FiiO Mont Blanc/E12 portable headphone amp, 880mW, slim design, full metal case. Bass boost and Cross feed!
Jul 20, 2015 at 6:52 AM Post #3,616 of 3,739
  It is better to not use while charging. 

It is better to charge before first usage.

It is better to use a safe power supply.

Thanks for the feedback, I'm considering using this with the original cable for charging, seems optimal? If the text in the pic is too small, it says "5.25 V, 2.1A" output .

Aug 14, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #3,621 of 3,739
Does anyone have any idea how the crossfeed circuit changes the frequency response? I like having the option to use with Spotify or any other time I'm not using Neutron Music Player with its built-in crossfeed, but the E12's crossfeed seriously kills the high frequencies. I was thinking about getting a Fiio X5ii and balancing out the crossfeed FR with the equalizer, but right now I think Neutron on my old iTouch is the way to go, even if its DAC is not the highest quality. I just don't understand why these "audiophile" music players lack the sound adjustability that consumer-oriented players have.

Aug 14, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #3,622 of 3,739
Crossfeed overlaps the signal slightly from the right and left channels. Good for older tracks that have hard panning to one side, like many songs from The Beatles for example. It usually sounds very odd to hear an instrument or a voice on just one side so the crossfeed helps with this. If you don't need it for this application then leave it off as crossfeed will flatten the imaging on most regular stereo music that has better channel balance.

Aug 15, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #3,623 of 3,739
I'm familiar with the basic concepts of crossfeed, personally I leave it on all the time as it doesn't mess with the FR too much with the moderate settings I use (650 hz lowpass, -6 to -7 db crossfeed level depending on the headphones I use). These settings are for Neutron and foobar2000, which share a similar crossfeed implementation, if not the same. With the E12, the crossfeed seems more extreme, like the lowpass is set at a higher frequency and the crossfeed level is set closer to 0 db. It's really a shame, as a more subtle (adjustable if possible) crossfeed on the E12 and parametric EQ on the X3/X5 would be enough to make the E12/X series an endgame portable rig for me.

Sep 2, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #3,624 of 3,739
I noticed that there is balance mismatch with the volume knob of my E12 . Left channel volume is slightly higher than right below 50%. 
When I use low gain, I need to go as high as 100% volume sometimes. I do just fine with low gain, which solves my problem, but in some cases I need high gain. (My headphone is a bit hard to drive)
Any advises? 

Sep 2, 2015 at 7:28 PM Post #3,625 of 3,739
I have two E12 and none has the imbalance issue. That being said, especially with small form factor pots, imbalance can be pretty bad, even on ALPS (assuming they are original :D ).
Nothing you can do, besides playing with gain to keep the pot in the balanced area.
Not sure if you can claim warranty for that.

Sep 3, 2015 at 9:01 AM Post #3,626 of 3,739
EyuiOL-8ff.jpg
Akwpa-Skj2.jpg
Wow it has good spec.. Also design looks good!

+1

Sep 14, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #3,627 of 3,739
Another power question- does it use less power if the input is silent? That is, if I pause my clipzip, it has auto off but e12 doesn't. Will it drop to consume only minimally, or pretty much give regular life (12hrs? ) even if it's amplifying silence?

Also, if I recharge after only 50% depletion, Will i negatively affect the capacity?

Sep 15, 2015 at 7:12 AM Post #3,628 of 3,739
Your main "no sound" consumption is come from the idle current from the op-amps and buffer.
It's about 5.5mA for the LME49710 plus 7.5mA for the LME49600, per channel. Plus, other circuitry leakages (the voltage boost charge pump, the relay on the HP output, etc...).
So yes, it does not go in sleep mode with no input signal.

Sep 15, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #3,629 of 3,739
Another power question- does it use less power if the input is silent? That is, if I pause my clipzip, it has auto off but e12 doesn't. Will it drop to consume only minimally, or pretty much give regular life (12hrs? ) even if it's amplifying silence?

Also, if I recharge after only 50% depletion, Will i negatively affect the capacity?

In my experience, even with input silent the E12 will still only last regular life(or a little bit longer). Recharging after 50% depletion has no negative effect on the FiiO battery(IMHO).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back