FiiO M9 , Android based Hi-Res smart DAP with 3.5/2.5 powerful output|AKM4490 X2 |WiFi|aptX/aptX HD/LDAC/HWA(LHDC)|USB DAC|USB AUDIO OUT
Apr 5, 2019 at 5:30 PM Post #1,756 of 2,501
I'm going to skip the M11 as well. If I jump up, it will be the Hiby 6 Pro. I'm not into minor upgrades and the slow UI doesn't bother me since I mostly listen to music and don't play around on it. I have a phone for that.
I don’t think the HiBy 6 Pro is much of a jump over the M11, if at all. If you want a real jump you’re looking at A&K. The M11 fixes all the shortcomings of the M9 for me, so it’s not so much a jump as a much-needed ‘correction’. The next step up from the M11 is a desktop replacement dap, which is then overkill for me.

Apr 5, 2019 at 5:39 PM Post #1,757 of 2,501
I don’t think the HiBy 6 Pro is much of a jump over the M11, if at all. If you want a real jump you’re looking at A&K. The M11 fixes all the shortcomings of the M9 for me, so it’s not so much a jump as a much-needed ‘correction’. The next step up from the M11 is a desktop replacement dap, which is then overkill for me.

It's an expensive "correction". I couldn't justify paying an extra £200 for something the M9 should have been even if I return it for a refund. The M9 got good reviews so I went with that, it's just a shame it's so underpowered and probably should have done a bit more research.

Apr 5, 2019 at 5:56 PM Post #1,758 of 2,501
It's an expensive "correction". I couldn't justify paying an extra £200 for something the M9 should have been even if I return it for a refund. The M9 got good reviews so I went with that, it's just a shame it's so underpowered and probably should have done a bit more research.
I think the M9 is very fairly priced for what it does well (single function fully balanced dap/dac with excellent BT features). FiiO just tried to milk it with too many features that they really should have known it wouldn’t be able to handle. I also think the M11 is very fairly priced for what it does and what it can actually do.

It’s a bit of a case of the M9 being too good to be true, but actually being a good dap for the money. I thought I was getting a bargain with the M9 given I would have paid $450+ for what I *thought* the M9 could do. Turns out I’ll have to (and will) pay that much to get everything the M9 promised to do that the M11 can do, plus some really compelling extras.

Apr 7, 2019 at 8:47 AM Post #1,761 of 2,501
You have heard both? Or are you just talking?
Purely based on specs and features, like most of us. Hence the words 'I don't think' in my assertion - it's an opinion. No-one has heard both yet, as far as I can tell. From reviews so far the HiBy doesn't interest me in the least. If I was to spend that much on a dap it would be A&K not HiBy.

Apr 7, 2019 at 7:23 PM Post #1,762 of 2,501
Hello. I’ve followed this thread from beginning. I own the M9. For nearly a month now. Coming from Sony NW A45 which I liked enough to ditch Apple. M9 sounds better than A45. It sits near the limit of affordability for me. I am not a WiFi music streamer so many of the complaints here have not affected me. However, M9 is still problematic for me: poor battery life, imprecise volume dial, Bluetooth glitches, over sensitive external buttons. However, the most irritating thing for me is album art in tile view mode. Yes, the UI is laggy but I can accept that. What I struggle to accept is album art erroneously displayed. What galls me is there is no way to remedy it. I’ve tried prit near everything. It’s perhaps petty, I know, but the album is beautiful to me and I want it displayed correctly. For all its other failings, well, this is just so basic an expectation. M9 sounds better than anything I’ve had before, and I’ve become attached to my new toy. If there was a viable alternative at this price I’d ditch it but there isn’t at least for me. Using Moondrop KPE with it. Amazing sound.

Apr 7, 2019 at 11:54 PM Post #1,763 of 2,501
Does anyone else have any problems with WiFi randomly disconnecting on the M9?

I have had it since 19/02/19 and it has been connected to both my home router and my phone as a WiFi hotspot. I have compared other devices connected to the same networks and when the M9 signal strength indicator goes blank everything else remains connected so the problem isn't the network. Sometimes it will remain connected for an hour or 2, other times it will disconnect several times in quick succession. It doesn't seem to matter what quality the file is that's playing and I can literally set the device down within 6 inches of the router (or my phone) and it will still disconnect. For example, while writing this the device has been connected for around 40 minutes then dropped the connection 3 times in the space of 5 minutes. It has been stable for around 10 minutes with the screen on. Power-off timers for Sleep and Idle are set to off, Sleep is set to Never Sleep, Custom lockscreen settings are set to off so pressing buttons with the screen off won't skip or pause tracks, Keep WiFi on during sleep is set to Always. All apps are updated to the latest versions via APKPure.com, firmware has been updated to version 1.0.4 which is the latest on the Fiio website and I have also carried out a factory reset. I have spoken to Amazon who have said that I can return it for a full refund but as I stream most of my music the M9 is the best and most affordable all in one option for me. I've asked on the Fiio Facebook page and emailed Fiio support but haven't had anything back. All I need to know from other owners is whether this is a common issue and something I have to put up with or whether the device is faulty? There are no other settings I can find that would have any effect on the WiFi dropping out. Does the screen need to be kept on? If so, this will result in the battery draining extremely quickly. I mostly use the M9 wirelessly with Bowers & Wilkins PX headphones. Does Bluetooth interfere with the WiFi network card? I have no idea where to go with this other than relenting and returning the device to Amazon and possibly looking for a DAC/DAP/Amp/Bluetooth sender combination but that's going to cost a lot more than I'm wanting to pay.

Thanks in advance.

*EDIT* just after I hit post on this, the WiFi dropped out again with the screen on.
Dear friend,

The wifi disconnecting issue is related to the Samsung chip. We have reported this issue to the Samsung company but fail to get their response currently. This problem needed to be improved by them. :frowning2:

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Apr 8, 2019 at 1:37 AM Post #1,764 of 2,501
Hello. I’ve followed this thread from beginning. I own the M9. For nearly a month now. Coming from Sony NW A45 which I liked enough to ditch Apple. M9 sounds better than A45. It sits near the limit of affordability for me. I am not a WiFi music streamer so many of the complaints here have not affected me. However, M9 is still problematic for me: poor battery life, imprecise volume dial, Bluetooth glitches, over sensitive external buttons. However, the most irritating thing for me is album art in tile view mode. Yes, the UI is laggy but I can accept that. What I struggle to accept is album art erroneously displayed. What galls me is there is no way to remedy it. I’ve tried prit near everything. It’s perhaps petty, I know, but the album is beautiful to me and I want it displayed correctly. For all its other failings, well, this is just so basic an expectation. M9 sounds better than anything I’ve had before, and I’ve become attached to my new toy. If there was a viable alternative at this price I’d ditch it but there isn’t at least for me. Using Moondrop KPE with it. Amazing sound.
These are the same reasons that convinced me to send the product back to Amazon for a refund. Even the Hiby r3 was miles better about wifi bt connectivity and UI. Speaking in general.. I am thinking that for streaming purposes a phone is needed with proper hardware..
My 2 cents.

Apr 8, 2019 at 5:06 AM Post #1,768 of 2,501
Dear friend,

The wifi disconnecting issue is related to the Samsung chip. We have reported this issue to the Samsung company but fail to get their response currently. This problem needed to be improved by them. :frowning2:

Best regards

So are you confirming that this is a hardware fault affecting the WiFi chip in the device and it will not be improved by a future firmware upgrade?

Apr 8, 2019 at 7:07 AM Post #1,770 of 2,501
Dropouts on wifi, apps that don’t have enough power to run, bad bluetooth - I really reget buying an M9!

Yes, when these are your main requirements you would be better off with a mobile phone because you are not using the advantages of the M9.
The M9 is a great sounding DAP with his dual DAC and sufficiently powerful AMP with a balanced output and can handle a large amount and great variety of offline music files.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back