FiiO M9 , Android based Hi-Res smart DAP with 3.5/2.5 powerful output|AKM4490 X2 |WiFi|aptX/aptX HD/LDAC/HWA(LHDC)|USB DAC|USB AUDIO OUT
Nov 18, 2018 at 9:12 PM Post #482 of 2,501
1. Is the volume control digital or analog ( resistive ) ?
2. How many volts rms does the amp output from into balanced load while being set to low gain?

1: Fully digital. It has a free scrolling physical volume wheel on the side but that's just to facilitate that digital stepping.
2: Check the spec sheet on the website or if its not there, send FiiO an email asking

Nov 19, 2018 at 5:47 AM Post #486 of 2,501
Scanning issues persist. I found some tracks and even albums missing after searching in Artists category (they appear if Folder mode though). Rescanning didn't help: no matter how many times I performed it I received the same information - 12 new tracks added, but unfortunately nothing changed. The missing tracks work perfectly fine my other DAPs, namely Questyle QP1R, Fiio X5 II and Astell & Kern AK100 Mk2.
Has someone else experienced this kind of problem? Is there a cure for that?

Nov 19, 2018 at 6:04 AM Post #487 of 2,501
Scanning issues persist. I found some tracks and even albums missing after searching in Artists category (they appear if Folder mode though). Rescanning didn't help: no matter how many times I performed it I received the same information - 12 new tracks added, but unfortunately nothing changed. The missing tracks work perfectly fine my other DAPs, namely Questyle QP1R, Fiio X5 II and Astell & Kern AK100 Mk2.
Has someone else experienced this kind of problem? Is there a cure for that?
Yeah, I've also noticed this behavior. Fortunately, it's just one track. Doesn't show in album view, but works fine under folder mode.

The M9 sounds nice, but the firmware leaves much to desire...

Nov 19, 2018 at 7:08 AM Post #489 of 2,501
Agree with everybody. A radio streaming app, home network streaming and also music app that enables casting. Spotifi's app is clever because it will cast. Fiio's app will not. That means we can cast spotify but not one's own music library. A strange omission from a one DAP does all. Bluetooth is very good though. I only have an Aptx bluetooth receiver, connected to a DAC, to an Amptastic Mini-1 amp and speakers but it sounds very good. Does Aptx HD sound a lot better in real world use than just APTX?

Nov 21, 2018 at 5:12 AM Post #491 of 2,501
Sorry if it has been said before, my head is spinning between all the DAP threads I am interested in getting.
Does the M9 support offline mode on Tidal? If yes are we limited to the 2gb internal memory or can the downloads be saved on the SD card?
Thanks

Nov 21, 2018 at 5:31 AM Post #492 of 2,501
Sorry if it has been said before, my head is spinning between all the DAP threads I am interested in getting.
Does the M9 support offline mode on Tidal? If yes are we limited to the 2gb internal memory or can the downloads be saved on the SD card?
Thanks

I have a 256GB SD-Card in my M9 and i can use offline mode on Tidal and Spotify. You can choose the storage location in both Apps.

Nov 21, 2018 at 6:40 AM Post #493 of 2,501
So i'm unsure whether if i want to sell my Hiby R3 to buy the Fiio M9 or just sell it completely and buy something else... I'm somewhat hesitant on the Fiio 9 due to the software problems that people are reporting about. I do like the look UI interface and build quality of the Fiio M9, but what people are reporting about on the firmware leaving much to be desired isn't really instilling much confident to whether i should get it...

Nov 21, 2018 at 7:13 AM Post #494 of 2,501
So i'm unsure whether if i want to sell my Hiby R3 to buy the Fiio M9 or just sell it completely and buy something else... I'm somewhat hesitant on the Fiio 9 due to the software problems that people are reporting about. I do like the look UI interface and build quality of the Fiio M9, but what people are reporting about on the firmware leaving much to be desired isn't really instilling much confident to whether i should get it...

What software problems?? All the standard apps works great.... It's only some UI translation It's a great little player...

Nov 21, 2018 at 7:17 AM Post #495 of 2,501
Thanks
I believe this video explains how to perform that action. It's in spanish though.

It sounds like most the firmware concerns with this device, at least regarding their fiio app, appear to have been carried over from the M7. I don't think any of them are a non-buy for me at the moment. All of the reviews I've read/seen overwhelming give the sound a good rating.

I'm still most likely going to get it as it meet all of my needs. If you want an alternative you can checkout the Pioneer XDP-300R. It's in the same price range as the M9, but slightly higher (I think $360). Don't know much about them but the Android UI is much faster according to this guy:

It keeps nearly all of the Android OS features in it except the camera. I'm not sure how well it sounds though.

The guy in the review also does a comparison of all of the other DAPs in the video, including the M9. He doesn't really go too deep into all of the features (he does mention that he needs more time to play with it) just explains what he likes and doesn't like.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back