FiiO Mont Blanc/E12 portable headphone amp, 880mW, slim design, full metal case. Bass boost and Cross feed!
Feb 11, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #1,171 of 3,739
Quote:

Say what?
Then it should have been posted in reviews.
confused_face_2.gif

You did title it the "...Review and Help Thread".

Anyway, it's your thread and you're free to do whatever you like with it.

I prefer to have a standalone thread for reviews.

Feb 11, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #1,172 of 3,739
Quote:

Hi
smile.gif

it would Be possible to have  an option of low gain so that to be able to use the e12 with iem? 

In this way there is a possibility of greater excursion pot volume avoiding problems; i think to decompensation channels and/or accidental movements that may damage iem and/or ear.
etysmile.gif

tongue.gif

cool.gif

Thanks 

Quote:
There already is one.

There isn't any number lower than 0 for gain in terms of gaining.

The E12 wasn't mean for IEM's.

You can use them with it, but some may hiss, others may be too sensitive.

E17 will work with more IEM's.

Don't worry or worry less about that.

The E12's volume pot was either designed or was by chance good already in that.

It is extremely hard to turn the pot when you have only one finger trying to turn it. IT is a bit sticky during the lower turns but gets looser as you get up top.

Excuse me if I revisit the topic, but less than 0 there are negative numbers; many amps use them for greater flexibility.

The same  Fijo for the E6 uses a -3db.

With the power of the E12 would be more indicated a -6/ or -12 db.

I am not a technician and I cannot see what contraindications may lead. 

Can you explain me why no

Thanks

Feb 11, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #1,173 of 3,739
Quote:

Excuse me if I revisit the topic, but less than 0 there are negative numbers; many amps use them for greater flexibility.

Thanks

in terms of gaining

I was trying to be humorous. Obviously there is no number smaller than 0 if you want to make something louder. 
rolleyes.gif

I guess what you are trying to ask is if the gain's labeled are actually the true gains and not just a convenient number to use?

You would have to ask FiiO that(JAmes) but he is currently celebrating CNY as am I

Feb 11, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #1,174 of 3,739
Quote:

I was trying to be humorous. Obviously there is no number smaller than 0 if you want to make something louder. 

I guess what you are trying to ask is if the gain's labeled are actually the true gains and not just a convenient number to use?

You would have to ask FiiO that(JAmes) but he is currently celebrating CNY as am I

I understand, you're very nice
wink.gif

but despite having waited days, has not arrived no response pertinete nor by James nor by ClieOs, nor by those who wanted to..
biggrin.gif

I thank you, we'll have to wait 
popcorn.gif
.... perhaps  
deadhorse.gif

beerchug.gif

Feb 11, 2013 at 7:19 PM Post #1,175 of 3,739

I sincerely have not returned to create a flame war as accused by some other members who did not appreciate my personal opinion in regard to the size. As a result I have added these few people to my Block list , not so that I take offence but so as to spare them from becoming unnecessarily vehement as a result of my replies.

The objective of forums are for injections of personal opinions which equate to Reviews. One review may differ to another and who is to say which one is more correct than the other ? So if a reviewer provides a poor review of a device, should this reviewer expect Administrative retribution as others have implied ? If so then how can anyone trust the integrity of that Site ?

I still stand by my impression that this device is too large for my purpose and that's not breaking any Forum Rules. Other's may consider it to be canine testicles from Northumberland and that's their own personal opinions, yet there are some others who also consider this device to be "huge" in comparisons.

Whether James take heed or not of my opinion its his prerogative, either way it is of no matter.
To submit personal attacks because you do not agree to others opinions should warrant Administrative notification,

Your personal opinions have been logically responded to 50 pages ago, and it was also stated that FiiO can no longer change the size of the amp. You can try to victimise yourself all you like, but that's not going to mean anything. Your tone is clearly condescending and insulting, and your attempt to label those that responded to you as some kind of angry FiiO shill mob is unwanted. 

Looks like you've finally made it to my blocklist as well.

Feb 11, 2013 at 7:30 PM Post #1,176 of 3,739
Quote:

wink.gif

but despite having waited days, has not arrived no response pertinete nor by James nor by ClieOs, nor by those who wanted to..
biggrin.gif

popcorn.gif
.... perhaps  
deadhorse.gif

beerchug.gif

It's the new year celebration and break for FiiO.

Feb 11, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #1,177 of 3,739
Quote:

Thanks

Quote:

wink.gif

biggrin.gif

popcorn.gif
.... perhaps  
deadhorse.gif

beerchug.gif

Sorry, I don't check this thread regularly as there are simply too many threads around.

E6 has a -3dB gain because a full line-level signal (2V) will clip the amp section. E12 has more than enough voltage swing to avoid clipping on line signal so it isn't necessary to have negative gain. If it was up to me, I'll like a -6db / 0 / +6dB kind of setting, but you do need to remember that negative gain generally is bad news for dynamic range (as a compromise) to achieve better control on volume range for sensitive headphone / IEM.

I use E12 with IEM all the time with no problem. It might not have been designed for IEM, but most of the time it still works quite well.

Feb 12, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #1,178 of 3,739
Quote:

BTW, the LME49600 can change to another working mode which will consume even more power but the sound will be even better, but the battery life will drop to less than 10 hours. there are not secret in the analog electronics technical , the true is that usually better sound quality need more power

unless you choose digital amplifier which still can't compete with analog amplifier so far.

If you can make a Fiio E13 or anything that's O2 sized but with much higher audio quality and power output than E12, then I'd buy it even if it can barely reach 10 hours of battery life.

I think O2 has made a strong case that there are people willing to sacrifice ergonomics and portability for better audio quality.

That and I think a strictly USB DAC to compliment E12 would be something I'm willing to pay top dollar for. I've been a huge fan of your company's D3 for a long while (I haven't heard the revised D03K though), and I've been itching to see a USB version that has a better opamp that gives better soundstage/stereo separation.

Feb 12, 2013 at 7:56 AM Post #1,180 of 3,739
Quote:
Quote:

It depends on the gain, volume as well as what kind of load you are running the amp to. Low impedance (such as CIEM) or high impedance (such as >250ohm) load tend to suck out more power as the former demands more current while the later demands more voltage. I have ran E12 over 12 hours on two different times on typical 32ohm load on normal volume myself.

I am not implying BH is bad in anyway - but law of physics stated that you can't spend more energy than you have. The reason FiiO can't put 100 hours of battery life (i.e. E7) into E12 is because E12 is outputting a lot more power than almost any portable amp in the market now, and those power needs to come from somewhere. The only solution is to cut down power (which voids the design goal of a portable that is capable of driving some of the hardest load) or increase the battery size (which voids the 'portable' part of the amp). If you are getting 100 hours of battery life, then the logical question is, how is it possible to get such an exceptional battery life without compromising other aspect in the design? It is optimized for battery life or driving power? It is not an issue of right or wrong, but the designer's goal and how well it performs to the demand.

Thanks for the explanation, any designer have to make decision between the size, performance, battery life, cost and some other things. the battery capacity of the build in battery is equal to 2400mAh@3.7V, the output power is 850mWx2, compare with our old E7, it is 1100mAh and the battery life is

about 100 hours and the output power is about 150mW X 2.  

BTW, the LME49600 can change to another working mode which will consume even more power but the sound will be even better, but the battery life will drop to less than 10 hours. there are not secret in the analog electronics technical , the true is that usually better sound quality need more power

unless you choose digital amplifier which still can't compete with analog amplifier so far.

Just came across this thread. Nice specs! I have a DIY amp here that uses a similar set-up and I set to the better working mode. Would be interesting to have an amp where this could be switched in and out though I'm not sure if that could be done in a convenient way. Maybe via dip switches on the board accessible through a hole? Just throwing the thought out there. 

By the way, let me know if you're coming to the FujiyaAvic show in Tokyo in May as it'd be great to be able to say hi. 
smile.gif

Feb 12, 2013 at 8:48 AM Post #1,181 of 3,739
Quote:

Just came across this thread. Nice specs! I have a DIY amp here that uses a similar set-up and I set to the better working mode. Would be interesting to have an amp where this could be switched in and out though I'm not sure if that could be done in a convenient way. Maybe via dip switches on the board accessible through a hole? Just throwing the thought out there. 

By the way, let me know if you're coming to the FujiyaAvic show in Tokyo in May as it'd be great to be able to say hi. 
smile.gif

Will try to attend the show, but at least our distributor Oyaide will be there.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Feb 12, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #1,182 of 3,739

By the way, let me know if you're coming to the FujiyaAvic show in Tokyo in May as it'd be great to be able to say hi. :smile:

Maybe it could switch to this mode automatically if plugged into a wall outlet and turned on? Sort of like how laptops switch to high performance mode when plugged in to power? Maybe a lower power mode during portable use to extend battery life... Then again, I get a few days of my typical use out of the E12 as-is.

Feb 12, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #1,185 of 3,739
Quote:
Quote:

smile.gif

Maybe it could switch to this mode automatically if plugged into a wall outlet and turned on? Sort of like how laptops switch to high performance mode when plugged in to power? Maybe a lower power mode during portable use to extend battery life... Then again, I get a few days of my typical use out of the E12 as-is.

Good thinking! Poor James is going to have to get the kitchen sink built into the E12 if we keep coming up with these ideas though. 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back