FiiO M9 , Android based Hi-Res smart DAP with 3.5/2.5 powerful output|AKM4490 X2 |WiFi|aptX/aptX HD/LDAC/HWA(LHDC)|USB DAC|USB AUDIO OUT
Dec 15, 2018 at 12:07 PM Post #796 of 2,501
Sounds broken :/

Have you updated to the latest firmware?

Sure, it is 1.0.2.

Its battery life is not good, but it is not somewhat terrible that I would consider it as defective immediately.

I will wait 2 - 3 days more to see if it gets better.

Anyway, I tried using a stopwatch to measure its charging time from 25% to 100%. It took 1 hour and 10 minutes, not around 40 mins estimated by the software.

I hope the battery life is better. Although FiiO claims 9 - 10 hours, users in my community said it can last 14 - 15 hours. Their feedback about battery life is quite good. Some even mentioned that how come FiiO has only 9 - 10 hours for its specification. Mine is not likely to hit 9 hours of continuous use.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #797 of 2,501
After a micro sd is inserted, you can go into settings and choose. It's right at the bottom before logout.
I don’t see that screen layout on my M9? I’d like to know how get the MD to ‘point to’ the SD card vs internal memory? I keep getting a msg that indicates my storage space is running out.
86051E7C-07D6-410F-ADCD-A448356E1659.jpeg 540E3584-6131-4764-9188-5A6887C52590.jpeg

Dec 15, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #799 of 2,501
Hey :)
Now, I ordered my M9, but I have a question.
Has anyone checked the M9 running time via BT headphones (LDAC) in combination with normal encoded FLAC files (16 bit, 44,1KHz)?
/edit
I found >30 hours with BT and MP3... it seems it's similar to my M7 -> that's enough for me....

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #803 of 2,501
After a micro sd is inserted, you can go into settings and choose. It's right at the bottom before logout.

Sweet, thanks Adam

Sure, it is 1.0.2.

Its battery life is not good, but it is not somewhat terrible that I would consider it as defective immediately.

I will wait 2 - 3 days more to see if it gets better.

Anyway, I tried using a stopwatch to measure its charging time from 25% to 100%. It took 1 hour and 10 minutes, not around 40 mins estimated by the software.

I hope the battery life is better. Although FiiO claims 9 - 10 hours, users in my community said it can last 14 - 15 hours. Their feedback about battery life is quite good. Some even mentioned that how come FiiO has only 9 - 10 hours for its specification. Mine is not likely to hit 9 hours of continuous use.

Yeah, keep a watchful eye out. There's no shame in returning and getting another though.

Battery failure or having a bad one isn't uncommon.

Dec 15, 2018 at 3:52 PM Post #804 of 2,501
Has anyone found a way to make the song names scroll from right to left when the song name is too long for the width of the screen.

There are quite a few folders that have a naming system that has the first few words take up the space before the actual name of the song so I need to click on each to see the entire name. I can’t seem to find any other text options that cater to longer song names?

Dec 15, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #805 of 2,501
@FiiO
I have another question for a 3rd party music player alternative.
In my mind one of the best Android music player is the gonemad player -> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=gonemad.gmmp&hl=en_US
The development is very good and the developer is very fast to fix issues. For normal audio files such MP3 / FLAC, ogg etc. pp best support with gain control, limiter, EQ, X-Fade, replay-gain, playback speed & pitch control, gapless playback (FLAC AND MP3 (perfect gapless) and many, many more. I don't know if the player can play HiRes audio files - but for normal audio files it's the perfect alternative player.
I miss many things in your FiiO music app such a better EQ, balance via BT, a better database sorting etc. pp. That's the reason why I prefer 3rd party music player.

Can you check this app for your white list please? I ordered a M9 today and it would be great to have a perfect hardware device in combination with a perfect 3rd music player app. :wink:

Dec 15, 2018 at 5:10 PM Post #807 of 2,501
So, I got my M9 a couple of days ago. And I must say, my first impression was not very good. However, read on, as it at least improved :)
I like the looks, size and weight, and I love the promise that it makes, in terms of high fidelity audio, good DAC, and ability to run Spotify etc.

However I ran into several issues that were quite painful:
- Using LDAC, I had a lot of drop-outs, at first I thought it would be related to my location; too much interference, but no
- I found out that it doesn't support 5ghz wifi
- After downloading most of my collection in Spotify to SD card, on a reboot, the SD card was not found, and Spotify forgot that I had a library on the SD card, even after the card became available again, requiring to completely redownload the collection. Also moving library data from internal to SD was giving me errors about possible permission issues etc.
- I ran into quite a few performance hick-ups, especially when downloading or transfering music
- It wasn't immediately obvious to me if drivers were installed correctly, or how to switch to USB DAC mode, mainly because the Drivers-drive was always coming back (while using 3g/4g usb sticks, normally these drives disappear after the drivers are installed successfully.
- Probably rather an issue with Windows and Spotify, but if I unplug and replug the DAC, and resume playing on Spotify, I will receive very loud static. If I restart Spotify it is gone. I guess it's because of switching between 44khz 16bit internal audio, and 192khz 24bit etc.

In the end, I found out that the LDAC issue was related to having the wifi on and connected, at least during Spotify. As soon as I turn wifi off, everything is golden, perhaps it would work better if the wifi supported 5ghz.
This is quite the downside for me. I mean playing offline music is great, but being forced to do so isn't. I would love my playlists to remain uptodate while listening to music,
but due to the performance issue and wifi issue, it is not feasable.

That said, after 'mastering' the issues, and actually trying it out as an USB DAC, either with 3.5mm or LDAC to my Sony W1000XM3s, I must say I am quite impressed.
Since my iPhone, iPad and Dell XPS each do not support high quality audio other than AAC for the iOS devices, and my previous Galaxy S9+ causing a lot of hick-ups with LDAC, it is amazing to be able to enjoy it again by using the M9!
I also like the prospect of being able to upgrade to high fidelity headphones like the HD800s.
I hope the SD card issue will be resolved or at least limited, and I hope the wifi issue can also be mitigated by firmware/software, although I worry.

I'm looking forward to dig into TIDAL and compare that with Spotify HQ and local FLACs.
Didn't think I would ever be excited for an "mp3 player" again, 10 years later, apparently I am :)
I don't know, if the issues fixed by @FiiO meanwhile, but it could be the headphones. Several customers (including me) reported that the 1000XM2 and XM3 are having problems (no correct shielding of the headphones) with electr. interferences so that the LDAC BT connection is interrupted or making problems. I tested it with my tablet (WiFi ON) and I have the same issues as you. Without WiFi the headphones are working fine. Maybe it's the same problem with the M9, but the M9 is not the trouble maker. :wink:

Dec 15, 2018 at 6:44 PM Post #808 of 2,501
@FiiO
I have another question for a 3rd party music player alternative.
In my mind one of the best Android music player is the gonemad player -> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=gonemad.gmmp&hl=en_US
The development is very good and the developer is very fast to fix issues. For normal audio files such MP3 / FLAC, ogg etc. pp best support with gain control, limiter, EQ, X-Fade, replay-gain, playback speed & pitch control, gapless playback (FLAC AND MP3 (perfect gapless) and many, many more. I don't know if the player can play HiRes audio files - but for normal audio files it's the perfect alternative player.
I miss many things in your FiiO music app such a better EQ, balance via BT, a better database sorting etc. pp. That's the reason why I prefer 3rd party music player.

Can you check this app for your white list please? I ordered a M9 today and it would be great to have a perfect hardware device in combination with a perfect 3rd music player app. :wink:
That app doesn't appear to be 100% free though.

I'd prefer Fiio just fix some of the known issues with that device that have apparently existed since the M7's release. One of them being when typing in an artist (to search for an artist), the auto search results are showing non artists listed as you type instead of the actual artist. Also when you do have an artist that has been found via a search, clicking that artist plays all songs listed under the artist's name instead of giving you a sub directory of viewing that artist's albums and letting you listen from there.

It would also be nice if a scroll bar was implemented in their app, that way people have a quicker way to scroll through a large catalogue instead of using multiple hand swipes to go through their library (If there is a way to do this and I'm not seeing it, I wasn't aware of the snapshot feature, please let me know).

I haven't played around with this device too much yet since I got it, but I am planning on documenting all of the bugs/improvements I see for this device and letting Fiio know.

Dec 15, 2018 at 8:55 PM Post #809 of 2,501
I don't know, if the issues fixed by @FiiO meanwhile, but it could be the headphones. Several customers (including me) reported that the 1000XM2 and XM3 are having problems (no correct shielding of the headphones) with electr. interferences so that the LDAC BT connection is interrupted or making problems. I tested it with my tablet (WiFi ON) and I have the same issues as you. Without WiFi the headphones are working fine. Maybe it's the same problem with the M9, but the M9 is not the trouble maker. :wink:

Wifi being turned ON on the M9 does cause issues with BT correct.

The Wifi (802.11) frequency supported on the M9 is 2.4##GHz which is the nearly the same as Bluetooth and has a lot of overlapp. Add in lack of resources on the device and whatever wireless chipset they are using (in regards to synchronously doing I/O on 2.4GHz Wifi with Spotify while broadcasting BT) and this could lead to a resource problem maybe as well. The third possible thing that could be happening is interference either in the electrical realm locally on the M9.

No idea which of the three (RF interference, lack of parallel synchronous wireless broadcasting prowress due to processing power, local electrical interferance) is causing it.

d40f7ddb65b3f4655b2acb96cadeeb3d38a556c4798fc9e4319fcfd0f541877d.gif

Dec 15, 2018 at 11:18 PM Post #810 of 2,501
Screenshot - hold the track rocker "up" and on/off button at the same time.

Where do the screenshots end up? This doesn't seem to work for me.

Hey :)
Now, I ordered my M9, but I have a question.
Has anyone checked the M9 running time via BT headphones (LDAC) in combination with normal encoded FLAC files (16 bit, 44,1KHz)?
/edit
I found >30 hours with BT and MP3... it seems it's similar to my M7 -> that's enough for me....

Seems to be about 20 hours -- the battery dropped at about half the rate it did with headphones plugged in when I timed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back