08 AM Post #596 of 834
Yup, I have tried reconnecting and also re-enabling the device under sound settings. Tried reinstalling the driver and changing the playback format to 16/44.1 but doesnt seem to work either. It seems like the audio gets "stuck". Any audio media I try just doesnt play itself.

May 6, 2018 at 2:18 AM Post #597 of 834
Yup, I have tried reconnecting and also re-enabling the device under sound settings. Tried reinstalling the driver and changing the playback format to 16/44.1 but doesnt seem to work either. It seems like the audio gets "stuck". Any audio media I try just doesnt play itself.
Sorry i dont know what else could be the root of the problem.

May 6, 2018 at 7:54 AM Post #598 of 834
Which version of Windows is it? I suppose you have already been in the 'Playback devices' menu (right click on the speaker by the clock) after turning it on and made it the default playback device?

As for the Fiio Control Panel, I wouldn't worry too much about it, as it seems to me that it only matters when using a certain driver (forgot the name), but that's not related to the default sound mixer.

It also depends what software you're using to play your music, as some might be able to play directly on the DAC (using the WASAPI driver). For best sound quality, you should try to allow your player to get exclusive control of the DAC, so that you bypass the windows sound mixer and allow your player to automatically adjust definition and sample rate, and passing the decoded sound directly to the DAC without any manipulation.

May 6, 2018 at 8:07 AM Post #599 of 834
Which version of Windows is it? I suppose you have already been in the 'Playback devices' menu (right click on the speaker by the clock) after turning it on and made it the default playback device?

As for the Fiio Control Panel, I wouldn't worry too much about it, as it seems to me that it only matters when using a certain driver (forgot the name), but that's not related to the default sound mixer.

It also depends what software you're using to play your music, as some might be able to play directly on the DAC (using the WASAPI driver). For best sound quality, you should try to allow your player to get exclusive control of the DAC, so that you bypass the windows sound mixer and allow your player to automatically adjust definition and sample rate, and passing the decoded sound directly to the DAC without any manipulation.

I'm using Windows 10 for my PC. Yup, I've tried messing around in the playback devices menu but still no luck. I did try connecting the Q1 Mk2 to a different USB port, and the problem seemed to have corrected itself for a while, but unfortunately it came back again.

As for the issue, it is system wide; its like the audio can't get through the dac at all. Everything is just "jammed", anything with audio doesnt play. Even foobar with WASAPI doesnt play. When I try to change the audio format in playback devices, it says that the device is in used, but I just dont know by what.

Anyways, I've just uninstalled the Fiio control panel and the drivers from the programs menu, and it so far it seems to be working OK (fingers crossed). Looks like it actually removed the fiio control panel but not the usb dac drivers. I'll test it a little while and hope it working fine now.

May 6, 2018 at 8:20 AM Post #600 of 834
Anyways, I've just uninstalled the Fiio control panel and the drivers from the programs menu, and it so far it seems to be working OK (fingers crossed). Looks like it actually removed the fiio control panel but not the usb dac drivers. I'll test it a little while and hope it working fine now.
If you remove the drivers, Windows can still use it, but as a basic sound device, so you can't use WASAPI and can't use it to its fullest capabilities (i.e. I think you can't use it with a sample rate higher than 48kHz).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back