FiiO Mont Blanc/E12 portable headphone amp, 880mW, slim design, full metal case. Bass boost and Cross feed!
Apr 2, 2013 at 3:37 AM Post #1,742 of 3,739
what do you guys use for charging the E12 to a wall outlet? i use that old apple usb wall charger and it makes the E12 really hot, i hope i didn't destroy it.

also, any other usb cables work for charging? i tried it once with my SGS2 cable and it didnt charge, red light only stays lit and the E12 is not full

Apr 2, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #1,745 of 3,739
Long time reader, first time poster:

Just purchased one at miccastore.com on Monday, and it will arrive Thursday.  I've been using an E11 for the past few months and decided to switch over to the e12.  Really hope the e12 is a true "upgrade" from the e11 when using my V-moda M100 with ipod touch 4g / iphone 5.

Apr 2, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #1,746 of 3,739
Mine is on its way to me and should be here tomorrow!

I'm excited to see it "in the metal" - I just hope it sounds good with my HD25s as that's what it'll mostly be used with while travelling.

Apr 2, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #1,747 of 3,739
I got mine today from miccastore, I'll be using it as my desktop and headstage arrow alternative

Apr 2, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #1,748 of 3,739
Quote:
I charge mine with my iPad charger. Seems like my unit is still doing all right. FiiO even pretty much says, "Use an iPod or iPad charger", though I suspect any USB adapter charger would work.

I was using my various USB chargers (ie for Samsung Galaxy S2), and it seemed to take a while to charge. I then tried using my Samsung Tab2 charger, and the red light pulses much more quickly and it charges quickest. I hope that's OK!

Apr 2, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #1,750 of 3,739
Quote:
Does anybody know if the price on the E12 is expected to drop?

I seriously doubt FiiO can afford to sell it for less!

Apr 2, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #1,753 of 3,739
Quote:
I charge mine with my iPad charger. Seems like my unit is still doing all right. FiiO even pretty much says, "Use an iPod or iPad charger", though I suspect any USB adapter charger would work.

Quote:
Probably a 5V-2A output wall wart like the iPad charger (5.1V and 2.1A output) is the best, safest and fastest way to recharge the batteries of the E12.

any idea what are the specs of the old ipod charger? the big one. im using that one but it gets nasty hot after an hour or two so i need to open my pc just to charge the E12 haha

Apr 3, 2013 at 1:31 AM Post #1,754 of 3,739
There is no set price for the devices. FiiO allows sellers to sell at whatever price. Obviously competition and fairness keeps everyone in the same region within approx 5% of each other.

If we follow current data on FiiO units and their prices from authorized dealers

Then we can conclude that

It takes around 2-3 years before a device's un-official aurhtoized price drops 10-20% of the recommended price from FiiO(as we can see from E10 Olympus and E7).

However, 1-2 year old units and older already very cheap units(E11, E6, E17) more or less do not drop much in their price.

So whilst there is flux of 5% drops maybe in the first year, the price is generally very steady until that device becomes what seems to be a legacy series(E7, E10) as I call them.

Warning: These are just what I have personally observed and reflect nothing. Just opinion and personal analyzation. This data is also not very reliable as FiiO hasn't been around for too long.

Apr 3, 2013 at 8:06 AM Post #1,755 of 3,739
I just received the amp and have let it get up to room temperature before giving it a whirl...

First impression is of a very high quality piece of hardware - It looks very classy and fits almost perfectly under my iPhone5 (with slim case).

I have a question though - The 0dB gain position...  Does that do what it says on the tin, ie doesn't actually amplify the incoming signal?  I'm confused!
With the switch in the 0dB position, the output is no louder than it is from the headphone socket of my iPhone (which I'm feeding the amp from).

Obviously switching to the 16dB position amplifies the sound significantly, but I don't understand the purpose of the 0dB position if it's not actually amplifying the source - Doesn't that just make it an expensive attenuator (unless it's at full volume)?

I realise that volume isn't everything, but clearly I'm missing something!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back