FiiO M9 , Android based Hi-Res smart DAP with 3.5/2.5 powerful output|AKM4490 X2 |WiFi|aptX/aptX HD/LDAC/HWA(LHDC)|USB DAC|USB AUDIO OUT
Nov 9, 2018 at 3:31 AM Post #406 of 2,501
My M9 arrived yesterday. First impressions are very very good so far. I have owned a first gen X3 years ago, and this DAP is certainly a day and night difference.

I can comment more on it after I picked up my DM6 later tonight, but the M9 already pairs amazingly well with the RHA MA750.

Oh yeah, did anyone figure out what the "Balance Boost" option does?

Not sure, but I think it raises the output performance (but only) in balanced mode. ((≥24mW(300Ω / THD+N<1%,balanced turbo off)
≥77mW(300Ω / THD+N<1%,balanced turbo on) ((ps. According to the laws of physics this accumulator time ... I think, can reduce it. ))
I have Q5 and this is more than 7mW (I have AM3B ≥70mW(300Ω / THD+N<1% in balanced ) That's a lot of HD650 and even bigger (600ohm)
Much stronger was the amplifier than the X3iii. The tone should be similar to the X3iii, since AKM4990 is there.

If you have an android phone, you can try to use it with USB as DAC / bAMP (by this UAPP / Hiby / FiiO music). I'm interested in whether it works (iOS so well) or someone who has tried it with a droid.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2018 at 8:18 PM Post #411 of 2,501
Yes, I saw it. Then promptly forgot the last screen, which is the one showing you how to go back. You can see it again if you select the help under the FiiO Music settings.

Nov 10, 2018 at 3:37 AM Post #412 of 2,501
I was purchased it and get impressed. It’s good with Tidal Hifi, but there are a big issue with LDAC connection between M9 and WH-1000xM3, with LDAC sound quality first, it can’t connect smoothly without strange sound and lag, the same with LDAC standard with lesser issues, so I switched to aptx HD and it’s good now. Just let’s you know the problem.
It also miss connection with wifi sometimes and keep cycle until I reboot it.

Nov 10, 2018 at 6:25 AM Post #413 of 2,501
I got my BGVP DM6 in yesterday along with a balanced cable. The DM6 might be a bit too sensitive, but there's noticeable hiss on the 2.5mm balanced out. On the 3.5mm it's strangely barely noticeable - how come? I can sort of live with that, as the sound of the 2,5mm balanced out is damn impressive.

Nov 10, 2018 at 5:52 PM Post #414 of 2,501
I got my BGVP DM6 in yesterday along with a balanced cable. The DM6 might be a bit too sensitive, but there's noticeable hiss on the 2.5mm balanced out. On the 3.5mm it's strangely barely noticeable - how come? I can sort of live with that, as the sound of the 2,5mm balanced out is damn impressive.

I don’t think that’s unusual. Balanced is more power, more power to the hiss as well as the signal.

Nov 10, 2018 at 10:32 PM Post #418 of 2,501
I simply don't understand, why Fiio does not allow installation of third party apps? Or why there are no google services pre-installed on the device?
I mean it's literally the only thing that's stopping me from buying any of their M devices. I'm listening music through spotify and some other apps that are not white listed.
Oh, and bluetooth 5.0, guys kindly consider adding it to your newer devices :p

Nov 10, 2018 at 10:47 PM Post #420 of 2,501
I simply don't understand, why Fiio does not allow installation of third party apps? Or why there are no google services pre-installed on the device?
I mean it's literally the only thing that's stopping me from buying any of their M devices. I'm listening music through spotify and some other apps that are not white listed.
Oh, and bluetooth 5.0, guys kindly consider adding it to your newer devices :p

I've provided an answer from what FiiO has told me already in my past posts.

The M9 uses a low power Exynos SoC with two A53 cores. It's meant to be wearables based and does not have the processing power to do full android + wireless (Wifi+high res BT) + Google Play Services and running unrestricted apps.

As far as I know, this is the only device I would be able to use (outside say an nvidia shield) where I can use it as a transmitter from my computer via usb to an LDAC capable headphone. Is that true?

You mean PC Source -> USB C -> M9 -> Bluetooth LDAC?

Most Android phones support LDAC past 8.1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back