FiiO Mont Blanc/E12 portable headphone amp, 880mW, slim design, full metal case. Bass boost and Cross feed!
Feb 14, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #1,216 of 3,739
Quote:
I think the size is fine.  As long as I can fit the amp and player in my front jeans pocket, I consider it portable.  Centrance considers the M8 portable and it is at least 3X the size of the E12.  I think the E12 is also the best looking portable amp out right now.

Yes, it is pretty. I am looking for some "Dual Lock" stuff for locking it to my various sources. From what I have heard, that stuff works well.

Feb 14, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #1,217 of 3,739
Quote:
I think the size is fine.  As long as I can fit the amp and player in my front jeans pocket, I consider it portable.  Centrance considers the M8 portable and it is at least 3X the size of the E12.  I think the E12 is also the best looking portable amp out right now.

not really, pico products are good-looking as well, but they are pricier of course. for 150usd below bracket though, fiio has the best looking porta amps!

Feb 14, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #1,219 of 3,739
Does anybody else find the nearly 6 dB of bass boost to be much, especially without any increment upwards to it?  I didn't even check the specific amount until now because I couldn't possibly imagine that this would be done, especially since everybody has been so happy with the level of all the former bass boost integrations.  As a matter of fact, the only complaints I've ever seen before was that even then people found it sometimes to be much...

It's quite disappointing actually.  Many pairs of headphones benefit from a little bit of bass boost (it's often the case for many technical reasons actually), and for casual listening and consumer purposes, a bass boost can also be nice.  But 6 decibels of it?...  That eliminates about 90% of scenarios where bass boost has a good use and this unfortunately eliminated the amp for me all together because I fall into the category where the boost could actually be used to balance out the frequency response of my cans which are otherwise perfect (for my needs but also of course IMO).  The amp is therefore limited to scenarios where bass boost isn't wanted AND/OR NEEDED, and the 10% remaining of cases where it's wanted (the percentage of course being an arbitrary number...).  

Feb 14, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #1,221 of 3,739
Quote:
I would be curious for info/feedback on the dual lock.  The bands are too frustrating since they block the touchscreen on the Iphone.

This is what I have so far. I went to my local Home Depot (Canada), and they didn't know what I was talking about lol. The search continues...

This is the product link.

Feb 14, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #1,222 of 3,739
This is what I have so far. I went to my local Home Depot (Canada), and they didn't know what I was talking about lol. The search continues...

This is the product link.

I remember people talking about that. Completely forgot about that as I am fairly comfortable with the bands.

all i need now are VERY short 3.5 mm interconnect , L11(buy not borrow), and dual lock

Feb 14, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #1,223 of 3,739
Quote:
Do you have new or previous bass version?

Fyi, I have been discussing this with Typhoon here.

But regarding the "previous" version, I ordered mine from Micca a few days ago. Do you think it is safe to assume that it would still be the "previous" version?  I am hoping so.

Feb 14, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #1,224 of 3,739
Fyi, I have been discussing this with Typhoon here.

But regarding the "previous" version, I ordered mine from Micca a few days ago. Do you think it is safe to assume that it would still be the "previous" version?  I am hoping so.
It is almost if not certain to be v1.

I dont think bass presense on impact 1 is large but i dont know what typhoon got

Feb 14, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #1,225 of 3,739
Well, I think it was Tyll who first discovered dual lock. Anyway, it's great for portable rigs, especially the transparent low-profile one - it looks like that and you actually don't need such a big strip and you put one on the DAP and you press them together and separate them later as I did for the pic. Also it leaves almost zero residue if you want to remove it from the equipment 

Feb 14, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #1,228 of 3,739
Quote:
Does anybody else find the nearly 6 dB of bass boost to be much, especially without any increment upwards to it?  I didn't even check the specific amount until now because I couldn't possibly imagine that this would be done, especially since everybody has been so happy with the level of all the former bass boost integrations.  As a matter of fact, the only complaints I've ever seen before was that even then people found it sometimes to be much...

It's quite disappointing actually.  Many pairs of headphones benefit from a little bit of bass boost (it's often the case for many technical reasons actually), and for casual listening and consumer purposes, a bass boost can also be nice.  But 6 decibels of it?...  That eliminates about 90% of scenarios where bass boost has a good use and this unfortunately eliminated the amp for me all together because I fall into the category where the boost could actually be used to balance out the frequency response of my cans which are otherwise perfect (for my needs but also of course IMO).  The amp is therefore limited to scenarios where bass boost isn't wanted AND/OR NEEDED, and the 10% remaining of cases where it's wanted (the percentage of course being an arbitrary number...).  

Quote:
Do you have new or previous bass version?

If you were referring to me, I don't have either.  That's hardly the point.  Plus, both integrations (the second of which I feel is better) have approximately the same amount of gain applied, just differently...  

PS- I do however have almost every other FiiO amp or at least have heard/seen them...  The graph is enough to know objectively and subjectively the impact it would have on the sound.  All I wouldn't know is how well it does it or how perfectly accurate that graph representation is, which again, at the level it's at would hardly be of any relevance to the point I made and am asking about.

Feb 15, 2013 at 3:00 AM Post #1,229 of 3,739
you guys can just use a small amount of blu-tak between the amp and the back of the dap and press it firmly. its cheaper and it wont mess the adhesive of dual lock/velcro at the surface of your daps or amps

Feb 15, 2013 at 3:17 AM Post #1,230 of 3,739
I don't know about that. For me the low-profile dual lock is like the future of portable audio devices stacking. For instance, you forget to charge your amp - unsnap it and snap you backup amp on the DAP. You don't have to remove the dual lock when you want to separate your rig - you just separate it and they wait to be snapped back together. Also, as I said the low-profile dual lock leaves almost zero residue for that moment when you want to remove it and sell your DAP, for instance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back