FiiO Mont Blanc/E12 portable headphone amp, 880mW, slim design, full metal case. Bass boost and Cross feed!
Mar 4, 2013 at 4:03 AM Post #1,516 of 3,739
any official update on the 'modified' or 'V2' version of the E12 with the adjusted bass boost?

I would probably, very likely, buy it when its available.

Mar 4, 2013 at 6:10 AM Post #1,517 of 3,739
Thanks. I was concerned that it might not be the best for the battery (ie lessen the lifespan or something). If it's not problem to charge & use at the same time though, I'm a very happy camper.

Btw, I'm loving the E12 - the synergy with my AD900X, S500 and GR07BE's is very nice. Although version 2 will be great, I am incredibly happy with the bass boost of version 1. And although I didn't think I would care about how nicely it is built, it really is a beautifully crafted gizmo.
Well done Fiio! :beerchug:
To be perfectly honest. Just using the E12 is bad for battery in the sense that now it is getting slightly "weared".

You cant enjoy and use a unit while babying it. People can think. Does using and charging produce more tear on the battery? Well a bit. But the real effects are hard to measure. But none the less. Sure it does. Doing ANYTHING is by definition bad for the battery.

I did the math for the E17 following general li ion life span. I didnt do it for e12 yet. But following general life span. You could charge up and use E17 and recharge it continuously for two years before battery life drops to about half the time.

Mar 4, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #1,518 of 3,739
Quote:
To be perfectly honest. Just using the E12 is bad for battery in the sense that now it is getting slightly "weared".

You cant enjoy and use a unit while babying it. People can think. Does using and charging produce more tear on the battery? Well a bit. But the real effects are hard to measure. But none the less. Sure it does. Doing ANYTHING is by definition bad for the battery.

In that case, I'm not going to use it. Fortunately it looks good, so I'm just going to put it in a little pedestal and admire it from afar.

Quote:
I did the math for the E17 following general li ion life span. I didnt do it for e12 yet. But following general life span. You could charge up and use E17 and recharge it continuously for two years before battery life drops to about half the time.

Well, in that case, it's coming down off of it's pedestal and getting used and abused lol!

Seriously though, thanks for that input.

Mar 5, 2013 at 4:33 AM Post #1,520 of 3,739
Quote:
So what should constitute most of the volume? The gain? My laptop volume? Or the amp volume? Which one should I use the most?

Typically you want to set the laptop volume to very high, set the gain to the lowest setting when possible, and adjust the volume with the amp itself. If the volume doesn't get loud enough with the laptop and amp volumes on max, then you should turn up the gain.

Mar 5, 2013 at 6:56 AM Post #1,521 of 3,739
In that case, I'm not going to use it. Fortunately it looks good, so I'm just going to put it in a little pedestal and admire it from afar.

Well, in that case, it's coming down off of it's pedestal and getting used and abused lol!

Seriously though, thanks for that input.

It's a Lithium technology battery.
Don't worry about battery life!
Just use and enjoy it! :D

Mar 5, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #1,522 of 3,739
Quote:
Typically you want to set the laptop volume to very high, set the gain to the lowest setting when possible, and adjust the volume with the amp itself. If the volume doesn't get loud enough with the laptop and amp volumes on max, then you should turn up the gain.

Excuse my ignorance, but why "set the gain to the lowest setting when possible"?

Also, does it make a difference to the battery drain either way?

Mar 5, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #1,523 of 3,739
Quote:
Quote:

Excuse my ignorance, but why "set the gain to the lowest setting when possible"?

I'm not sure about the battery life, but as for the gain, a lower gain introduces less noise into the audio system. Usually it's recommended to only use the gain switch when necessary (i.e. headphones sound too quiet at max volumes).

Mar 5, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #1,524 of 3,739
Pretty sure high gain uses more energy. Basically, I only would use high gain if turning the volume knob all the way up wasn't loud enough... None of my headphones "reach" halfway on the amp before becoming too loud. Some people have posted that high-gain makes the sound more dynamic, but I haven't bothered trying except to see if there was any background noise.

If connecting to another headphone jack, ideally you want the input going into the amp to not be cut at all, so you don't lose information and dynamic range. That usually means max or close to max volume from your source, but you may want to reduce a bit from max so you don't suffer clipping from the weaker amp in your source (and get the best signal-to-noise ratio possible). Basically, I set my iPod or computer at 90% volume, and control the listening volume from my amp, and when I use the FiiO L11 line-out dock adapter (LOD) I turn the volume all the way down because the iPod will send a baseline line-out volume through the LOD anyway.

Mar 5, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #1,525 of 3,739
Thanks!

Mar 5, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #1,526 of 3,739
^ Thanks you'll for all the info above on gain and volume levels setting, will be getting my 1st amp as well within couple of days so my noob @ss is soaking it in like a sponge.
beerchug.gif

edit: And thanks WAYNE for asking such noob questions. Sure helps out fellow noobs like me as well.
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 5, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #1,528 of 3,739
Quote:
^ Thanks you'll for all the info above on gain and volume levels setting, will be getting my 1st amp as well within couple of days so my noob @ss is soaking it in like a sponge.
beerchug.gif

edit: And thanks WAYNE for asking such noob questions. Sure helps out fellow noobs like me as well.
tongue_smile.gif

you got a thousand plus posts and you are still a noob? would it help if this place was in korean?

Mar 5, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #1,529 of 3,739
Quote:
you got a thousand plus posts and you are still a noob? would it help if this place was in korean?

Say What?!! What are you trying to say Kami, your comment kinda lost me there?
wink_face.gif
  It would help if these amps have hot pics of Korean ladies all over them, or even better comes with one, and I prefer them to be home grown in Korea. But sadly like all things cheap and wonderful these dayz it's made in CHina, w/o the sexy babes. :  (

Oh those post numbers, haha 98% of them are troll counts, so meaningful/ insightful ones are only like less than 100, hence my noob status. Forever be noob.
triportsad.gif
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 5, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #1,530 of 3,739

Gain setting has no real effect on energy usage (battery drain).

Battery drain is related to how much power you are driving into the headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back