FiiO Mont Blanc/E12 portable headphone amp, 880mW, slim design, full metal case. Bass boost and Cross feed!
Jun 27, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #3,605 of 3,739
There are very few portable HP amplifiers around, more powerful than the E12. It has a 15+V peak-to-peak swing, and can sink 250mA continuously (500mA peak), per channel.
I would not worry at all, in both cases.
Basically, unless you are trying to drive an HP whose drivers are made by plywood, the E12 should cover it.

Jun 28, 2015 at 10:18 PM Post #3,606 of 3,739
Hey everyone,

I managed to tweak the E12 bass boost curve using a little subtractive EQ. I used the Golden Ears Accudio app on my iPod as it utilizes a useful frequency graph that illustrates what you're cutting/boosting. I also used the E12 bass boost frequency graph on fiio.net as a reference. Here's what I came up with:

Step 1: E12 bass boost frequency response

Now to get rid of that bloated mid bass, I introduced a -3 dB cut at 125 Hz (2.5 oct bandwidth). The resulting cut after the curve looks like this:

Step 2: Revised bass boost (green line) after 125 Hz cut (blue line).

As you can see, this bass boost is much more sub-bass focused. It fills in the low end of my Sennheiser HD600 nicely and coaxes some impressive, powerful yet controlled sub-bass out of my AKG K545. With the K545, I was wishing for an intermediate gain setting with the E12 because I had to apply a pre-cut for the software EQ bass boost I was using. Now I can run full volume on 0 gain, which is plenty with the efficient AKGs. Hardware EQ FTW!

Jun 29, 2015 at 4:18 AM Post #3,607 of 3,739
There are very few portable HP amplifiers around, more powerful than the E12. It has a 15+V peak-to-peak swing, and can sink 250mA continuously (500mA peak), per channel.
I would not worry at all, in both cases.
Basically, unless you are trying to drive an HP whose drivers are made by plywood, the E12 should cover it.

There is this;

http://www.ibasso.com/products-detail.php?id=87

Allows you to go balanced as well. I would confidently say it would stomp all over the E12 but naturally it is at a higher price point.

Jul 2, 2015 at 5:54 AM Post #3,608 of 3,739
Hi guys!

Anyone got any experience with sending their E12 to FiiO for warranty replacement? 

I sent mine june 19th and it's been stuck saying
19-Jun-2015 08:25Arrival Import customsBEIJING

since the 19th as you can see? I've heard from sneaking around on forums that it can take months for stuff to get sent out from china, but is it the same going into China? 

Any thoughts?

Jul 2, 2015 at 6:00 AM Post #3,609 of 3,739
  Hi guys!

Anyone got any experience with sending their E12 to FiiO for warranty replacement? 

I sent mine june 19th and it's been stuck saying
19-Jun-2015 08:25Arrival Import customsBEIJING

since the 19th as you can see? I've heard from sneaking around on forums that it can take months for stuff to get sent out from china, but is it the same going into China? 

Any thoughts?

That is quite bad. 

What type of shipping did you use when you sent?

Jul 2, 2015 at 6:36 AM Post #3,611 of 3,739
  EMS 

I sent it as en EMS package.

EDIT, hahaha, speaking of the devil, between my last message and now I get an email from Fii0 confirming that the package has arrived :) Happy days are here again :)

Great!

I hope that you will receive a good, working one, and that you will be happy with it!

Jul 2, 2015 at 6:42 AM Post #3,612 of 3,739
  Great!

I hope that you will receive a good, working one, and that you will be happy with it!

Me too my fellow FiiO friend, me too. But I will be super paranoid about it breaking again. Probably won't dare to charge it from the wall socket and only use the usb even if it takes all night, I'm suspecting that some surge spike from the wall socket killed it last time. 

Jul 3, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #3,613 of 3,739
  Me too my fellow FiiO friend, me too. But I will be super paranoid about it breaking again. Probably won't dare to charge it from the wall socket and only use the usb even if it takes all night, I'm suspecting that some surge spike from the wall socket killed it last time. 

Of course you should do what you feel is best, but I've been charging mine solely from the wall for over a year without a problem.

Jul 20, 2015 at 5:50 AM Post #3,614 of 3,739
Is there anything considered unsafe conduct when using a portable amp? Like beginning using it out of the box (or any other time when it has very low batteries) whilst charging it via usb etc? Using it at high volume output for longer periods, or anything? 

Jul 20, 2015 at 5:57 AM Post #3,615 of 3,739
  Is there anything considered unsafe conduct when using a portable amp? Like beginning using it out of the box (or any other time when it has very low batteries) whilst charging it via usb etc? Using it at high volume output for longer periods, or anything? 

It is better to not use while charging. 

It is better to charge before first usage.

It is better to use a safe power supply.

It is safe to use at any volumes, as long as you can cool it off. For example, if it runs too hot to the touch, you should stop using it. This can be solved by keeping it in a cool envoirment, and/ or not keeping it in a bag, or in direct sunlight. 

It is not safe to drop it.

It is counter-productive to double amp a signal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back