1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

FiiO M9 , Android based Hi-Res smart DAP with 3.5/2.5 powerful output|AKM4490 X2 |WiFi|aptX/aptX HD/LDAC/HWA(LHDC)|USB DAC|USB AUDIO OUT

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by JamesFiiO, Aug 10, 2018.
First

Back
81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90
92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101
Next

Last
  1. bgtip
    Spotify is available for installation on M9, and it works with paid accounts, so I don't see why not. It doesn't make sense as the others commented but if you want to you can.

Dobrescu George likes this.
  2. TheoS53
    I'm not at liberty to give out too much info, but I've seen FiiO's planned road map for 2019 and they've got some interesting new products on the way. For that reason you might want to hold out on deciding between the M9 and R3 as the upcoming stuff form FiiO might fit your needs better.

zeppu08 likes this.
  3. gazzington
    valid points, ill use one of my old mobile phones.

4. zls88
    I got the M9 and then later the R3. The size and shape of the M9 are really perfect, but a few things make the R3 the better pick, at least for me, as someone who keeps all his music in flac on the SD card:
    1. the clipping on M9 on a lot of my music is really nuts. Frankly I'm shocked that this made it into the release... until this is fixed I can't recommend the player to anyone.
    2. M9 UX is great compared to a lot of players, but Hiby is the best I've seen. Small details are just better; for example, on the M9 if you are scrolling fast through your albums, the scrolling will lag as album art renders. not so with R3.
    3. MSEB and EQ on R3 are really fantastic.
    4. R3 seems to work with *all* my USB-C cables including the anker fast-charging ones, not so for M9.
    I'm not an EQ purist so MSEB trumps any arguments about the way the two DAPs sound for me. If you refuse to tweak the stock tone in software, I could see that being a reason to get the M9. Also my guess is that the M9's battery life is better.

zeppu08 likes this.
  5. gLer
    For me the R3 is too small and underpowered (amp-wise). It does seem to be more powerful CPU-wise than the M9, and the R3 EQ is killer. An M9 with the R3 EQ and processing power would be the ideal dap for me. I’m sure it’s coming soon enough...

6. gazzington
    Lol so R3 with an amp would be killer!

7. gLer
    Yeah except I’ve never seen the point of using a dap with an external amp. The whole point (for me) is simplifying to one audio-focused device. Otherwise I’d just use my phone (or phone with an amp). My phone can act as a source just as well as any dap (in fact the Fiio and HiBy music apps are available on my phone for free). The M9 is as good as it gets right now for the money I’m willing to spend on a dap, but I imagine in the next year or so all my wishlist items will be ticked off in a $300 dap, and I reckon Fiio will be the one to build it.

8. gazzington
    i agree, i think the m9 ticks off most of my boxes (although ive not tried the m6). I think i prefer the sound on the fiio x5iii but m9 works better. Ill probably be sticking with fiio for my portable work set up. Akse100 and wm1a for home use.

9. gLer
    At home I have the desktop rig which is on a different planet to the mobile setup but also costs 5x more. If I went all-mobile it would be AK and Campfire for sure. Fiio is the perfect ‘Goldilocks’ for how often I use the mobile rig.

10. zls88
    Yes this is a good point, the R3 amp is definitely weaker. All these DAPs are getting so good though; the Hiby R6/R6 Pro is also sort of the best of both worlds. I'm still waiting on seeing how they handle the clipping problem before I commit to buying another FiiO product though.

11. gLer
    Yep, HiBy R6 is great but overkill. Slap in a more powerful CPU and RAM into the M9, maybe tweak it slightly to accommodate the extra horsepower, throw in multitasking for system wide EQ, and we have a perfect dap for far less money than the all-or-nothing R6.

zls88 likes this.
  12. dharmasteve
    Under what conditions is there clipping with the FiiO M9? Is it a generic problem or just with some units?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  13. Brooko Contributor
    I’ve never had an issue with clipping. Would be curious to know what conditions causing it.

14. zls88
    to be honest I don't know enough about audio engineering to understand why it happens, but @Sven2015 explained that it has something to do with the preamp not being set to -6dB. It seems like something that should be fixable via firmware and I've alerted FiiO but again I'm surprised that the device made it live like this.

If you have an M9 you can try this track to see if it clips: https://www.dropbox.com/s/512kto98uozyj6t/02 Long Road No Turns.flac?dl=1

I've also noticed it to a lesser degree on music of varying different genres, e.g. the new Earl Sweatshirt release. but on this song it's particularly jarring.

15. dharmasteve
    Wow that's quite a track. My head is clipping, but my M9 is not. At least I don't think so. I'm pretty sure it isn't. I played it through Tin Audio T2 IEM and also to my HiFi through APTX-HD receiver and Arcam DAC. Maybe it's a setting or just a problem M9.

First

Back
81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90
92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101
Next

Last