FiiO Mont Blanc/E12 portable headphone amp, 880mW, slim design, full metal case. Bass boost and Cross feed!
Apr 14, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #1,846 of 3,739
Quote:
Quote:
I might buy an E12. I live in the USA and I would prefer the vendor to accept payment through PayPal. Does anyone have suggestions?

People have been asking for a FiiO E12 versus JDS Labs C5 comparison and I guess I'm the only one who owns a C5 and is interested in it (or vice-versa). XD

I see E12s on ebay, but all are shipping from China and are all over $140. You're better off just ordering one from Amazon for that price. It will ship quicker plus you have the Amazon guarantee.

Or you can just buy one directly from a distributor like Micca on their website for $130, I think.

Hm, maybe I'll buy it from Micca then. Amazon's return policy is nice but I don't have a credit card and another audio purchase will upset the parents. >.>

Okay I just made my purchase from Micca. I selected economy shipping so it'll be a while before I actually receive the unit. My wallet is going to kill me...

I can always sell it to people here on Head-Fi too if I need to.

Apr 14, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #1,847 of 3,739
Quote:

The Objective mafia drive me nuts. too.
angry_face.gif

That's why I try and avoid the Sound Science Fiction Forum.
Too many outsized egos.

Basically, to avoid clipping, you need enough voltage AND enough current.
As you know, Power = Voltage X Current.

If you don't have enough current, then lots of voltage won't help you.
OTOH
If you don't have enough voltage, then lots of current won't help you either.
It's like asking do I need more horsepower or more torque.
Answer, it depends.

relatively speaking:
For low impedance headphones, a bit more current and a bit less voltage.
For high impedance headphones, a bit more voltage .and a bit less current is necessary.

And that's what I like about the E12, enough power for just about any headphone if you exclude Planars.
But then who would use a Planar 'phone with a $125 amp?

1. Propellorhead warning:
http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-impedance

Man you really are trying to get me lynched by the Objective Inquisitors aren't you? :)

There are those out there who have lost sight that science is just a metric.  In much the same way that the metric of a kilometer will tell you the distance from a to b quite accurately, but give you no information on what is there along the way, Objectivism misses the whole point of audio. Even the one who shall not be named does not go as far as his rabid offspring.

Anyhow. I drive Yamaha YH-3 and Fostex T20RP's of the E11, and quite well at that. That is one of the things I am looking at in the 12 vs C&C race (and don't tell me to buy both, I need to move into a place with more space as it is, and it would cut into my tyre budget for the 12 bicycles on hand).

Apr 14, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #1,848 of 3,739
I just purchased the HD598 and was listening with plenty of volume from my 2009 MacBook and using Mog music service. I ordered the Fill0 e11 for them but before the Amp arrived I decided to order a refurbished HD650. So far I will return the HD 598 it was light  and comfortable but my un amped A900x was sounding a bit richer and fuller. So know I want to Amp or Amp/Dac the HD650  since I get so much volume out of my Mac book for the A900x as well as the HD 598 do you feel the E11 will be enough. Some how I'm wanting a portable amp because my Samsung 3 could use a little more push. My main concern is for the HD650 right now should I get the E11, E12, E07k/e9 combo. I noticed on some sites it said the E11 powers up to 300ohms and on others it said 150 ohms. Some say a portable is not good enough but it would be nice if it is possible for easy movement. Please let me know your thoughts of course an expensive tube amp will sound best, but how close can I get with the E11 or E12 to keep portable and simple if at all possible. Thanks for any help.

Apr 14, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #1,849 of 3,739
Quote:
I just purchased the HD598 and was listening with plenty of volume from my 2009 MacBook and using Mog music service. I ordered the Fill0 e11 for them but before the Amp arrived I decided to order a refurbished HD650. So far I will return the HD 598 it was light  and comfortable but my un amped A900x was sounding a bit richer and fuller. So know I want to Amp or Amp/Dac the HD650  since I get so much volume out of my Mac book for the A900x as well as the HD 598 do you feel the E11 will be enough. Some how I'm wanting a portable amp because my Samsung 3 could use a little more push. My main concern is for the HD650 right now should I get the E11, E12, E07k/e9 combo. I noticed on some sites it said the E11 powers up to 300ohms and on others it said 150 ohms. Some say a portable is not good enough but it would be nice if it is possible for easy movement. Please let me know your thoughts of course an expensive tube amp will sound best, but how close can I get with the E11 or E12 to keep portable and simple if at all possible. Thanks for any help.

Specs for E11 says up to 150 ohms
http://www.fiio.com.cn/products/index.aspx?ID=100000038781911&MenuID=105026001

Specs for E12 says up to 300 ohms
http://www.fiio.com.cn/products/index.aspx?ID=100000038732625&MenuID=105026001

Apr 14, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #1,850 of 3,739
Apr 14, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #1,851 of 3,739
Quote:
Thanks yes the Fii0 site does say that but I guess some of the store sites have it mixed. Does anyone have some experience with the E12 or 11 with the HD 650  that they would like to share?

I only have experience with the E17 (has the same amp as E11) and currently the E12... with only the Q701s, however. I find the E12 to have plenty of power to drive them but not with the E17.
It's not the E11, so take this with a grain of salt

Apr 15, 2013 at 12:31 AM Post #1,852 of 3,739

Saying "up to X Ohms" is kinda misleading, that's like saying a car is faster because it can drive further. Basically, the E12 has like 3x the power of the E11, the E11 is about as powerful as the E17 and probably the C&C BN (but I bet the BN is at the bottom of the food chain among these three, but apparently it is a well-implemented design that sounds good... but the E12 will be a step up).

Apr 15, 2013 at 12:44 AM Post #1,853 of 3,739
Quote:
Saying "up to X Ohms" is kinda misleading, that's like saying a car is faster because it can drive further. Basically, the E12 has like 3x the power of the E11, the E11 is about as powerful as the E17 and probably the C&C BN (but I bet the BN is at the bottom of the food chain among these three, but apparently it is a well-implemented design that sounds good... but the E12 will be a step up).

Thanks for clearing that up for him. Trying to help the best I can...

Apr 15, 2013 at 1:36 AM Post #1,855 of 3,739
No way their battery lasted a week unless they were only using it in an hour a day. I've charged mine up and run it down in about 9 hours.

Apr 15, 2013 at 7:43 AM Post #1,856 of 3,739
Apr 15, 2013 at 7:47 AM Post #1,857 of 3,739
Man you really are trying to get me lynched by the Objective Inquisitors aren't you? :)

There are those out there who have lost sight that science is just a metric.  In much the same way that the metric of a kilometer will tell you the distance from a to b quite accurately, but give you no information on what is there along the way, Objectivism misses the whole point of audio. Even the one who shall not be named does not go as far as his rabid offspring.

Anyhow. I drive Yamaha YH-3 and Fostex T20RP's of the E11, and quite well at that. That is one of the things I am looking at in the 12 vs C&C race (and don't tell me to buy both, I need to move into a place with more space as it is, and it would cut into my tyre budget for the 12 bicycles on hand).

You can name NWAVGuy in Head Fi.
But I wouldn't go so far as to post a link to any website he may have!

I used to participate in the Science Forum but just got sick of all the endless posturing and semantics and over inflated psuedo-scientific egos. :rolleyes:

Apr 15, 2013 at 8:01 AM Post #1,858 of 3,739
Yes yes we all know you love to mock the objetivists.

The E12 is $125? Amazon has it going for $140, and the MSRP says $199. *confused*
The MSRP(what FiiO suggests) i would remember to be $129

But they let their agents choose official price.

Supply, demand, and capitalizing on the product raises prices

The $199 msrp is b s.

Apr 15, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #1,859 of 3,739
Quote:
You can name NWAVGuy in Head Fi.
But I wouldn't go so far as to post a link to any website he may have!

I used to participate in the Science Forum but just got sick of all the endless posturing and semantics and over inflated psuedo-scientific egos.
rolleyes.gif

Thanks to the internet any Red Bull infused Dorito's addict can google his way to a pseudo PhD in physics. How did we ever get along without these people in the past?

I'm interested in Miceblue's head to head with the C5 vs E12 comparison.

Apr 15, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #1,860 of 3,739
Decided to ship the E12 back to Amazon. To me, the E12 is a very good amp with only certain types of phones (analytical, neutral, even more tipped to treble). With bassy (not over-bassy), warm phones, the E12 just makes things warm and almost sounds veiled. This is not a criticism, but just my view. I had the Arrow 4G, and it had a nifty treble boost (2 levels). Of course, the Arrow costs $299 new, so not a fair comparison. I was choosing here between the E12 and the C&C BH ($99) and with my gear, the C&C came out on top over the E12. And I love the C&C BH's SF control.

I guess you could use EQ to bring more sparkle to the E12 with warm phones, but I don't use EQ with my sources (iPod Classic mainly via LOD).

This is interesting... I found the E12 added more sparkle to my HD650 than my Voyager... Certainly not more veiled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back