1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

FiiO M9 , Android based Hi-Res smart DAP with 3.5/2.5 powerful output|AKM4490 X2 |WiFi|aptX/aptX HD/LDAC/HWA(LHDC)|USB DAC|USB AUDIO OUT

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by JamesFiiO, Aug 10, 2018.
First

Back
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
Next

Last
  1. superuser1
    I am very interested to know the same. I wonder if they managed to do that finally on the X5 III?

2. seanwee
    Got to demo the M9 and I must say, I like it more than the X5iii.

stenog likes this.
  3. stenog
    In what way? Less warm, more clarity/details?

Another thing! Where do you demo all these daps, you seems to have access to all released and not released daps. I envy you :):L3000:

4. ValSilva
    Can you compare, when you do the review, M9, DX120 and N5ii? Thanks a lot :)

5. seanwee
    To be honest, I'm not sure myself. Just right place right time?

Anyways, the M9 has a more, "correct" tonality and isn't as coloured as the X5iii. It's more articulate, revealing and neutral yet is still a little warm. Kind of like my Opus 1 metal to be honest.

6. seanwee
    Hehehe, I have them all here :wink:

The $300 trio

20181005_203417.jpg

7. stenog
    Thanks. I assume you live in Asia (you don't need to answer this).

The M9 is on my list for a future small, easy to carry dap. My LG G6 is getting old and I don't think I will buy another LG phone. So I will need a small top notch dap on the go that also supports Tidal.

8. ValSilva
    Awesome, thanks.

9. seanwee
    I find it amusing that the M9 is actually slightly smaller than the M7

20181005_205206.jpg

10. oldmate
    I have your fingerprints now - running them through the FBI database. I'll find out where you live!!:grin:

Titoyago and stenog like this.
  11. seanwee
    Hah, you'll likely find the fingerprints of the staff instead :p

I never let my hands get that oily.

stenog likes this.
  12. seanwee
    DX120 vs M9

20181005_201413.jpg

Comparing the DX120 and the M9, the difference between target audience is clear. The DX120 is audiophile oriented while the M9 is mainstream consumer oriented.

The DX120 is noticeably more accomplished on a technical level. Its clearer, more detailed, more articulate and more revealing while having better macro and micro dynamics. Soundstage is noticeably wider on the DX120 too.

Drastic as it sounds, the difference between the DX120 and M9 is actually smaller compared to the difference between the M9 and the X5iii.

Personally, I think the M9 would be for people who want a more tonally accurate X5iii but still want a similar level of warmth.

One odd thing about FiiO daps is that they seem to lack bass extension. They don't rumble as deep as it should. Anybody notice the same thing?

Richter Di and Palash like this.
  13. doowap
    I see you have the Cayin N3. That is my current dap and I notice the same thing, a lack of deep bass extension/rumble, when I compare it with my fiio q1mkii or my schiit modi2u/magni2u stack. In your opinion, how would the m9 compare?

14. seanwee
    In that case the M9 would definitely lack rumble for you.

The DX120 has the deepest bass I've heard but it isn't the most controlled. Well, slightly tighter than the M9 but not as controlled as the N5ii.

15. doowap
    Hopefully I can live with it. In all other ways, this looks like a great upgrade from the n3. One other question, does it by chance do variable level line out? I need 1.3vrms or less for my car but prefer 1.5+ for all other situations.

First

Back
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
Next

Last