FiiO Mont Blanc/E12 portable headphone amp, 880mW, slim design, full metal case. Bass boost and Cross feed!
Mar 7, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #1,546 of 3,739
Chris J,
I noticed you take off your aluminum/tin hat when you go to the grocery store. On balance, I would say that's not a bad choice because the potatoes are particularly frightened by tin foil.

If I didn't know you better I would think you were laughing at me!
I was thinking about posting my test results which 100% prove that an aluminum foil hat gives 90 dB of attentuation from alien radio wave transmissions but the dog ate my homework.
I also have test data proving that 60-70 dB of attentuation is sufficient.

Mar 7, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #1,547 of 3,739
selling my e12 if anyone is interested!

Mar 8, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #1,548 of 3,739
Caracara08,
Probably best to post that in the For Sale forum.

Chris J,
I never knew which aliens to account for, but then again, I am no calculus wiz and maybe you know how to account for that. I failed my college Calculus course in fact, true story, first class I ever "hit a wall" and couldn't keep up, even though I had an A in physics. I guess I could've ended up as "that" kind of engineer, but instead I changed my studies to the field of Graphic Design, so I still get to make stuff. I wouldn't mock you because I imagine we have quite a few similarities, and to mock something about you would also be to mock something about myself.

I'm nervous right now. I have my first work shift in a new position tomorrow in 5 and a half hours from now, and I'll be working for 12 hours straight tomorrow minus 30 minutes to drive from my new job to the old job I'm in the process of quitting. I'm having trouble sleeping, so I think I'll play with my E12 quietly for 15 mins... wish me luck & endurance.

Mar 9, 2013 at 8:25 AM Post #1,550 of 3,739
Caracara08,

Chris J,
I never knew which aliens to account for, but then again, I am no calculus wiz and maybe you know how to account for that. I failed my college Calculus course in fact, true story, first class I ever "hit a wall" and couldn't keep up, even though I had an A in physics. I guess I could've ended up as "that" kind of engineer, but instead I changed my studies to the field of Graphic Design, so I still get to make stuff. I wouldn't mock you because I imagine we have quite a few similarities, and to mock something about you would also be to mock something about myself.

I'm nervous right now. I have my first work shift in a new position tomorrow in 5 and a half hours from now, and I'll be working for 12 hours straight tomorrow minus 30 minutes to drive from my new job to the old job I'm in the process of quitting. I'm having trouble sleeping, so I think I'll play with my E12 quietly for 15 mins... wish me luck & endurance.

Good luck & endurance!
Always nerve racking and fraying starting a new job.:xf_eek:

Aliens to avoid:
The ones from "Alien" & "Aliens" & "Prometheus"
the bad robots from "Transformers"
Romulans
that guy in the next Star Trek, seems to have anger management issues! LOL!:mad:

Aliens to fraternize with:
the ones from "ET" and
the good robots from "Transformers", Optimus Prime and his crew
Klingons, not a bad sort once you get to know them! LOL :p

Mar 9, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #1,551 of 3,739
Ended up sleeping just two hours (anxious, didn't even listen to music), but I was OK Friday because I was wired. Couldn't even sleep right away when I got home. However, despite making sure my alarm was set with a good time balance to get me to work early today, I slept through an hour of my alarm going off and woke up ten mins after my shift started this morning at 7. I stayed a bit late, but I was feeling behind all day. I hate making that impression, I haven't been late for anything in 6 months.

So clearly, what I have to do tonight is go to bed early and listen to music to calm down, so that tomorrow goes smoothly, and my cheerful attitude brightens the spirit of all my coworkers and customers so things get done quicker and with satisfaction. Also, I got paid yesterday, so we'll see what trouble I Et into :wink:

Mar 9, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #1,553 of 3,739
Quote:
When will it be available for sale worldwide?

Late March probably

FiiO just updated their FB that they are about to begin Mass Production.

They are debating if not has already enacted a change that will probably go into effect after the E12. The change will be that they will release products in China first to get feedback and allow for easy changes and RMA process. 

Their official quotes taken from FB, anything above is just my interpretation of it.:

Quote:3/8/2013
News about Mont Blanc, we will start the mass production from next Monday, it means it will launch market soon.

Quote: 3/8/2013
About the ETA of our new products, since FiiO are more and more popular in China, we now will like to release our new products in China first, it will be more easy to us to collect the feedback from end users and easy to get the RMA to see what happen, hope our fans can understand us. sometimes we have to get the RMA so we can find out what happened so we can improve it asap.

Mar 10, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #1,554 of 3,739
Quote:
I don't want or need EQ, I want a flat sound that accurately represents the recording and mastering,

Heard of Quads Peter Walker? Probably the UK greatest ever amp designer, he said the perfect amp is a " wire with a Volume control"

The amp should add no sound character to the sound at all, it should just amplify the source, as purely as possible.

He He. I had a pair of 405-2's converted to monoblocks and signed by Peter himself. I sure wish I'd kept them. 

Mar 10, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #1,555 of 3,739
Caracara08,

Chris J,

There are a lot of people that just don't "get" calculus. It really helps if you can think of physical examples. My first wall in mathematics was vector spaces. That is also our first foray into the abstract. But the reason I had so much trouble with VS in linear algebra, was exactly why I was able to do calculus. I tried to picture what a vector space was, and it just doesn't work when it is a dimension higher than 3.... Whenever I talk to people with higher mathematics background, I want to know how they first learned vector spaces. ChrisJ, how much math did you have to endure to get that power engineering degree? Linear and DifEq? I had an applied analysis course that I hated.

Congrats evshrug. I hope you enjoy that new position. : )

Mar 10, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #1,556 of 3,739
I really wasn't expecting to like the E12 as much as I do. But it is making all of my already good headphones sound that much better.

For instance, I dug out my "giant killer" KSC75's (my first "good" headphones) and hooked them up to the E12, and I am quite blown away by how beautiful they sound.

Mar 11, 2013 at 1:13 AM Post #1,557 of 3,739
I didn't share that positive experience. The E12 made my HE-400s sound brighter than they already are (to the point of fatigue) and didn't do much to improve the sound quality beyond increasing the volume. I eventually sold it in order to pursue a desktop amplifier. 

Mar 11, 2013 at 1:23 AM Post #1,558 of 3,739
Quote:
I didn't share that positive experience. The E12 made my HE-400s sound brighter than they already are (to the point of fatigue) and didn't do much to improve the sound quality beyond increasing the volume. I eventually sold it in order to pursue a desktop amplifier. 

Huh! That really surprises me that they would make them sound brighter, as that hasn't been my experience with the E12 and any of my headphones (which is good, because I wouldn't want them getting brighter). Sorry to hear that the E12 didn't work out for you.

Mar 11, 2013 at 1:34 AM Post #1,559 of 3,739
Quote:

Which version of the HE400 is this? There was a strong magnet version with more treble than the others

Mar 11, 2013 at 3:03 AM Post #1,560 of 3,739
It's Revision 2, which isn't the defective version. I tried to like it, but it was clear the pairing didn't work when I liked the sound better both straight out of the DAC and then even straight out of my laptop. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back