FiiO Mont Blanc/E12 portable headphone amp, 880mW, slim design, full metal case. Bass boost and Cross feed!
Feb 13, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #1,203 of 3,739
Just tried E12 with Pioneer SE-50.

What can I say? Another perfect synergy pairing! The magical midrange and low-end of E12 compliments the vintage headphone perfectly.

Being a vintage pair, these are actually pretty hard to drive. I had to engage the gain switch on E12 (yeah, imagine doing that to a 8 Ohm headphone). But once the gain switch is on... wow... that midrange, that bass, that soundstage. The gain was so insane that about 1/3 of the way on the volume pot was equal to full volume without gain. But I didn't expect everything

This is truly phenomenon!

So I just want to say... great job, Fiio!

Feb 13, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #1,204 of 3,739
Quote:
Just tried E12 with Pioneer SE-50.

What can I say? Another perfect synergy pairing! The magical midrange and low-end of E12 compliments the vintage headphone perfectly.

Being a vintage pair, these are actually pretty hard to drive. I had to engage the gain switch on E12 (yeah, imagine doing that to a 8 Ohm headphone). But once the gain switch is on... wow... that midrange, that bass, that soundstage. The gain was so insane that about 1/3 of the way on the volume pot was equal to full volume without gain. But I didn't expect everything

This is truly phenomenon!

So I just want to say... great job, Fiio!

Awesome! I have the E12 on the way. I wanted to get the current version since it seems to pair so well with the amazing ad900x. I really can't wait!

Feb 13, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #1,205 of 3,739
 Be gentle. This thread is quite long. Looking for a quick answer... My E12 has horrible interference on all my headphones when connected to my iPhone via FiiO L9 (i believe, its their LOD). Is this avoidable? Is it due to the LOD?? I primarily use it at work through spotify premium. I have a custom LOD coming from BTG Audio, not to correct the interference, but I'm wondering if it will lessen it.

Feb 14, 2013 at 6:10 AM Post #1,207 of 3,739
 Be gentle. This thread is quite long. Looking for a quick answer... My E12 has horrible interference on all my headphones when connected to my iPhone via FiiO L9 (i believe, its their LOD). Is this avoidable? Is it due to the LOD?? I primarily use it at work through spotify premium. I have a custom LOD coming from BTG Audio, not to correct the interference, but I'm wondering if it will lessen it.

First turn off

Bluetooth
Wireless
Cellular

Or just turn off bluetooth and switch on airplane mode.

And try it that way. This is just a test.

It may be this

I ge interference from wifi with mine and only wifi

Att hspa+ 4G
GSM
Usa

Feb 14, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #1,208 of 3,739
Quote:
Hi James

I'd like to know if the E12 is fitted with capacitors at the input stage to decouple any dc component from the signal in the same way as the E11 does.

Thanks

Yes, the capacitors is WIMA. all of our amp includes capacitor in case there are DC voltage and damages the headphones. for any amp which can handle DC voltage, be careful about the DC output .  

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Feb 14, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #1,209 of 3,739

She finally arrived today! First impression is....HELL YEAH 
L3000.gif

I only had the 3.5 interconnect that came with it but it sounds so much better than obviously powered through the iPod itself and even through my A/V receiver. I'm a bit busy tonight with hitting up the gym and work but I'll have to write a review this weekend but I can't wait. Hopefully the new toy feeling doesn't wear off too fast.

Feb 14, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #1,210 of 3,739
still waiting xD

also, i know that the x3 headphone jack is sturdier... i wonder if the E12's headphone jack is sturdier as well, compared to E7/E17

Feb 14, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #1,211 of 3,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Bones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
She finally arrived today! First impression is....HELL YEAH 
L3000.gif

I only had the 3.5 interconnect that came with it but it sounds so much better than obviously powered through the iPod itself and even through my A/V receiver. I'm a bit busy tonight with hitting up the gym and work but I'll have to write a review this weekend but I can't wait. Hopefully the new toy feeling doesn't wear off too fast.

Congrats! Don't forget to burn it in for 20-40 hours as per James' recommendations.

Feb 14, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #1,212 of 3,739
Quote:

Congrats! Don't forget to burn it in for 20-40 hours as per James' recommendations.

Definitely did not even think about the need for a burn-in on the E12, but I don't think 20-40 hours should be such a problem, my ears are too spoiled. I'm pretty happy how portable I think it is too, I was worried that it might be too big but it's just the right size. 

Feb 14, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #1,213 of 3,739
Quote:
Definitely did not even think about the need for a burn-in on the E12, but I don't think 20-40 hours should be such a problem, my ears are too spoiled. I'm pretty happy how portable I think it is too, I was worried that it might be too big but it's just the right size. 

Check out evshrug's review where he said:

Quote:
Lastly, when I first got the amp, I was honestly a little disappointed. It sounded technically very accurate, but there was a sort of "coldness" to the sound and I wasn't feeling very emotionally involved. Like the amp was holding back somehow. After 3 hours, I took a break and got some coffee, came back to the amp, and slowly (as I was typing to someone about it, in fact) "Q701's are digging in deeper and sounding much nicer... Ooh, right as I was typing that, the last track of "The Suburbs" was almost finished and softly hit me with a really low bass note, gave me a chill!" As I listen now, I just melted a bit at the intro to Muse's "Resistance" from the album of the same name. Back when I first heard the E12's "musical side" I put it down as my ears adjusting to the sound signature, but someone else in the E12 thread had a similar experience, and another, then JamesFiiO stated that the WIMA capacitor actually burns in over time. So, I guess now I'm a believer, lol.

And that's great what you think about the size. I haven't received mine yet, but I was a bit worried about the size also. But, I have come to the realization that it will be fine for me.

Feb 14, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #1,214 of 3,739
Quote:

Check out evshrug's review where he said:

And that's great what you think about the size. I haven't received mine yet, but I was a bit worried about the size also. But, I have come to the realization that it will be fine for me.

I think the size is fine.  As long as I can fit the amp and player in my front jeans pocket, I consider it portable.  Centrance considers the M8 portable and it is at least 3X the size of the E12.  I think the E12 is also the best looking portable amp out right now.

Feb 14, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #1,215 of 3,739
Quote:
I think the E12 is also the best looking portable amp out right now.

Without a doubt. Very slender and sleek and quite the exceptional brushed finish. The build is nice and sturdy and that always is a plus in my book.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back