FiiO M9 , Android based Hi-Res smart DAP with 3.5/2.5 powerful output|AKM4490 X2 |WiFi|aptX/aptX HD/LDAC/HWA(LHDC)|USB DAC|USB AUDIO OUT
Nov 27, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #571 of 2,501
Nice review thanks.
One point, the volume nob on the left side makes totally sense for touch screen device and right-handed people as you will hold the device in the left hand and navigate on the touch screen with your right hand.

No I just use my right hand alone, not my left :)

Nov 27, 2018 at 10:39 AM Post #573 of 2,501
Nov 27, 2018 at 4:46 PM Post #577 of 2,501
Yeah, not kidding. Like with my phone, it's one-handed manipulation. Who's with me? #teamrighthand

Hmm, ok the size of the M9 probably will allow for that.
I will see how I will end up with my M9, as a two hand user or right hand user.:beyersmile:

Nov 27, 2018 at 5:02 PM Post #578 of 2,501
Just got mine in the mail today, first impressions are very good! This is a big upgrade from my Cayin N3 both in terms of sound quality and features. I find that compared to the N3 the soundstage is more open, but at the same time it has a more "planted" sound, if that makes sense. Maybe its a little warmer, a little less analytical than the N3. Sound signature wise, it's more like my Fiio X3ii but more refined. I think I also like it better than my Fiio Q1mkii, but I'm pretty stoked on it so take that with a grain of salt. The killer features for me are Tidal offline, power output (especially balanced), full 2Vrms LO, and good standby time. I also like all the bluetooth options. Looking forward to LDAC bluetooth receiver mode in future updates. UI is smooth and easy to get used to, no issues so far. The Fiio music app is quite good. I'm feeling like I got a lot of DAP for the money. If you are on the fence about this DAP, I'd say go for it. So stoked on my new toy! By the way, this stacks very well with the Fiio A5 and that combo easily drives my 600ohm beyers. I'd say excuse the ramble but... this is head-fi. Y'all are probably used to it :)

I have the cayin n3 and I am very interested in your impressions. In comparison with the n3, as it is perceived the following:

- Dynamics
- Background Noise
- Resolution /Clarity
- Detail
- In the revision of Headfonia, they mention that the bass is very soft ... Have you noticed this? Taking into account that the cayin n3 has a good bass punch.

Regards,
Juan Luis.

Nov 27, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #579 of 2,501
Can anyone tell me why the Fiio M9 is not yet selling on Amazon?

Also, there is one US seller on Ebay (savistore) selling Fiio M9s and they claim to be an "OFFICIAL AUTHORIZED FIIO DEALER"; however, I can't find that name on the fiio dealers page.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fiio-M9-Po...-Loseless-Audio-Player-DAC-Black/392169561391

Any thoughts?

I was looking more into the fact that they dont offer returns.

Not sure why its not on amazon. I dont believe these current sellers were selling past products via amazon and i wasnt seeing any current ones selling them on their site. Perhaps fiio themselves arent because they wanted to get the silver one ready.

Nov 27, 2018 at 6:12 PM Post #580 of 2,501

Not sure why its not on amazon. I dont believe these current sellers were selling past products via amazon and i wasnt seeing any current ones selling them on their site. Perhaps fiio themselves arent because they wanted to get the silver one ready.
My M9 arrived with a defective screen and they offered me a return today... It looks like they don't allow returns for international buyers...

Nov 27, 2018 at 6:33 PM Post #581 of 2,501

Because they probably need thousands of units first to even fill the demand

Nov 27, 2018 at 6:59 PM Post #582 of 2,501

No, you would need a 2.5mm on the male balanced end to plug in the balanced output, then you'd set the volume to max, to simulate a Line Out. It still wouldn't be a true Line Out, but the signal is very clean on the balanced end, so it should work like this.

---

Anyone knows how to install new apps on M9? Can this be done? :)

Nov 27, 2018 at 7:21 PM Post #583 of 2,501
Nov 27, 2018 at 7:24 PM Post #584 of 2,501
I have the cayin n3 and I am very interested in your impressions. In comparison with the n3, as it is perceived the following:

- Dynamics
- Background Noise
- Resolution /Clarity
- Detail
- In the revision of Headfonia, they mention that the bass is very soft ... Have you noticed this? Taking into account that the cayin n3 has a good bass punch.

Regards,
Juan Luis.

Ok, so I don't want to pretend I can speak authoritatively about the difference between sources. Take my impressions with a grain of salt. By the way, so far I have tested it with my Hifiman re-600V2 iems single ended, as well as M9>fiio A5 amp>hd600 and beyer dt880 600ohm. I find that the bass is a bit thicker than the N3. For some reason, the N3 always sounded lean to me. N3 has good sub-bass, but the mid-bass seems a bit light. This lends the mids an airiness, and overall makes it sound a bit analytical to me. In comparison, the M9 sounds more fun. Whether it is more "detailed" is hard to say. To me, the m9 has a blacker background, and better separation between instruments. A bit more midbass emphasis. Treble is smooth but more airy than the N3. Vocals are more fluid sounding. I don't notice the bass being soft. I don't know what that's about. Overall, I think it's a clear upgrade in sound quality with a bit more fun sound sig. I won't miss my N3.

Nov 27, 2018 at 9:28 PM Post #585 of 2,501
Ok, so I don't want to pretend I can speak authoritatively about the difference between sources. Take my impressions with a grain of salt. By the way, so far I have tested it with my Hifiman re-600V2 iems single ended, as well as M9>fiio A5 amp>hd600 and beyer dt880 600ohm. I find that the bass is a bit thicker than the N3. For some reason, the N3 always sounded lean to me. N3 has good sub-bass, but the mid-bass seems a bit light. This lends the mids an airiness, and overall makes it sound a bit analytical to me. In comparison, the M9 sounds more fun. Whether it is more "detailed" is hard to say. To me, the m9 has a blacker background, and better separation between instruments. A bit more midbass emphasis. Treble is smooth but more airy than the N3. Vocals are more fluid sounding. I don't notice the bass being soft. I don't know what that's about. Overall, I think it's a clear upgrade in sound quality with a bit more fun sound sig. I won't miss my N3.

I appreciate your comments =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back