FiiO M9 , Android based Hi-Res smart DAP with 3.5/2.5 powerful output|AKM4490 X2 |WiFi|aptX/aptX HD/LDAC/HWA(LHDC)|USB DAC|USB AUDIO OUT
May 27, 2019 at 4:46 AM Post #1,921 of 2,501
Mine does highest rate LDAC only with WiFi turned off. Otherwise it stutters. With WiFi on it's only 'connection first' that works with WiFi on stutter free. I find LDAC, in any format, sounds better than APTX-HD and in fact sounds almost as good as pure WiFi transmission to my Arcam WiFi receiver. But...as long as I don't sit and compare, APTX-HD to LDAC, using my 'BluDento' aptx-hd receiver, APTX-HD sounds great and is good enough. Highest quality LDAC through the FiiO BTR3 sounds stunning, whatever headphones I use in the BTR3, but WiFi has to be turned off on the M9 to use the highest LDAC rates with no stuttering.
Steve
I believe the issue with the M9 is the strength of the Wi-Fi hardware and also the low power CPU. All of these ‘issues’ have reportedly been fixed in the M11 (at a cost, of course). Not much you can do about hardware limitations in the M9. For pure local playback and anything other than LDAC + Wi-Fi it’s a great little player.

May 27, 2019 at 5:02 AM Post #1,922 of 2,501
is there big improvement from fiio m6 over m9?
is it worth the extra 150$?
or perhaps should just buy X5iii used?
looking for best value fiio DAP

I have both M6 and M9. The M9 sounds just a little better, but the form factor of the M6 is perfect. If I could only have one I would choose the M6, unless I needed the coax, S/PDIF out or the balanced out. I love the M6 in my shirt pocket using the headphone jack at the top. The M9 has the jack at the bottom making it difficult for shirt pockets. The M6 is extremely well thought out.

May 27, 2019 at 5:15 AM Post #1,923 of 2,501
I believe the issue with the M9 is the strength of the Wi-Fi hardware and also the low power CPU. All of these ‘issues’ have reportedly been fixed in the M11 (at a cost, of course). Not much you can do about hardware limitations in the M9. For pure local playback and anything other than LDAC + Wi-Fi it’s a great little player.

The M11 looks beautiful. The only thing stopping me buying it is that it's as big as my phone so would only be an indoor unit for me. It looks stunning and reviews are top notch, but I just like the size of the M6 particularly and the M9 too, even with their foibles and their CPU weakness. But...... I have a sneaking feeling I may buy the M11 in the end. It looks amazing.

Last edited:
May 27, 2019 at 6:04 AM Post #1,924 of 2,501
I have m9 and really like it for really good sound and small size. But main problem with it is a little bit too slow processor and small amount of ram. Perhaps that's why it stutters when wifi is on and ldac is on highest settings. Other tnan that i believe m11 isn't noticabely better then m9. It is better in hardware and speed. But also like second and bigger phone so not so portable as m9. For spotify or local files m9 has best price performance ratio for me till now. Only it has some special tuning with a little bit raised higher mids and lower treble so it fits for smoother iems (like their fh5 or fa7) but with some iems it could be a little bit brighter sounding. I will test with fh7 when will have possibility but i believe it could be too bright as fh7 more brighter in treble than previous fiio models. Or it could be good combo, who knows.

May 30, 2019 at 12:23 AM Post #1,930 of 2,501
what exactly does balanced boost do? it gets louder , but it sounds better to me without it. Since a few days I use the 2.5 connection and above appears a circle as a symbol, I assume that the 2.5 mm operation is meant?
Not sure what you mean regarding the circle/cross symbol. Can you do a screenshot?

“Balanced Boost” is a gain adjustment. Crude and ugly but I’ve been surprised by how good it sounds within the context of the dual-AKs: I don’t like how the M9 sounds on its own single-ended. Mushy. The op-amp implementation for balanced sounds better to me but still not much better than drinking a mud puddle through a straw.

May 30, 2019 at 9:48 AM Post #1,931 of 2,501
Not sure what you mean regarding the circle/cross symbol. Can you do a screenshot?

“Balanced Boost” is a gain adjustment. Crude and ugly but I’ve been surprised by how good it sounds within the context of the dual-AKs: I don’t like how the M9 sounds on its own single-ended. Mushy. The op-amp implementation for balanced sounds better to me but still not much better than drinking a mud puddle through a straw.

The 3.5 mm connection was not bad, but for me the 2.5 mm connection sounds better! no idea if the upgrade cable makes a difference, I have one with 16 cores and one with 4 cores and that with 16 cores is definitely better.

Here is the symbol: ( the symbol in the middle)

B5B3660B-F866-43A1-B6FF-BECC5E3DAD20.jpeg

Last edited:
May 30, 2019 at 5:23 PM Post #1,932 of 2,501
The 3.5 mm connection was not bad, but for me the 2.5 mm connection sounds better! no idea if the upgrade cable makes a difference, I have one with 16 cores and one with 4 cores and that with 16 cores is definitely better.

Here is the symbol: ( the symbol in the middle)

When I use my 2.5 cable the same symbol appears on my M9 so I would have to say that yes this symbol represents 2.5 balanced connection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back