FiiO Mont Blanc/E12 portable headphone amp, 880mW, slim design, full metal case. Bass boost and Cross feed!
Jan 16, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #586 of 3,739
Quote:

What about the people that go to work or travel that want to strap it to their pmp on the train/plane/ car and then plug it into their laptop at the destination? It isnt useless for everyone. There is a reason it is so popular.

I personally use portable units as portable units like you. But a few times have come where a dac played in handy

I was moreso speaking from a personal perspective, but you're right, I hadn't considered that. But I have now, and I still can't see me getting a DAC/amp portable. 

Jan 16, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #587 of 3,739
Quote:

Interesting, considering the E17 is also a DAC... Could you maybe elaborate some more? 

This lends me to doubt the usefulness of a portable DAC/amp even further. I mean, when it comes to my various iPod touches and their generations, I have two with Cirrus chips and one with Wolfson, and I can't say one is 'better' than the otherdefinitely different form one another, but it's subjective. I personally like the Cirrus Logic chip better, despite the Wolfson chip being the 'better' of the two around these parts.

So when it comes to portable DAC/amps, I feel like the DAC part is redundant considering I'm already getting pretty great sound sound already. 

It is also redundant because the DAC portion of the E17 doesn't work with any iDevice unless you are using a CCK (which is added bulk and a hassle to carry around).

Jan 16, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #588 of 3,739
I'll stick with amps.  I don't do hp listening at home so I'll pass on this whole portable DAC business unless it's a Go DAP X or something..... but that's still a months rent lol

Anyways. That helps elaborate why it might sound better than the E17......Back on track, don't want my cynical outlook get in the way of the E12

I'm kind of excited to get one. It won't be for at least a month, but it'll be the first time I'll have two similarly featured amps to cross examine. 

I think I'll unsub from this thread until then to stay away from the hype. I've figured out the formula to staying within my financial boundaries on this forum, and it's working lol. 

Jan 17, 2013 at 4:47 AM Post #589 of 3,739
Mine should be here tomorrow, assuming Fedex actually is on time for once.

Jan 17, 2013 at 7:10 AM Post #590 of 3,739
Quote:
sure it will fall with the new toy syndrome, but users who claim it as the "best" even if they only own it for a few days, and have not compared it with a wide range of amps is definitely wrong

I never said it was the best portable amp, period.  This is what I wrote:

"It is however, definitely the best truly portable amp I now own, and that's compared against the E17 I have, and the E7 and E11 I have owned in the past."

I explicitly qualified that it is the best portable amp I own, and listed each of the products I have personal experience with, and can honestly compare against.  There are many other portable amps out there which I have not (yet) listened to, and some of those may in fact be better overall products - the Leckerton UHA6-MKII, JDS Labs c421, V-MODA VAMP, etc. Note that some of those amps are also a significantly higher price point.

What I can absolutely say, with 100% confidence, is that the E12 is extremely well-built, is very attractive (in my opinion) with the classic FiiO black brushed aluminum finish, is quite powerful for its small size, and perfectly meets my needs for a portable headphone amp.  But I'm not your typical Head-Fi member, in that I tend to find exactly the sound signature and features I'm looking for, and then stop searching.  Is there a headphone better than my Audez'e LCD2s somewhere out there in the world?  Quite possibly, but I am completely satisfied with the music I hear from them, and I spend my time listening to them, rather than searching for another pair and believing the grass is greener in some other backyard.

That's how I feel about the E12 - it meets my needs, and sounds quite good.  For the $99 total I paid for it, I consider it a steal.

Jan 17, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #591 of 3,739
The next day. I'm typing away with my Sennheiser HD568 , iPod Classic and E12 and its so engaging. It's my sound signature. I just took another photo for size comparison.

Jan 17, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #593 of 3,739
Ok. I'm listening to the mp3 version of Dreams of New Orleans by Wycliffe Gordon. This album is notoriously quiet in volume so anything I've used without an amp sounds missing power and oomph.

With the E12 all the different instruments and nuances of the music can be heard at whatever volume you need to go deaf :) the separation and sound stage is all there.

But for me the over riding aspects is the musicality of the music. I have taken tomorrow off as a days holiday just to listen to my E12. For me this will be my main music source for my listening using the Sennhesier HD568, which have sounded the best out of all the amps I have tried.

With the HD568 I have used Graham Slee Voyager, E17, Littledot MKIV and my MacBook. But the E12 is what does it for me.

I really wish you could join me in a group listening session and enjoy what I am hearing. Fiio I love this baby

When you all get yours I hope you come to the same conclusion.

Jan 17, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #594 of 3,739
It seems mine still hasn't left FiiO... 
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back