FiiO M9 , Android based Hi-Res smart DAP with 3.5/2.5 powerful output|AKM4490 X2 |WiFi|aptX/aptX HD/LDAC/HWA(LHDC)|USB DAC|USB AUDIO OUT
Feb 3, 2019 at 12:26 PM Post #1,486 of 2,501
Would there be any advantage (and would it be possible) to hook the M9 up to an amp like the Fiio Q5 and then listen to it via bluetooth on some Sennheiser PXC 550s?

Feb 3, 2019 at 12:44 PM Post #1,487 of 2,501
Would there be any advantage (and would it be possible) to hook the M9 up to an amp like the Fiio Q5 and then listen to it via bluetooth on some Sennheiser PXC 550s?

The Sennheisers being bluetooth have their own built in amp, so streaming from the M9 or Q5 won't make the slightest diffence as they're only providing the signal for the music. The Q5 won't improve volume or sound quality.

Feb 3, 2019 at 2:35 PM Post #1,488 of 2,501
I listened to the track but there is no way that that track can be listened to at maximum volume. It would be the end of my hearing. Zls88 gave this address. https://www.dropbox.com/s/512kto98uozyj6t/02 Long Road No Turns.flac?dl=1 for the track. Maybe you could use some hardware to test whether it's clipping. It's not clipping as far as my ears can tell on my M9 at a safe (loud) volume. Personally I think it is the file itself and not the M9. When I played the same track on Spotify 320kbps it sounded much cleaner, clearer etc and definitely no clipping. There are a some on this thread who think some hi-res tracks have artifacts when played on the M9 (possibly). Unfortunately my older ears cannot distinguish, in general, between hi-res FLAC and Spotifiy's 320kbps OGG files. A little conundrum for you. What sounds better to my HIFi? Hi-res Flac over Bluetooth APTX-HD or 320kbps OGG over WiFi (DLNA)?
Steve

I just realized I've been using the terminology wrong and that "clipping" means something else. It's more like microgaps. The effect is extremely obvious and jarring, even for noisy music like Daughters, so if you can't hear it your device must be playing the track properly. If I have time I'll make a recording of the comparison.

It’s for sure an issue with the high-res file itself (and many other high-res files I tried). It has nothing to do with volume. It’s a bit hard to hear in the OP’s file because it’s such a loud and noisy track. Download the files I linked a few posts up, load them on your M9, and you’ll hear what I’m hearing. It’s a bug...hopefully a software bug that can be fixed in firmware, otherwise we have a problem.

I can hear it on your track too. As for taste, uh, this is actually an acoustic according of "Sound of Silence", it's just the distortion that makes it sound so weird :)

seriously though, I tried playing the exact same file through the DAP in USB DAC mode and it played fine, so I'm pretty sure it's software.

@FiiO
* micro gaps from time to time in different tracks -> not fixed
In addition in rare cases, I have bigger gaps in tracks ~0,5 sec
* skip back button is not working in several cases (after quick button actions) -> result: skip fwd instead skip back -> not fixed
* file manager stuck while loading files (+20.000 files) -> not fixed

It seems, all reported issues are still open and not fixed with the latest FW. :frowning2:
As next, I will re-test replay gain and gapless playback and distortion / clipping of DSD files....

re-tested with 1.0.4 FW / fatcory reset and complete new rescan of all my files

In summary. The M9 device is a warranty case!
I can't believe this is still broken and, hell, unacknowledged :frowning2: it seems like a showstopper bug to me...

Feb 3, 2019 at 5:38 PM Post #1,489 of 2,501
... next testings....
* gapless playback is not working in different cases -> not fixed (sometimes it's working, sometimes not) -> not really stable for normal encoded FLAC files
* problems with german umlauts -> not fixed
* replayGain -> it seems, it's working but not tried enough to detect clippings -> partially fixed
* extra settings -3/-6 dB gain for DSD files -> not found and DSD files not tested until now... maybe the same situation as before with the old FW

Feb 4, 2019 at 11:00 PM Post #1,491 of 2,501
My device came with a coax dongle in the bottom of the box that I just found out about yesterday. Perhaps that’s what you’re looking for?

Thanks. That makes the connections fit, but I am still not getting m9 sound from the receiver? Is there a setting that I need to change when I switch from earphones to coaxial?

Feb 6, 2019 at 7:34 AM Post #1,496 of 2,501
Hi to all,

I have bought the Fiio m9 and i want to connect it with an external headphone amp. I suppose that the connection must be done through the unbalance 3.5mm port. Does It need to change something to the Audio Menu to Select output or to the SPDIF out?

Many thanks

Feb 6, 2019 at 1:42 PM Post #1,499 of 2,501
@pnzr - I have AP80, and M9, and will soon have M6. M9 is a tad better than AP80 in detail and overall clarity / resolution
M6 is a bargain. Great little dap. Have you tried Shanling m5s yet?

Feb 7, 2019 at 6:31 AM Post #1,500 of 2,501
Hi to all,

I have bought the Fiio m9 and i want to connect it with an external headphone amp. I suppose that the connection must be done through the unbalance 3.5mm port. Does It need to change something to the Audio Menu to Select output or to the SPDIF out?

Many thanks
When connecting to an amp, you should select "LO" (line-out) in the audio menu (M9 Settings -> Audio Settings -> Multifunctional Output). The default setting for "Adjustable volume at LO" is off. You can check this option in the audio menu if you want to control the volume of LO using the M9 volume wheel.

Cheers... Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back